Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I've been a Walther fan for a number of years, but the recent purchase of a P5c has prompted me to look at this forum. Besides the P5c, we also have a P99QA, P22, and an LGR. It also looks like a P1 and possibly a TPH is in our near future as well.

I have posted some range reports on other forums about other pistols, and will also be posting the range report pasted below on a few other sites. I invite you to read it, but I'm sure it will not be anything new to you. I do tend to make my range reports longer and more detailed that what you will typically find on firearm forums, but have also gotten some nice comments on them. On any other forum, I would post a picture of the P5c, but you guys already know what they look like.

regards,
PhilR.

RANGE REPORT, WALTHER P5c:

My new P5c arrived a short time ago, and I thought I would put up some first impressions and a report on it's first trip to the range....

The pistol comes in a very small and cheap plastic box. Very unbefitting for such a famous and expensive handgun. Included is the manual (auf Deutsch), test target, a plastic cleaning rod, and a spare magazine.

Opening the box revealed a beautiful pistol! Mine has wooden grips, which IMO give it a more refined look than does the plastic versions. My FFL dealer was amazed as well, having never seen one of these before. The pistol fills the hand well for a compact sidearm. It's grip length is shorter than a P7, but still long enough for fingers three through five. In fact, the overall size is within a few tenths of an inch of that of the P7, with the exception of thickness (P5c a bit thicker, mostly due to the wood grips). The straight backstrap is checkered, and the frontstrap has vertical grooves.

An interesting thing about the pistol is that the slide release lever is also the decocker. Pushing down once releases the open slide. Push down again and it decocks the hammer. The hammer is more of a nub and looks rather odd when cocked, but it is easy to use. Cocking the hammer is easier than our CZ85, and it has no half-cock notch (doesn't need one). The magazine release is located behind the trigger guard, which is different from the regular P5 which has the heel release. The rear sight is screwdriver adjustable for windage, and the sights are of the three white dot variety. There is no safety, which is not uncommon in a double-action pistol.

Taking the P5c apart reveals how complicated some of the parts are, particularly the barrel assembly. The barrel and locking mechanism has the appearance of being a very complicated piece of machinery. I can't imagine how many steps it took to machine the two pieces that make up the barrel assembly. The slide also seems to be more complicated that most others as well. Now I can understand why they are so expensive. Field stripping is about the easiest that you will find, even easier than a Glock. Remove the magazine, press the muzzle down on the table, flip the takedown lever, and pull the slide off the frame. Since there is no guide rod/spring, the barrel just falls right out of the slide and into your palm.

The recoil springs are located along the sides of the frame, rather than around or under the barrel. There are two springs, one on each side of the frame. The P5 is unusual in that the barrel and slide both move straight rearward upon firing, then the barrel unlocks from the slide and stops, while the slide continues rearward. IOW the barrel moves, but doesn't tilt to unlock. Since the barrel moves rearward with the slide, it's not possible to do a press/pinch-check. The feedramp is built into the frame. The ejection port is on the left, so of course the empties eject to the left.

The pistol was cleaned and then lubed with regular gun oil on the frame/barrel/slide mating surfaces, and Tetra Gun Spray on the mechanism.

Shooting the pistol was a great pleasure, however there were a few hiccups. I had six or seven ejection/feed failures in the 100 rounds fired. I only had regular Blazer on hand (my other autos eat that stuff up, and as it's the cheapest good ammo in these parts, I always have some on hand), so I don't know if this was due to the pistol or the ammo. Felt recoil was about what one would expect for a pistol of this weight.

The trigger was very interesting. The double-action pull was pretty average - very similar to our CZ85, but not nearly as nice as that on my Colt Detective Special. Not greatly smooth, but not exactly gritty either. It has only a hint of stacking at the very end of the pull. The single-action pull however is a very different animal. I would characterize it as a three-stage pull. The first stage is short, has no weight, and just takes up some slack. The second stage lifts up the rear of the firing pin, then comes to a stop. The third stage releases the sear. Sounds unusual to be sure, but the third stage is fairly light and crisp. The last stage has less travel and requires less pressure than does the second stage of my P7PSP. When firing slowly, the crisp letoff seems to be conducive to accuracy.

And accurate this pistol seems to be. I didn't shoot for maximum accuracy, but I did shoot it enough to get a good feel for it, and I'm impressed. The reason why I'm impressed is because the barrel is so short. In fact, it has the shortest barrel I've ever seen in an auto of this general size. It is downright stubby, with the rifled portion just under 2.5" in length. I just didn't think that a pistol with a barrel this short would group so well, however the best group shot that day was with the new P5c. I'm sure that part of this is because the trigger letoff is so much better than our Glocks, H&K's, (other) Walther's and CZ's. I think that with some practice, I could consistently outshoot my P7, whose trigger is not as nice (but still pretty decent in it's own right). The P5c shot to point-of-aim at about seven yards, so I did not adjust the sights at all.

Overall I'm very happy with this new pistol. It's about the perfect size for all-round use - not too big, not too small, not too heavy. I think it is the most handsome of my sidearms, probably due to the wooden grips and the fact that I don't consider our Glocks, Sigs, and other Walthers to be handsome at all. I won't carry it concealed however, as I don't want to put the holster wear on it, and because the G26 makes a better CCW for my purposes anyway. However, if I could only have one centerfire auto, this would be it. I used to say that about my P7, but now the P5c resides on the top shelf in the gun safe.

thanks for reading this far,

PhilR.

Addendum: Second range session, this time with WWB and UMC ammo. Approx. 250 rounds fired without any type of failures. Then went back to Blazer and had a few FTF's. Therefore, it seems that it doesn't like Blazer, but does just fine with regular brass-cased ammo.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Phil: In some guns the aluminum cases do not have sufficient mass to eject positively; for testing purposes, brass-cased ammunition gives more consistent results.

If the grips on your pistol are laminated wood, they are factory original, and were a short-lived experiment. Be extra careful with them. They proved fragile, frequently broke, and were soon supplanted in production by black plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Wonderful write up
thanks so much for taking the time to do this
but I have to say..... we never say no to pics, so post some please :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful write up
thanks so much for taking the time to do this
but I have to say..... we never say no to pics, so post some please :D
Okey-dokey -- you talked me into it. However, it will have to wait for a few days. That nasty four-letter word that starts with "w" you know....

PhilR.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil: In some guns the aluminum cases do not have sufficient mass to eject positively; for testing purposes, brass-cased ammunition gives more consistent results.

If the grips on your pistol are laminated wood, they are factory original, and were a short-lived experiment. Be extra careful with them. They proved fragile, frequently broke, and were soon supplanted in production by black plastic.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that my grips are not factory (look like Nills), but I will check to see if they are laminated when I get home later.

The brass stuff definitely works better in the P5c. I guess I'll have to keep a supply on hand for the Walther. We always have a case or two of Blazer on hand, as our other 9mmm's eat that stuff up. I'm very happy with CCI ammo, as it has proved very reliable, and we can get it locally for under seven bucks a box.

regards,
PhilR.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Blazer Brass works fine in my P5s. I've never used the cheaper Blazer ammo in any of my pistols. Nill grips really make the P5 stand out, but do add to the width considerably. As for the Walther trigger being better than the P7... not so sure about that. My P7s are pretty smooth. The only thing I don't like about my P5 is the serrated trigger. It irritates my finger after extended shooting sessions. Enjoy your pistol. By the way, it you ever do need a holster for a P5/P5c Fist makes a leather IWB at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the write up. WE never say NO to pictures, the more the better!. The single actions trigger on the P5 pistols is strange, I have had a P5 and P5C for a couple years and still have not really mastered the trigger pull. The test targets are way, way tighter than I can shoot them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the write up. WE never say NO to pictures, the more the better!. The single actions trigger on the P5 pistols is strange, I have had a P5 and P5C for a couple years and still have not really mastered the trigger pull. The test targets are way, way tighter than I can shoot them.
I think at times we tend to forget the purpose of the P5, P5c and countless other pistols. These weren't made to be target pistols. Walther did make a long barrel P5 (about 5.3"), but the P5 and P5c are service pistols and as such are plenty accurate. I've never shot them to their fullest potential, but have been more than pleased with their performance. Maybe if my P5 was my carry pistol I would spend more time with it, but it's not. I prefer the HK P7PSP for carry and as a result it gets used quite a bit at the range.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
PhilR -Welcome to the forum - lots of great folks here in info, which is getting stronger with your range report! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences on the P5C! Wood grips?!? Who has wood grips on their Walthers? Gentlemen, show the man....

- Photo

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think at times we tend to forget the purpose of the P5, P5c and countless other pistols. These weren't made to be target pistols. Walther did make a long barrel P5 (about 5.3"), but the P5 and P5c are service pistols and as such are plenty accurate. I've never shot them to their fullest potential, but have been more than pleased with their performance. Maybe if my P5 was my carry pistol I would spend more time with it, but it's not. I prefer the HK P7PSP for carry and as a result it gets used quite a bit at the range.
You know, my problem is I just can't shake the 007 image and Walthers. When I think of P5's, I think of James B. shooting the Russian soldier between the eyes at about 20 yrds, and the other soldier he took out at about 40 yrds in "Octopussy" with a P5. I guess I am a product of the 80's.:cool: Reality comes hard to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LNIB? Current production from Earl's? Just curious?

oh, and welcome to the forum.
I apologize for not answering sooner, but my schedule has been unusally heavy the past few weeks. Any spare time has been spent shooting the P5c (and a few other nice pistols).

Mine is indeed a new pistol from Earl's. Crazy expensive, but it's not like the money is going to do me any good when I'm gone, and I'm old enough to afford it anyway. For the past six months I had kept watch on numerous auctions/websites for a nice Compact, but the prices always went too high for a used weapon. So I just said "what the heck....".

PhilR.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Living right PhilR. Way to go with the NIB P5C and various other fine guns. It is s shame for them to sit in some dark safe for years on end. I am new around here too but I do like the way my P5 shoots.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally, a few pics.....

Hello again,

It took a while, but I finally took some pics of my P5c. I put the following pics in the range reports that I put up on several other forums earlier this evening. The last is a pic of the barrel underneath a Sig 225 barrel, taken to illustrate the overall shortness and complexity of the P5c barrel.
PhilR.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Nice pics... and wonderful looking P5c.. the Nill grips look as always classy...
what date code is the P5c ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice pics... and wonderful looking P5c.. the Nill grips look as always classy...
what date code is the P5c ?
There is "AD" on the right side of the frame, just ahead of the trigger. I'm thinking this means 2003?

PhilR.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Yuppers ... it is 2003

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
That's a beautiful P5c. Thanks for sharing. I'm guessing here that the Nill grips did not come as standard on the gun ... is that correct? (With the price that Earl is asking for his compacts, it's sometimes hard to tell.) :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts