Walther Forums banner

New Walther owner

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  searcher451 
#1 ·
Just picked up a KKM GX-1 with all the accessories and except for a mark made by the bolt on the cheek piece, it looks almost new. Can't wait to get this to the range, I'm in my 50's but feel like a kid with a new toy right now.:D

#2 · (Edited)
GX-1

hksl8 -
Welcome, and what a way to step in; a GX-1 is quite a find, whatever its condition! I do not know anyone else who has a Walther GX-1; I would hope that it will shoot very well for you - and we all learn various new tweaks and tricks to improve performance from each other anyway; that's what these forums do for us. ;) Do let us know how it does for you, and which (aperture target -) sights came with it?

Everyone will want to see photos - on this site you can attach a jpg photo file directly, or use forum link code to redirect a photo from a free photo hosting site like photobucket or imageshack. Others will no doubt explain how to do this.
In the meantime the NRA museum site (www.nramuseum.com) under: The Guns, The Galleries, then Firearms Traditions for Today, and Case 70, has some great photos of a Walther GX-1. Proceed down thru the thumbnail photos in Case 70 to the Walther GX-1; click on it to select it, and you will find 6 downloadable photos of the Walther model KKM GX-1. Nice stuff.

I am in my mid-sixties in northern Virginia, with a recently acquired Walther KKM hybrid model that is starting to shoot well with Eley Team. Its my first Walther, and it gets along well with my Anschutz 1411 & 64 match. For informal benchrest matches, look at the match threads on the Rimfire Central forum site (www.rimfirecentral.com). More shooters are always welcome.

Some Walther online manuals: Try //stevespages.com/page7b.htm, then under W, select "Walther KK" (1979), and "Walther Small Bore Rifles" (1964) - both are good Adobe pdf file downloads, as well as great manuals.
-- hhguns22 --

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks HH, hope to have it on the range Monday and will take pictures. Had to put on an Anschutz rail as it did not come with the sling attachment for the Walther handstop, if you know of an extra one sitting around I would be in your debt. Hope I can shoot this rifle as well as it should be but practise will tell and the first winter match is just a few months away.

#4 ·
Thanks HH, hope to have it on the range Monday and will take pictures. Had to put on an Anschutz rail as it did not come with the sling attachment for the Walther handstop, if you know of an extra one sitting around I would be in your debt. . .
Interesting situation with the unique Walther rails - I noticed that also, and I plan to attach an Anschutz rail also, as I already have some European rail accessories that fit the Anschutz and BSA International rails. I have no Walther rail accessories. That was a good move in my opinion. Best of luck on the range. ;)

-- hhguns22 --

#8 ·
Man that's some kinda wayyyyyy cool. You must be live'n right to have found a jewel like that. Does this shade of green make me look fat lol. Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy the cool stuff the people share. I sure do.

#9 ·
GX-1 -

hksl8 -
Great photos of your GX-1; that looks like a well-figured walnut stock, and it looks fantastic! By comparison, the NRA museum's GX-1 seems to be in a much lighter birch stock; yours has a lot more character than the museum piece.
You implied that it shot well on a first range trip with a sling - that is very satisfying for a new acquisition. You may be delighted with the way that it will probably perform from a couple of benchrest bags.
Thanks for posting the photos - you have a real rare find there. Here's hoping that it will be a solid match performer for a long time. ;)
-- hhguns --

#12 ·
Searching the Exchange on Canadiangunnutz looking for an Anschuzt match or Supermatch an saw this a few hours after it was posted. I was lucky to be the first I'll take it and here it is. Stuff like this comes up once ot twice a year only and I finally got lucky and this Walther to boot.

#13 ·
I still own the GX-1 I bought over 35 years ago, and it is true that they were never nearly as popular as the Anschutz models, which typically could be found on at least 90% of the line. I pulled mine out recently and sadly the bolt handle has suffered some fairly serious corrosion over the years. Everything else looks pretty good, though. I suspect these are rare enough that the odds of finding a replacement bolt (or handle) are pretty slim, so I'll probably have to consult a gunsmith and see what the options are.

I got mine in part because Lanny Basham had started shooting one, and I even got to meet Basham and hold his 1976 gold medal that year. I've been out of the smallbore game for many, many years, but hope to get back out next year and start punching paper again. It'll be interesting to see how big a toll aging vision takes on my ability to shoot well! But I think the GX-1 is a great rifle and I hope you enjoy your range time with it.

#14 ·
Jmeg, I found the Walther sling swivels at the carlwalther.com website so if you need parts start there but it won't be inexpensive. Really enjoying this rifle and its weight, have seen my scores improve by 10-15% over my CIL 190 club gun. As for the eye sight issues, I know what you are going through. On my fullbore TR rifle I use an aperture with a built in diopter that works well for me but when I tried it on the Walther the results were not as good, shorter barrel length is all I can connect that with. I might change the front site to a 18 or 22mm and put an eagle eye on it and see how well that works.

#16 ·
Hksl8 -
How are things going with your GX-1?
Such a great-looking match rifle - I still keep coming back for a look.
Hope that it is shooting as well as it looks . . . ;)
-- hhguns22 --
HH, thanks for asking, having a great time with the rifle and have another match tomorrow. At the last match I shot a 543\600 which was a huge improvement over anything I could do with my Annie 190. Other then getting caught off guard by the light trigger a couple times I have to work on the NPA when moving from one target to the next. Plus it is amazing how making one shot into the 8 or 7 ring can start a string of them no matter what you do. But it is a great rifle, get's a lot of attention at practice and match's and I found out another shooter here has one also, but I haven't personally met him yet. Once we start shooting outdoors I might start practicing for 3P seeing as it came with the hand rest.

#18 ·
Well that sucked, first target was 183/200 and then it went down hill from there. The last target it seemed like there was fuzz in the aperture and the only time I had a clear site picture was seeing it thru the left side of the opening. Must be my old eyes so I will try my aperture with the diopture again. Still had a good time though and this is just practice for fullbore anyway. If any of you shoot fullbore at the Berger southwest nationals, see you there.

#19 ·
The good news is that you are having a great time with the GX-1, but winter shooting does seem to be sporadic. My scores in Virginia (outdoor, 50-yds, iron sights) and most others from Rimfire Central monthly matches, are much more consistent in the summer; I figured that spring and fall would be the best time of year due to reasonable temperatures, but the records don't bear that out. Winds are always a factor of course; the best scores seem to be produced with winds at < 5 mph, so say the score charts.
Your GX-1 will have so many more good days than poor ones; glad to see that you are using it regularly and enjoying such a rare rifle. ;)
-- hhguns22 --

#20 ·
i need to sell my Walther GX-1

my life has hit a series of setbacks and i need to sell my Walther GX-1 to raise money.

i am located in myrtle beach, SC.

i have a hard case and all the walther accesories. although i need to check, i don't remember if the rifle has the little wood external block at the bottom of the grip. did all gx-1s have that? i bought my gx-1 around 79 (don't remember exactly). shot it in competition for about 4 years. then life and family got in the way. only shot it a handful of times since 1984.

please pass along my contact info to anyone and everyone who you think might be interested.

thanks,

paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.