Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just picked up my first Walther in July. It is a PPS M2 LE and I absolutely love it. I will be purchasing the PPQ .45 within the next month. I had a problem with the 6 round mag and the front sight on my PPS. Is there any issues at all with the PPQ I should be aware of before purchasing?

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Yes...you are going to need a lot of ammo...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The PPQ 45s are solid. It is highly unlikely you will have any issues with it.

The stock sights suck though. You are going to want to replace them with something more durable and perhaps more suited to the role you intend the gun to fill.

Good luck and welcome to the world of PPQs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I have always had a hard time swallowing the $100+ pill for new sights. Although I do like them. Is there anything a little cheaper out there then trijicon or truglo?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Hello everyone. I just picked up my first Walther in July. It is a PPS M2 LE and I absolutely love it.
Walther recently put out a recall on PPS M2 pistols of a certain serial number range. I'd suggest you look into whether or not yours is in that range.

I had a problem with the 6 round mag and the front sight on my PPS.
I had a PPS M1 and didn't have an issue with either of these. What issues did you have?

Is there any issues at all with the PPQ I should be aware of before purchasing?
None that I know of at the moment. They are excellent quality pistols that are among the most accurate, reliable, and durable compared to other polymer pistols. They also have a reputation for being one of the easiest pistols to shoot well with, for experienced shooters as well as beginners.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I suggest you shoot with the factory sights for a while before you think about getting new sights. They are perfectly functional and will provide a good base to compare SpeedSights to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No issues with my PPQ 45 thus far. I absolutely love this pistol. I would like to upgrade the sights but not in a hurry to do so. I use nail polish, cheapskate upgrade, on the front sight to make it easier for my old eyes.
My PPQ 45 has, so far, been absolutely flawless and a pleasure to shoot. Serves as my bedside gun. More ammo is indeed an issue!

·
Registered
196 Posts
DOGGIE . . . . did you get the other one back yet ?

hows the recoil on this 45, LESS than a Kimber 1911, Colt, etc ? ? ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Truglo TFX Pro is a good choice. Point and shoot :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Walther recently put out a recall on PPS M2 pistols of a certain serial number range. I'd suggest you look into whether or not yours is in that range.

I had a PPS M1 and didn't have an issue with either of these. What issues did you have?

None that I know of at the moment. They are excellent quality pistols that are among the most accurate, reliable, and durable compared to other polymer pistols. They also have a reputation for being one of the easiest pistols to shoot well with, for experienced shooters as well as beginners.
Yes, I did check the recall. I am just outside of it. As for the front sight, the dot fell out at about 300 rounds. Walther was great and sent me a new sight free of charge. The problem I am currently having with the 6 round mag has me scratching my head. The last round will not chamber and the slide locks like the mag is empty. This never once happened on the 7 or 8 round mags. I had the shooting instructor shoot the gun the last time I was at the range to verify i was not hitting the slide lock. I had a gun smith look at it as well and he could not find anything wrong with it. Walther sent me a return tag for the mag. I will keep you guys updated with what they find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, I did check the recall. I am just outside of it. As for the front sight, the dot fell out at about 300 rounds. Walther was great and sent me a new sight free of charge. The problem I am currently having with the 6 round mag has me scratching my head. The last round will not chamber and the slide locks like the mag is empty. This never once happened on the 7 or 8 round mags. I had the shooting instructor shoot the gun the last time I was at the range to verify i was not hitting the slide lock. I had a gun smith look at it as well and he could not find anything wrong with it. Walther sent me a return tag for the mag. I will keep you guys updated with what they find.
Sounds like the mag spring is a little too limp to push the last round up in time for the slide to strip it from the mag. Or there is something inside the mag (a metal burr or something sticky) that is slowing the movement of the last round up into position in time.
I bet if you manually rack the slide, it will chamber the last round??
Easiest thing would be to return the mag for replacement. If you're a curious tinkerer like me, dissemble the mag, examine the inside, maybe wrap some steel wool around the end of a screw driver and clean/polish the inside of the mag. Just be careful the screw driver doesn't poke through the steel wool and scar the inside of the mag.

·
Registered
602 Posts
.................dissemble the mag, examine the inside, maybe wrap some steel wool around the end of a screw driver and clean/polish the inside of the mag. Just be careful the screw driver doesn't poke through the steel wool and scar the inside of the mag.
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with that advice. Clean the magazine regularly by all means, but I wouldn't recommend steel wool and a screwdriver. The steel wool will “key” the surface finish of the metal, allowing dirt to stick and build up more easily - not to mention the likelihood of gouging the surface with the screwdriver.

I would suggest using kitchen paper wrapped around the shaft of a toothbrush. To clean a staggered-row magazine in this way, you can wrap a few layers of paper around the shaft, but with the single-row PPS magazine you'll only be able to wrap one layer around the shaft - which will then poke through the paper when you're in half-way. You can then simply withdraw and repeat from the other side of the magazine. If the mag is not too dirty, you can do without the toothbrush and simply draw the kitchen paper through.

The toothbrush shaft allows you to apply a bit more “elbow grease” when rubbing with the paper. I use the same method when cleaning the mag-well.

Balor

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with that advice. Clean the magazine regularly by all means, but I wouldn't recommend steel wool and a screwdriver. The steel wool will “key” the surface finish of the metal, allowing dirt to stick and build up more easily - not to mention the likelihood of gouging the surface with the screwdriver.

I would suggest using kitchen paper wrapped around the shaft of a toothbrush. To clean a staggered-row magazine in this way, you can wrap a few layers of paper around the shaft, but with the single-row PPS magazine you'll only be able to wrap one layer around the shaft - which will then poke through the paper when you're in half-way. You can then simply withdraw and repeat from the other side of the magazine. If the mag is not too dirty, you can do without the toothbrush and simply draw the kitchen paper through.

The toothbrush shaft allows you to apply a bit more “elbow grease” when rubbing with the paper. I use the same method when cleaning the mag-well.

Balor
Maybe you're thinking about the steel wool that some folks use to clean pots & pans in the kitchen?? That's not the kind of steel wool that I'm referring to and probably should have been more specific.

0000 steel wool is very fine will polish the surface it will not "key" the surface. It will also help smooth any metal burrs or surface defects that could be causing the issue, that a paper towel will not do. While I do agree a tooth brush handle is a better instrument to use to get into the small space without the risk of scaring the metal surface, that I did warn to be careful not to do.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Nope not even ooo steel wool. If you really need to clean the mag or frame mag well try a bottle brush set.
There are plenty of good options...here is one:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Bottle-Brush-Cleaning-Shapes/dp/B0093A7QSW

Even very fine steel wool might score your mags.

About 15 years ago I was grousing about this very thing and my wife suggested trying a bottle brush to clean my mags...I put a little Ballistol on a "mop" brush, scrub a bit and use the dry brush or silicone cloth as a touch up. I've never looked back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a call from Walther on friday. They said the mag is fine and they are stuck on the fact that it is user error. They told me to switch the base plate out with the 8 round mag and it will go away. I do not agree with this and expressed my frustration especially since I had others verify it is not user error. I have taken apart the mag to clean and inspect. It is free from burrs. I do agree that maybe the spring is on the weak side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, switch out the base plate and give it a test run. Might also consider trying different ammo...something with a little higher muzzle energy.
I will try that. The reason they are telling me to do that is because they think I am hitting the slide lock due to the mag not having any finger support like the other two. I told them I had an instructor shoot it as well but they were not buyin it. I work in a warranty department so I get it but it is frustrating.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will try that. The reason they are telling me to do that is because they think I am hitting the slide lock due to the mag not having any finger support like the other two. I told them I had an instructor shoot it as well but they were not buyin it. I work in a warranty department so I get it but it is frustrating.
Hmmm... I surprised. I assumed they would swap it for a new one no questions. If it still does it after swapping bases, hit them up again.

Maybe they would agree to just sending you a new spring?

Sometimes you just have to be persistent. You know how those warranty department guys are... ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts