Walther Forums banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting...but good point. I hadn't even noticed the pushing of PPQs on the Internet market. Thanks.
It's a long-needed cosmetic and functional update to the PPQ. Better optics platform and improved trigger.
From the small amount that I've read so far the ergonomics are also an upgrade on the PDP. It won't work for me personally because of the trigger but I also can see some very clear upgrades over the PPQ at a similar price, which is cool IMO. If I could have a gun with the frame and slide of the new PDP with the trigger system of the old P99as it would be almost perfect for a stock pistol at that price range. I like a lot about the PDP.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Finally ordered a PPQ yesterday from CDNN. Should have it Monday. The PPQ can take PPS Sights? I want to get night sights, I don't like the Q's adjustable sights.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
What's to innovate these days really? Guns are a mature technology. Now it's mostly refinement and mixing and matching existing designs for specific demands along with aesthetics of the day. Besides P365 managing to squeeze 10 rounds into a "single" stack, that was the last innovation I've seen lately. I suppose the next thing might be a materials science or 3d printing breakthrough.
I agree pistols are mature technology but innovation can appear unexpectedly.

I think this is an innovative design:

There are some different and very good ideas in this design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems like there are some conflicting opinions on the new PDP. Im not in love with the esthetics but I'm a function over form type so in the end its a non issue for me. I won't be selling my PPQ but will probably buy a PDP C as the slide profile looks much better suited to optics use. I don't care for most factory optics ready slides though so I hope that Walther offers this without that option at some point but I don't know how likely that is. I would prefer a solid slide and have it milled for the RMR platform so it can be lower and stronger.

I hope the grip texture feels as aggressive as they tout it to be. My only real gripe about the PPQ is it's grip texture. I find it a little too slick for my tastes especially in warmer weather where some sweat makes it feel a little squirmy. I love the feel of the new M&P grips. I like a pistol to feel like it's stuck to my hand.

I'm curios to feel the trigger press. Some later PPQ's I've tried felt a little rough which is disappointing as the trigger on my example is what made me buy it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was going to buy a PPQ 9mm in the 5 inch model. Now this is coming out and mags once again at least to me will be the issue. I do have some of the 17rd PPQ mags. Walther is getting to many models out there to make a good decision on what to get. Mag prices are crazy also.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Was going to buy a PPQ 9mm in the 5 inch model. Now this is coming out and mags once again at least to me will be the issue. I do have some of the 17rd PPQ mags. Walther is getting to many models out there to make a good decision on what to get. Mag prices are crazy also.
The PPQ mags are compatible with the shorter PDP grip frame.

If you are thinking you might want to run an optic the PDP is the way to go.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I agree pistols are mature technology but innovation can appear unexpectedly.

I think this is an innovative design:

There are some different and very good ideas in this design.
Reminds me in some ways of the Hudson...but that one had it's own set of issues. A big reason why I have a hard time warming up to some of these new manufacturers. Not to say that it's bad, like you, I do think that's a pretty interesting design.

Phoenix Redback

Now those guys have a track record (Sphinx) of building some high quality guns, I kinda like what they are doing, but the price...yeah...don't think I like them enough to invest, because I'm not sure it'll do anything better than what I have now..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Remember, this pistol replaces the PPQ. The PDP will be the new Walther "flagship" model in the United States. Take a look at CDNN, they have been pushing PPQs for some time now, this is always an indicator of a manufacturer dumping obsolete inventory.
Slightly off topic but this reminded me, did any of you guys grab a Q5 match upper from CDNN a few months back. They were like $500 or $600 and they had like 60 uppers in stock. I debated on buying one but had absolutely no need for one. If I remember correctly they were all gone within a weeks time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love me some Walthers... :giggle:

So here are a few comparison photos.

Top to bottom: P99QA, PPQ M1, PDP:

Slides interchange among all frames, at least in terms of function checking (L-R: P99, PPQ, PDP):

Frames are all variations of each other and feel very similar in size. The PDP texture is the best by far (L-R: P99, PPQ, PDP)

I actually prefer the paddle mag release on the PPQ, but the big button on the PDP is better than the TINY paddle on the P99.

As for triggers, the PPQ and PDP are really similar, while the P99QA is mushy and has a long reset.

ETA: I think I may shoot this configuration for a bit...

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about the mags? Interchangeable with most of these?
The 3 Walthers I have don't really interchange mags. You can mod P99 mags to fit PPQ M1s, and PPQ M1 mags work in P99s, but neither mag will work in the PDP because it has the button mag release vs the paddle mag release my other 2 Walthers have. Yes you can mod PPQ M1 mags to work in the M2 and the PDP compact, but that seems like a lot of work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The million dollar question is now.... will Shoot Straight have the PPQ on blowout for $325 the way they did the P99s? I'm afraid those days are long gone
I walked into the Tampa store today and they had them out on the clearance table but only at about $500 IIRC.

101 - 120 of 167 Posts