Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Walther PPK/S

Hello, I am new to the forum and this is my first post beyond the members introduction section.

I've always wanted a Walther PPK variant so I just purchased a used Interarms PPK manufactured by S&W in 2014 I found at a LGS in like new condition. I can see no evidence that this gun was ever fired or even carried much if at all. The entire package, gun, case, manual, etc. looks brand new. I got it for under $500 out the door with all fees and taxes included.

The original owner put a Hogue grip sleeve over the handle. I normally don't like these things on my guns but it seems to work well for the PPK as it fits my hand perfectly so I am leaving it on for now.

I bought it with the full intention to carry it as a defensive pistol (imagine that!) and I'm just waiting on my new holster to arrive.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Welcome to Walther forum.

Try the PPQ, I was a hardcore "no polymer" guy, until I shot a Q45.

Only poly gun in my home now, replaced an EDC Sig 227.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you do have any issues with it, don't let it dissway you from the PPK in general. S&W models have had their share of problems and are the least comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you do have any issues with it, don't let it dissway you from the PPK in general. S&W models have had their share of problems and are the least comfortable to shoot.
It seems that most of the problems with the S&W produced pistols were of 2009 and prior vintage. Mine was produced in 2014 so I am assuming it's OK as far as safety goes.

As far as being uncomfortable to shoot, most blowback operated pistols are less comfortable to shoot then a standard Browning action. The recoil comes back at you much like a revolver, which I am also used to carrying and shooting. The upside is that the blowback design is inherently more reliable and more durable when made properly and easier to maintain and clean then a locked breech design.

Not a big problem for me but I'm not exactly sure why a S&W produced PPK in .380 would be any less comfortable to shoot then any other variants in that same caliber. I will soon find out when I take it to the range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoops! I just noticed that I mistakenly put the magazine from my North American Arms "Guardian" .380 instead of the flush fitting PPK mag on the PPK case for the photo. Silly me! :eek:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Nice.

I too have a S&W PPK/S from 2014 which has served as my EDC for a good 2 years now and it has been literally 100% reliable without a single malfunction to date. I couldn't get the thing to malfunction and I thoroughly tested it too, believe me. I once took it out to the range, still dirty from a previous range trip, put 200 rounds of bulk pack Remington UMC through it (which is some grimy stuff, lemme tell you) followed by 3 magazines (21 rounds) of Hornady American Gunner XTP which I fired sideways with shaky hands and an intentionally weak grip to simulate a scenario in which I may need to fire it wounded from a downed position.
I came home from said trip with bruised, bloodied hands, but it was worth it because that's when I was assured that I could carry it with confidence, knowing it was reliable even under extremely poor conditions/circumstances.

So yeah, I can't speak for all S&W Manufactured PPKs, but mine has performed far better than anything I had ever read here would suggest it ever could, ergo I can only assume that later production models have had the kinks worked out.

Reactions: Wood & Steel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice.

I too have a S&W PPK/S from 2014 which has served as my EDC for a good 2 years now and it has been literally 100% reliable without a single malfunction to date. I couldn't get the thing to malfunction and I thoroughly tested it too, believe me. I once took it out to the range, still dirty from a previous range trip, put 200 rounds of bulk pack Remington UMC through it (which is some grimy stuff, lemme tell you) followed by 3 magazines (21 rounds) of Hornady American Gunner XTP which I fired sideways with shaky hands and an intentionally weak grip to simulate a scenario in which I may need to fire it wounded from a downed position.
I came home from said trip with bruised, bloodied hands, but it was worth it because that's when I was assured that I could carry it with confidence, knowing it was reliable even under extremely poor conditions/circumstances.

So yeah, I can't speak for all S&W Manufactured PPKs, but mine has performed far better than anything I had ever read here would suggest it ever could, ergo I can only assume that later production models have had the kinks worked out.
It's funny that you mentioned shooting Remington UMC and Hornady American Gunner XTP's though your PPK which is also a 2014 model. This is the same ammo that I just bought for mine using a $50 gift card from Gander Outdoors except I bought the 88gr. UMC JHP's. They were on sale and only a couple dollars more then the standard FMJ stuff. At worst they will perform the same as FMJ so why not?. I wanted a variety of different ammo types to test my new .380 guns and I will be taking them to the range shortly. Hopefully mine will perform as well as yours does.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Gander Mountain was were I bought the ammo. It was a bulk pack of 500 Remington (Yellow Box) UMC 95gr FMJ. It feeds/fires just fine, but it's smoky, stinky, and grimy compared to other ammo. Haven't bought it again since, especially since CCI Blazer Brass isn't all that much more expensive yet higher in quality.

I mentioned it in particular since I've read reports from others on this very forum that the stuff doesn't cycle reliably in S&W PPKs, which I didn't know when I bought it, but fortunately ran just fine in my PPK/S, even after getting it all gritty/grimy inside.
I really can't stress enough just how dirty the stuff is, it reminds me of cheap .22LR ammo due to just how much grit and grime it leaves behind. That being said, I had probably already broken in my PPK/S (assuming such a thing was necessary) with a few boxes of Speer Lawman prior to shooting the Remington UMC, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't function 100% reliably in your PPK since yours might need breaking in first.

If it gives you any trouble, then I recommend setting the Remington UMC aside for awhile and putting at least 150-250 rounds of premium ammo through it. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend using it as a defensive load, even if it is a JHP. Stick with high quality ammo like Hornady American Gunner or other such ammo loaded with Hornady's XTP bullet, since it seems to boast the best overall balance of expansion/penetration among .380 ACP ammo, typically meeting FBI standards in Ballistics Gel Tests.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Gander Mountain was were I bought the ammo. It was a bulk pack of 500 Remington (Yellow Box) UMC 95gr FMJ. It feeds/fires just fine, but it's smoky, stinky, and grimy compared to other ammo. Haven't bought it again since, especially since CCI Blazer Brass isn't all that much more expensive yet higher in quality.

I mentioned it in particular since I've read reports from others on this very forum that the stuff doesn't cycle reliably in S&W PPKs, which I didn't know when I bought it, but fortunately ran just fine in my PPK/S, even after getting it all gritty/grimy inside.
I really can't stress enough just how dirty the stuff is, it reminds me of cheap .22LR ammo due to just how much grit and grime it leaves behind. That being said, I had probably already broken in my PPK/S (assuming such a thing was necessary) with a few boxes of Speer Lawman prior to shooting the Remington UMC, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't function 100% reliably in your PPK since yours might need breaking in first.

If it gives you any trouble, then I recommend setting the Remington UMC aside for awhile and putting at least 150-250 rounds of premium ammo through it. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend using it as a defensive load, even if it is a JHP. Stick with high quality ammo like Hornady American Gunner or other such ammo loaded with Hornady's XTP bullet, since it seems to boast the best overall balance of expansion/penetration among .380 ACP ammo, typically meeting FBI standards in Ballistics Gel Tests.
I've spent a great deal of time studying .380acp ballistics and as of now I'm considering the Remington UMC 88gr. JHP as target ammo. Every ammo test I have seen with this round suggests that it does poorly as far as JHP expansion goes but it does penetrate nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts