Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello, thanks for letting me into the group and that I look forward to learning more about Walthers, especially the P38 and P1. I'm fortunate enough to work in the firearms industry here in NZ and lucky in that I can keep my eyes open for interesting firearms, my most recent pistol acquisition being a P1. I also have a DWM 30 Luger, a Norinco 1911 45ACP, A Webley and Scott MkIV in 38S&W, so the P1 was a good fit. I reload ammunition, so if you have a good recipe for a FMJ load, that'll shoot and function the pistol well without overloading the it, please do share.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome from Georgia, USA. I once spent two interesting weeks in your beautiful country - Ohakea RNZ Air Base - some years ago (1976) and loved it. Below is just one of many pictures I took.

Water Plant Water resources Ecoregion Tree

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome from another Chris and former resident of Ngaio. Back in 1962. When it was still apart from Wellington. Also own a P1. We also share similar firearms lobbyists. Enjoy your stay.

Reactions: KiwiChris61

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just wanted to say hello, thanks for letting me into the group and that I look forward to learning more about Walthers, especially the P38 and P1. I'm fortunate enough to work in the firearms industry here in NZ and lucky in that I can keep my eyes open for interesting firearms, my most recent pistol acquisition being a P1. I also have a DWM 30 Luger, a Norinco 1911 45ACP, A Webley and Scott MkIV in 38S&W, so the P1 was a good fit. I reload ammunition, so if you have a good recipe for a FMJ load, that'll shoot and function the pistol well without overloading the it, please do share.
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome from Georgia, USA. I once spent two interesting weeks in your beautiful country - Ohakea RNZ Air Base - some years ago (1976) and loved it. Below is just one of many pictures I took.

View attachment 104382
I have an old friend who is based at Ohakea, his weekend job is flying a Spitfire! Look up PV270 sometimes, it's glorious. And yes, NZ has some magnificent scenery.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have an old friend who is based at Ohakea, his weekend job is flying a Spitfire! Look up PV270 sometimes, it's glorious. And yes, NZ has some magnificent scenery.
In 1942, my Uncle's squadron of P-38's was sent to England. He was sent on detached duty to the British where he qualified on the Spitfire and Mosquito, earning his RAF Wings. Then he flew recon missions along the coast of Europe taking pictures of anything deemed to have intelligence value. He said he wasn't allowed weapons of any kind; not even a handgun. The Brits had learned earlier that if the plane was armed, the pilot would stay and fight. They had lost planes and he was instructed to get his pictures and get home.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from upstate NY Chris. One of my best friends (and former US Marine) has lived in Australia for the past 50 years be we talk frequently. He sent me a copy of Australia's very restrictive gun laws a couple years ago. Do you have similar laws in New Zealand? Just curious.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Please share, we've all heard they had "Nazi" style confiscations there a few years back? Is this the extent of it or just more fake news?
Welcome, by the way.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Are the firearm laws in New Zealand as restrictive as they are in Australia? Single shot weapons only unless you are a policeman or a professional hunter, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the Forum from upstate NY Chris. One of my best friends (and former US Marine) has lived in Australia for the past 50 years be we talk frequently. He sent me a copy of Australia's very restrictive gun laws a couple years ago. Do you have similar laws in New Zealand? Just curious.
Hi Spinner72, sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your comment. Ok, here goes. On a standard firearms licence you can have a rimfire, semi auto or bolt action with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds. Centrefire rifles are bolt or lever action only, up to 10 rounds magazine capacity. Shotguns, no detachable magazines allowed, maximum tube magazine capacity is 5 shells of the largest length the gun is chambered in, i.e. 2& 3/4 inch, 3 inch or 3.5 inch. Pistols.... you have to be a member of a pistol club, shoot a minimum of 12 times per year, pass the in house training. Beef up home security and only shoot it at an approved pistol club. Centrefire semi autos are available to professional cullers who can prove they need them to fulfill existing contracts, this exemption though is very hard to get. It's currently taking 12-18 months to get a licence or renew an existing one. Same for a pistol endorsement. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please share, we've all heard they had "Nazi" style confiscations there a few years back? Is this the extent of it or just more fake news?
Welcome, by the way.
Yes, we had confiscations. I lost 5 semi auto centrefire rifles. There have been increased security requirements implemented and other stuff has been banned like the pump action centrefires and shotguns with detachable magazines. There will be more "improvements" to come too. All this because the Christchurch shooter was given a licence by the police who failed to apply their published and entrenched standards. Gun crime since the confiscations is way way up in comparison to 3 years ago. No mass shootings, so fair enough, but gun crime is massively up. Criminals I guess, don't obey the law. Who would have thought that?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes, we had confiscations. I lost 5 semi auto centrefire rifles. There have been increased security requirements implemented and other stuff has been banned like the pump action centrefires and shotguns with detachable magazines. There will be more "improvements" to come too. All this because the Christchurch shooter was given a licence by the police who failed to apply their published and entrenched standards. Gun crime since the confiscations is way way up in comparison to 3 years ago. No mass shootings, so fair enough, but gun crime is massively up. Criminals I guess, don't obey the law. Who would have thought that?
Thank's
They should make a law against criminals having guns then, huh?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hi Spinner72, sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your comment. Ok, here goes. On a standard firearms licence you can have a rimfire, semi auto or bolt action with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds. Centrefire rifles are bolt or lever action only, up to 10 rounds magazine capacity. Shotguns, no detachable magazines allowed, maximum tube magazine capacity is 5 shells of the largest length the gun is chambered in, i.e. 2& 3/4 inch, 3 inch or 3.5 inch. Pistols.... you have to be a member of a pistol club, shoot a minimum of 12 times per year, pass the in house training. Beef up home security and only shoot it at an approved pistol club. Centrefire semi autos are available to professional cullers who can prove they need them to fulfill existing contracts, this exemption though is very hard to get. It's currently taking 12-18 months to get a licence or renew an existing one. Same for a pistol endorsement. Hope this makes sense.
It does make sense, thank you. It sounds like the gun laws in New Zealand are very similar if not identical to those in Australia. It is interesting that gun related crimes are on the rise there in spite of your very restrictive laws. Liberal politicians here in the USA are fond of using the Australian gun law model as a shining example of what can be done to reduce gun violence here. I personally would like to see mandatory jail time (one year maybe) for anyone caught with an unlicensed handgun and a stiffer mandatory sentence (five years perhaps) for anyone using a firearm to commit a crime. I think knowing you will be locked up might deter at some of these morons from doing what they do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts