Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't seen anything on the internet on this yet but Walther has a new pistol out - the Walther PDP FS 9mm.

Seems like a polymer version of the Q4 steel frame and a boxier, optics ready slide. Available with a 4" or 4.5" barrel. Rear sight houses an adjustable notch kind of like Taurus G2C sights.

Trigger pull is similar to the PPQ and the internals looks very similar except the ejector is beefier.

Capacity is 18rds so standard PPQ mags won't work, but Canik 18rders might work.

Might need to buy one, $599.99 at my LGS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a true poly full size/X model (18rds) unlike the 15rd PPQs or Q5 Poly guns. Also optics ready without a threaded barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
18rds ? Big deal. The P99 and PPQ M1 have a 20rd magazine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's like saying since compacts can use extended mags, why would full size or X models exist?

You asked what niche this fills that isn't filled by the PPQ. As far as I know Walther doesn't have a full size frame gun. Even the Q5SF has a grip length suited for 15rd magazine (i.e. compact).

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
As far as I know Walther doesn't have a full size frame gun.
If we're now going to use magazine size to determine this does that mean the Browning Hi-Power is a compact because it "only" has a 13 round magazine ? I consider the P99 and PPQ to be full size pistols. They have ample room to fit even a large hand.

But let's assume that I agree with you that the PDP is their only full size pistol. They're calling it the PDP FS. To me this name implies that there will be a PDP Compact to follow. Wouldn't that be a PPQ ? And why make an 18rd magazine that isn't compatible with the PPQ M2 ?

I am underwhelmed by the PDP FS and have zero interest in it. I suspected that the new Walther would be a disappointment and I was right.

Now where's my Q5 SF in .45 ACP ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 18rd magazine is compatible with the PPQ. The 15rd magazines won't be compatible obviously due to the grip being too long on the FS.

As to the PDP C, it looks like the one old fart posted is the compact, with a 15rd magazine and 4" barrel. I suppose the main difference between that and the PPQ would be the grip frame (presumably no finger grooves and the hex pattern stippling) and possibly optics ready.

Yeah no idea why they call it the PDP. Seems like a poor marketing choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe it's a modular pistol. If so, it's interesting that Walther took this approach early on, as in building a whole new platform, rather than attempting to make the PPQ modular somehow. I dig it, either way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not particularly enthused by this pistol. If it does indeed have a removable FCU (fire control unit) like some of the newer Beretta's or SIGs that might be a saving grace.

18 round capacity? Meh. This might be Walther's fault for making the P99/PPQ so good, but I just don't see the point of this pistol.

I noticed they labeled the trigger "PDT" (Personal Defense Trigger?). Makes me wonder if they already have sportier options in the works... or perhaps the holy grail, a DA/SA Anti-Stress trigger configuration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I'm sorry to say I'm also disappointed. Being a current PPQ owner, I don't see me going out of my way to purchase one. It's a fine looking pistol, don't get me wrong, but nothing I cannot live without. My guess is they are going after police department contracts first, but making it appealing to civilian market at the same time.

I was hoping for an updated PK380 or something like that personally...or a steel framed .45 auto. oh well.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Remember, this pistol replaces the PPQ. The PDP will be the new Walther "flagship" model in the United States. Take a look at CDNN, they have been pushing PPQs for some time now, this is always an indicator of a manufacturer dumping obsolete inventory.

Personally I have no interest in it because no paddle mag release and no P99 type action. Still hoping Walther brings out a P365 competitor.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would not say that the slide design is nearly as overblown as the APX with its full-slide serrations. To my eye, the serrations look quite a bit like the XDm Elite serrations, and as an Elite owner, I don't see them as unappealing at all.

Reactions: Jaake

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some more info:

Canik 18rd mags will work. Aside from the baseplate and Walther's finish they seem identical. The compact uses mags identical to the PPQ M2.

It doesn't seem to be an FCU gun as the serial is stamped onto a metal plate inserted into the back of the frame, as on PPQs. It seems to be part of the frame but can't tell for sure unless you take out the FCU. But it isn't obviously separate like in 320s.

The upper halves are lighter than PPQ and Q5 Match slides. Weights are as follows (with empty mag inserted):

4.5" FS: 25.16 oz, 15.81 oz slide, 9.38 oz frame
4.0" FS: 24.41 oz, 15.03 oz slide, 9.38 oz frame
4.0" C: 24.18 oz, 15.03 oz slide, 9.14 oz frame

My PPQ frame with empty mag is 9.34 oz so very similar in weight to the FS. The slide is 15.48 oz on my 4" PPQ and 17.78 oz on my Q5, so there is some weight savings in the newer slides.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts