Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a P22 this week, and went to my range today. Many Utube videos and threads here are critical of the P22, especially for FTF, FTE and general jams.
I shot 100 CCI Mini mags thru it and if performed flawlessly. No fails of any sort, I was feeling frisky and proceeded to shoot about 25 Remington GB's, they too, were 100%. I'm really enjoying this gun, it's neck and neck with my Ruger SR22. Next week, I'm I'm going to try some std velocity rounds, prob CCI's , in both guns, just to see how they cycle.

Next, I may get a S&W MP compact 22.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bought a P22 this week, and went to my range today. Many Utube videos and threads here are critical of the P22, especially for FTF, FTE and general jams.
I shot 100 CCI Mini mags thru it and if performed flawlessly. No fails of any sort, I was feeling frisky and proceeded to shoot about 25 Remington GB's, they too, were 100%. I'm really enjoying this gun, it's neck and neck with my Ruger SR22. Next week, I'm I'm going to try some std velocity rounds, prob CCI's , in both guns, just to see how they cycle.

Next, I may get a S&W MP compact 22.
I'm considering one myself, but waiting to see if they introduce a M&P22 2.0 Compact at the 2019 SHOT Show.

I have a M&P45 2.0 Compact and would really like a matching .22.

It seems like it would be logical, as I think the .22 is the only Gen 1 M&P left.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Welcome Bigborgel, your success is due in a large part to your choice of ammo. Both of the those are the top of the heap for the P22. Many P22 function issues are due to ammo that is too weak to properly cycle the slide. That has been preached here for years and years.

With regard to the Smith made M&P compact....I'd suggest you guys take a very close look at the barrel. Three of mine were no good and I recently stuck an I Phone to the barrel of some new ones.....same old barrels. I was told a couple of years ago that what I received and the replacements were as good as they had. 9" 10 round groups at 21' from a mechanical rest. Not good enough in my book...the slide is aluminum and quite a bit lighter than the P22 slide so it cycled every type of bulk stuff I put in it. But accuracy, it didn't even measure up to a plinker in my book. Threads on it at RimFire - Smith section. Walther makes the full size M&P .22 for Smith...so, it has an excellent barrel. 1917

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went back to the range with a bud, who is in the market for a 22 pistol. I let him shoot both my P22 and SR22, and he rented the S&W MP 22. Accuracy seemed about the same at 7 yds with all 3. Grip wise, he favored the S&W, as he thought it was deeper than the other 2. All 3 guns cycled flawlessly on Mini-mags. He seemed to favor the Smith as it had a sand colored frame, whereas my 2 are all black. I also shot all 3 pistols, and swore that with my eyes closed, I'm not sure I could tell with one I was shooting. The grips would probably give them away though, the Ruger has the best palm swell, and the Walther has a smaller grip, but best all-around grip, whereas I felt the S&W grip was a bit too thin for my taste.

I'm thinking of renting a Bersa 22 ,or a Sig P250 next time for more comparisons. Can't think of too many other plinkers I would like to evaluate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P22

After buying a Creed and a PPS, I thought I would take a chance on a P22. I just got back from the range where I ran 400 rounds of thunderbolt, golden bullets and CCI mini mags and Patriots through it. Didn't have a single problem, it ran great and I'm really happy with it. I'm afraid I'm getting addicted to these Walthers:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
After buying a Creed and a PPS, I thought I would take a chance on a P22. I just got back from the range where I ran 400 rounds of thunderbolt, golden bullets and CCI mini mags and Patriots through it. Didn't have a single problem, it ran great and I'm really happy with it. I'm afraid I'm getting addicted to these Walthers:D
Good day at the range then.. I’ve had very few issues with my P22, had some early ones with the PPK/S 22LR, and some with the S&W PPK 380. The latter two spent some time at Walther service and since have been great.

Good to hear some good stories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts