Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but since I'm not an experienced shooter, much of the termonology goes over my head. I'm interested in buying the P99, but I don't fully understand the differences between the QA and the AS. Can someone explain in plan english what the differences are, and examples of when and under what circumstances one feature is preffered over the other? I'm used to shooting a Beretta 92F. That has the external hammer, so the P99 is a completely different beast. Seems the AS is the most popular, but some have said it comes down to personal preference. Since I don't fully understand the difference, I'm not sure what my personal preference really is yet.

thanks for the help/advice

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Walther P99 AS .40 S&W, and I love the trigger pull. There's really no stress until you get to the end of the trigger pull, which then fires the bullet. I've shot my friends 9mm Beretta and his Springfield Armory XD .40 S&W, and I tell you the trigger pull on the Walther P99 is so much smoother. I think he might even end up getting a Walther P99 himself after shooting my gun.:D
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QA= Glock. Try the pull on a Glock and you'll find the QA to be pretty similar. Consistant long fairly heavy pull on each shot.

AS= DA/SA (Double Action/ Single Action) but with a striker rather than a hammer. You will have a long DA pull on the first shot. Aprox 8 lbs, if memory serves. Follow up shots will be roughly half that with a short SA type pull. After reloads, the AS will reset to the forward (DA) trigger position with a very light (hence the AS term) pull back to the SA position (essentially you have a long DA pull but with a light SA feel on the first shot after a reload. You also have the option to decock the AS at any time and return to the long DA 8 lbs pull.

Hope I got all that right. I really prefer the AS model over every other handgun trigger I have tried, save for the 1911. You just can't beat it in a modern combat pistol, IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice

I went and bought a new P99 AS today, so I guess that will be my new preference. I have to wait until Monday to pick it up, but the decision has been made.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I haven't really seen a description of the AS trigger in print that I thought did it justice, so I can understand your frustration in trying to get a handle on it.

I think that once you get your hands on the AS you'll appreciate the subtile advantages of that trigger system. The ability to perform very fast follow up shots and the excellence of the decocker arrangement will become very apparent and you'll be quite happy with your new purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts