Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wondering if anyone has bought a new ppk from earls and what the specifics are of these guns. He says they are all german made and stamped in 2000. He also only has 380 only and wants an insane amount for them. Are they worth it? Are they ever going to be worth money in the future (if left unfired), and if so how much. Also are these guns reliable? Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Earl wants a fortune for everything he sells. The only difference between the German-made PPKs that Earl sells and the German-made PPKs that everyone else on the planet sells is that Earl's PPKs have an import stamp with his name on them. That should answer the rest of your questions.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
PP Series

No they are not worth what he is asking. Go to

www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com

and find one new or like new in the $500 - $600 range and enjoy it.

I like the Model PP best of the series. The Manurhin, German, and Interarms Walthers are all top shelf guns. My preference in caliber is the 32 ACP. You get a 9 shot capability (8+1) in the PP and PPK/S, and the recoil is light enough that you get great follow up shots. Mine have functioned flawlessly, accuracy is excellent. I've owned a couple of .380s and the recoil is somewhat "snappy" ~ not a gun you would want to spend an entire afternoon on the range with.

I have never owned one of the S&W Walthers ~ the early ones had some QC issues, but a lot of folks are happy with them.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Earl's prices are absolutely insane. Your best bet is to check the auction boards and large gun shows for Walther PPK's. To the op, the PPK that you reference that Earl is selling is 'allegedly' an experimental model that was produced in 2000. The pistol has a longer frame to meet batfe import point criteria. Jujonte, has posted pics of the experimental PPK.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/14946-longer-frame-ppk.html

·
Registered
455 Posts
In general terms,....let me get this straight. We ( as Americans) can buy second-hand PPK's that landed here in the States before the GCA of 1968 ban....right? However, we can't legally import PPK's from Germany today ( either built before 1968 or after)...right?

So....the Earl's PPK being offered to Americans, built in 2000, is legal why?.....because of the tang mod that allows it to gain extra point(s) on the point-tally that made it come up short and illegal in '68 ?.....

Oh yeah....total clones of PPK's built right here in USA are always legal for us, no matter that such guns, if built overseas, are in some cases illegal for us to purchase....right?

Stupid, goofy laws.......

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
IPSC,
I could not agree more. The law was beyond stupid. I believe that the PPK missed the import point criteria because the frame is 5mm too short.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My point...I guess...was that ( unlike, say, car emissions and safety laws).....if something is illegal for a certain model year....that illegality was for both the US built (car) and Euro built (car). Here we seem to say we can't import certain weapons because the small size suggests a criminally-active-persuasion gun....but the SAME gun....if BUILT HERE.....is OK, even with the same small size. As someone here said.... "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Don't even get me going on asinine gun laws. If you want a real treat, come visit Massachus-Istan. The laws here are completely unconstitutional and an infringement.

-Pilotsteve

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
That was back when the in-vogue knee-jerk expression was, "Saturday Night Special." So, instead of addressing the issue of cheap, easy to obtain weapons that wound up on the streets, Congress wrote a law that wound up banning the importation of fine, expensive pistols such as the PPK, which were beyond the financial means of most street criminals anyway.

That's what happens when you pass laws to address buzz words rather than the actual, underlying problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Universal.....the question still stands....agree fully with the Saturday Night Special thinking of the time...and the ill-advised knee-jerk reaction to laws that got enacted, but even within the confines of *this* stupidity....there is the ADDITIONAL aspect that the LOCATION OF MANUFACTURE was a separate issue. Meaning?---> the ill-advised laws prohibited an original-design PPK to be imported.....but fully allowed that same gun to be built here.

The auto enthusiast ranks have their own axe to grind as to stupid emissions and safety laws that restricted certain cars, but even those stupid laws applied eqully to the end-result.....the cars....and not where they were built. What's that got to do with the price of strawberries ?????

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
My guess? The U.S. gun manufacturers' lobby intervened at some point during the writing of the legislation. Preventing your competition from importing cheap firearms, then making them yourself for you own home market—that's a pretty nifty little scam, and a great way to eliminate at least some of your competition.

Personally, I'm surprised the '68 act was never challenged in the WTO by foreign weapons manufacturers on the basis that it is a "protectionist" piece of legislation that only targeted foreign products but continued to allow domestic production and distribution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I fully agree, Doug. The WTO usually accepts import restrictions or bans on public order grounds, provided that the same product is prohibited internally. There might be in WTO law specific provisions or derogations for firearms but I don't see how the US has got away with Federal legislation that clearly discriminates against foreign products.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Back to Earl for a moment: I know that we routinely talk about his prices, and with good reason, but Earl does serve an important role in the Walther community: He often has items in stock that others do not, and he is a good resource, and he's honest and reliable, and he knows his stuff when it comes to Walthers ... and every now and then, you can get a good buy from him. Case in point: I had searched online for a couple of years and finally ended up getting a PP Sport from Earl. I simply couldn't find a better one at a better price (and I looked and looked) ... plus, he fine-tuned it before it sent it along to ensure that it was in tip-top mechanical condition. I was quite happy to get it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'll echo the positive comments regards Earl.

He IS always friendly and helpful. He is very knowledgeable. Yes his prices are "pricey", but he sells quality goods and as a small businessman in a niche market - I can see why he charges more.

The customer really determines if a purchase is reasonable or not, then votes with his wallet. I plan on buying some items from Earl in the near future - so I'll be voting again soon!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Earl's has given me great serivce and advice. Yes, his prices are not cheap but he is priced to stay in business and his products/services are of good value.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I see the new PPK does have the landyard at the base of the butt where the PPK/S does not.

Also, I believe that Smith and Wesson can manufacture a PPK in .22 lr if the wanted to, but it seems they are content to make it in .32 acp instead.

I am sure that Smith and Wesson would sell more PPK pistols in .22 lr than in .32.

Espically if they were made exactly in the same configuration as the PPK/L
lightweight with no overhanging tang, which to me is not needed on a .22 LR pistol. Also, lets not forget the landyard on the bottom of the pistol butt.

All the manufactured PPK pistols in the US have seem to forgot to add that nice and sometimes useful feature.

alfoln

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also, I believe that Smith and Wesson can manufacture a PPK in .22 lr if the wanted to, but it seems they are content to make it in .32 acp instead.

I am sure that Smith and Wesson would sell more PPK pistols in .22 lr than in .32.

Espically if they were made exactly in the same configuration as the PPK/L
lightweight with no overhanging tang, which to me is not needed on a .22 LR pistol. Also, lets not forget the landyard on the bottom of the pistol butt.

All the manufactured PPK pistols in the US have seem to forgot to add that nice and sometimes useful feature.

alfoln
The original PPK in .32 is a dream to shoot, but that tang never needed to extended even for the .380 round. I have shot both of them and they are very acceptable.

If S&W wanted to make a 22lr Walter product they could bring out the little jewel of a gun, the TPH, and they would have an instant market. While this sounds like a good idea it good be a real problem if S&W decides to tinker with the design.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts