Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Yesterday, I traded a year old Taurus Model 85 revolver for a Walther PPK/S in 380 ACP (9mm Kurz).

I've spent the last day trying to figure out what I have here and here's what I know so far.

1. It is stamped "Made in Germany" and Ulm/Do. so I believe it was made there in Ulm/Do.

2. It is stamped "Interarms" so I believe it is an Interarms import.

3. I believe the import mark is stamped HH followed by the antler and the serial number is 220173 (the body is 220173S).

The interesting thing about this information is that the HH mark may indicate a date of manufacture of 1977 but, according to Wikipedia, Interams did not begin importing the PPK/S until 1978. That leads me to believe that maybe it's one of the earliest Interarms imports.

Any other thoughts or comments? Do you think I got the date right on this PPK/S?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Yesterday, I traded a year old Taurus Model 85 revolver for a Walther PPK/S in 380 ACP (9mm Kurz).

I've spent the last day trying to figure out what I have here and here's what I know so far.

1. It is stamped "Made in Germany" and Ulm/Do. so I believe it was made there in Ulm/Do.

2. It is stamped "Interarms" so I believe it is an Interarms import.

3. I believe the import mark is stamped HH followed by the antler and the serial number is 220173 (the body is 220173S).

The interesting thing about this information is that the HH mark may indicate a date of manufacture of 1977 but, according to Wikipedia, Interams did not begin importing the PPK/S until 1978. That leads me to believe that maybe it's one of the earliest Interarms imports.

Any other thoughts or comments? Do you think I got the date right on this PPK/S?

Sounds right to me. I have a 1978 example of the same gun. Mine is in the 223xxx serial number range and has HI date stamping.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
... That leads me to believe that maybe it's one of the earliest Interarms imports...
The PPK/S was introduced by Walther as an answer to the Gun Act in 1968 and imported by Interarms until 1978. After that they got a license to produce the PPK and the PPK/S in the USA which lasted until 1999. So your model isn't one of the earliest but one of the last Interarms imports. So this is a good thing too, isn't it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PPK/S was introduced by Walther as an answer to the Gun Act in 1968 and imported by Interarms until 1978. After that they got a license to produce the PPK and the PPK/S in the USA which lasted until 1999. So your model isn't one of the earliest but one of the last Interarms imports. So this is a good thing too, isn't it?
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Next I'll try to figure out how much it's worth. I got it as a daily carry, but I haven't convinced myself it's a good carry gun yet. It's worth quite a bit more than my revolver though, so it's a win either way.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You also got it for a fair-value of around $275-$300 (at best) in the Taurus Model 85.
I think you got a good deal. Enjoy and welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Just to avoid confusion: The OP's pistol was neither one of the earliest nor one of the last.

Interarms importation of Ulm-marked PP-series pistols from Germany did not cease in 1978; it merely diminished after 1980 when USA production actually commenced. Manurhin was still "preproducing" for Walther until about 1983-4, and modest quantities of PPK/s and PP (and PPK for law-enforcement sale) continued to be imported by Interarms from Germany well into the 1990s. In addition there were PPK/s models made totally at Ulm that trickled in during the late '80s and early '90s; there was not much demand as their price was too high to seriously compete with USA production.

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts