Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

im brand new to the handgun scene and recently purchased a P99 AS..
it's taken about 6 months to get my pistol license, so i've had plenty of time to do some research and am happy i decided to go the Walther Way

question is though.. and it's a newbie question. what difference will a higher 'grain' round make through my gun?

i went to buy some 9mm today.. i asked for 115 grain FMJ and got a box of that and a bo of 147grain FMJ Flat Points

is the P99 likely to have any trouble with the 147?

thanx in advance for any help given

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You will just have to shoot your P99 and see what you and it like best.

Some early version P99s liked 124 gr better since this is what they were tested with at the factory in Germany. later models that were sold here in the US liked 115 gr better since that is what is most common here the guns were marketed for such...you are in NZ. I would imagine that you have a European model...you can tell by the rear sight. (U configuration, not the 2 dots). If that is so it may like the heavier grain better. But again all you can do is go out and see for yourself.

My early P99 likes the heavier better, I shoot 147 gr. My later full size and compact like the 115s. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys..

i put a half box of the 147 flat points down range last night.. produced a better grouping for me, but was a little further off POI..

im so new to pistol shooting, that at this point choosing ammo is a bit premature. i'll concentrate on improving my stance & technique first and then start fine tuning my load

thanx for your help guys.. im going to finish off that box today in my lunch break.. the range is 5 mins from my office :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Grain is representative of the weight of the bullet. Some people believe that the weight makes a difference in self defense rounds. I however has seen lots of data that goes against that. The best weight in most calibers tends to be the middle weight for some reason. (124 if I recall correctly for 9mm) Just stay away from exotic ammo thats 60-70 grains and claims 2200 FPS. They have been less then impressive in ballistics and could fuck your gun up (never did with mine).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess its a bit different here in NZ... we dont really have to worry so much about the stopping power of a defensive round etc... very few people here are armed and/or dangerous :) plus if you do shoot someone here, even in self-defense, you will end up in court..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Along the lines of the grain question, what exactly does 115 Gr. mean? 115 grams?! What is the measurement? What other info about ammo is indicated and what does it mean?

I know I've seen +P and +P+ or something like that, what does that mean?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Along the lines of the grain question, what exactly does 115 Gr. mean?
Gr = Grains, the weight of the bullet. NOT "grams", as grams arent precise enough (grains are smaller than grams). Higher number = heavier bullet.

I know I've seen +P and +P+ or something like that, what does that mean?
+P means it's a higher pressure round, ie there's more explosive power propelling the round, generally 10-15% more pressure. +P+ is 20-25% more pressure.

My own opinion is that +P+ is overkill in 9mm (comparing costs to performance to recoil), but that's just my opinion.

thorn

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thorn, you're a gun godsend :p Thx a bunch for the answers you've provided on here to a lot of my questions!

That being said, I have one more question! I looked at costs of Ammo online, but it seems offset by shipping costs. Is it reasonable to buy online, or will a range typically have lower cost ammo? What is the cheapest I can expect to spend on a box of 9MM that will cycle through the P99?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks - but in the world of guns and ammo and shooting, i've so much to learn... anything i know is only due to others writing it down so i could read it, or showing me. :)

Anyway, on ammo costs: it really depends on where you are, how much you buy, and what kind you want. Three random examples:

Online, I can find 50rd boxes of Blazer Brass for about $7-8, plus shipping.

At Walmart, a 100rd box of Winchester used to be $10, and is now about $14. A 50rd box of Blazer was $8. (Yes, same price as online). Was it on sale? dunno. But i bought a lot of it.

At my gun shop, GoldDot hollowpoints are about $22 for a 20rnd box. At a gunshow, i paid $25 for a 50rnd box of the same ammo. Online, the price varies depending on the merchant. In my experience, the gunshops/ranges always have the HIGHEST price on ammo. Stores like walmart or sporting goods stores usually sell for less.

It's really a shop-around kind of thing. None of my local stores consistently have outstanding prices, but perhaps in your area there might be. Online places can offer great deals - especially if you buy a case - but always factor in the shipping.

thorn

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Lots of posts on varying forums mention that the costs of ammo are skyrocketing because of the war and military needs. Shipping costs also are increasing because of the continued high prices of gasoline and diesel fuels. I've found that shopping around at home is as cost-effective as going online and then paying the shipping costs. WallyWorld in my area right now is selling Winchester 9mm for about $15 for a box of 100. That's up a couple of bucks from just two months ago -- proof, I guess, that the cost of ammo is, indeed, on the rise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks again to both Thorn and searcher, (love your quote btw searcher). I'll probably hit up Wal mart before i go to the range today!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
When I bought my P99 2 weeks ago the gunshop owner mentioned that the price of lead was skyrocketing so high that he probably wasn't going to carry it any more for reloading. Cheapest ammo prices I've found have been online.
But for hollowpoint/speciality ammo, you are going to pay premium prices.
Midway has a great selection and they also sell brand new factory P99 mags for $30...which is a great price.
http://www.midwayusa.com/

My carry ammo in all my pistols has become the MACTEC Extreme Shock ammo. It ain't cheap, but it does what I want ammo to do:

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/ggs/catalog.html&setup=141&cart_id=

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
93 Posts
Something to note for the original poster...

The different bullet weights will change the Point Of Impact.

You may find that, for you, 115 grain bullets will shoot Point Of Aim for you.

Or 124 grain bullets will.

It will depend greatly on the individual pistol and the individual shooter.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I have found that Walmart has the cheapest ammo prices when factoring in shipping prices from online sellers. The only problem with Walmart is that you can usually only buy a few boxes at a time.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
You will just have to shoot your P99 and see what you and it like best.

Some early version P99s liked 124 gr better since this is what they were tested with at the factory in Germany. later models that were sold here in the US liked 115 gr better since that is what is most common here the guns were marketed for such...you are in NZ. I would imagine that you have a European model...you can tell by the rear sight. (U configuration, not the 2 dots). If that is so it may like the heavier grain better. But again all you can do is go out and see for yourself.

My early P99 likes the heavier better, I shoot 147 gr. My later full size and compact like the 115s. :rolleyes:
I would still like to see verification that the newer P99s like the 115 gr. better than the 124 gr. as an intentional design feature.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
From Wikipedia:

"After WWII, the common weight of the 9mm was changed to 8.0g (124 gr) to increase the accuracy of the ammunition. Many police departments that use 9mm rounds in their handguns switched to this weight after the investigation of the FBI shootout in Miami in 1986, because the lighter 7.4g (115gr) loading used by the officers was found to be less effective than a heavier load like the 8.0g. Bullets weighing up to 9.5g (147gr) are available."

I have found that 124 grain in ALL the 9MM pistols I've owned gave superior accuracy over 115 grain. This may also be due to the fact that 124 grain is mainly available in "Premium" ammo and not in the cheap stuff. :D

Also...Wallyworld may be a good source for cheap FMJ ammo, but all the Wallys I've been to have ZERO selection of hollowpoint ammo. Sportsmans Guide has S&B 9MM FMJ ammo for $8.52 a box. No Wallyworld I've been to can match that price. Yes, you need to add shipping. But you DON'T have to pay tax. So it balances out, and you can buy all the ammo you want.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.