Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a set of Meps for one of my P99's. I did have to fit them, albeit ever so slightly. I simply ran them over some sandpaper to take off some of the paint and they slid right in. And I must say that boy are they bright. I got the 3 green dots. They look really good. Now I have one pistol left with just factory sights. I have a Big Dot 24/7 on my compact and the Meps on a full size. I am looking to get something different for my other P99. Maybe some Trijicons or another set of Meps except in red. Any suggestions?

My other toy is a red resin training pistol. I have airsofts but I like this traininig pistol since I can take it to my office and practice my draw and point without any problems. They know that I shoot USPSA and when the see th red trainer they don't freak out. I use to use an air soft but I would have to paint it a differnet color since it was all black. I like having the trainer as an option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
very nice  

you shoot tonight?  i was having had my taxes done  

on the bright side, hopefully i'll be able to earmark some funds for a dedicated match/competition pistol (a full-size CZ75B or 85B in 9mm).  this will also double as the wifey's range gun (she like big, heavy guns, she's a relative beginner and a bit recoil shy) and wintertime/camping/open carry situations for myself.  i currently CCW a CZ75B P-01, which is basically a refined, compact and lighter-weight version of a CZ75BD, so my comp pistol will be roughly identical to my primary carry pistol other than size and weight (and a decocker).

frye

·
Registered
333 Posts
You might want to look at the HI-VIZ Green light tube for a front sight. I was very happy with mine, until I switched to the 24/7 Big Dot system for close combat work.

Under Ultra-violet light...this sight excells....very bright geen dot. So outdoors, even under cloudy weather conditions, this sight is bright. And unlike the Big Dot system, you are able to get some decent accuracy.

JF.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frye,
I didn't shoot last night I was in a seminar all day and didn't feel up to it....next Tuesday.  

Okay HI-VIZ Green, I have heard that they can be fragile, is this true? Also, I have a set of Big Dots that I got through Walther, mark AO. The rear sight has a thin green line. This is okay but I seen pics of some with a white outline. I think I would like those better. Do I have an old model of XSsights?
Yes, I have looked at some of the Walther factory red fiber optics…but again not that I am going to use my gun for a club or anything but just wondering about durability.

I was thinking about another set of Meps for my bedroom P99. This one doesn't get out much and is mainly there for home defense. I am leaning toward the night sights because of this reason.  Maybe red or red front, green rear combo...any advantages or disadvantages to the different colors?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I didn't find the green HI-Viz that fragile.......it is housed in a steel cradle, so holster wear doesn't effect it. Also the green tube is incased in a plastic structure for added protection. I think I bought my set from Meprolite ??

Yes, your Big Dot system is the regular version.......if you want the white Outline Rear sight...you want the 24/ 7 model.

Xsights will sell you just the rear sight to upgrade your unit. It diffinitely has some advantages to have the white outline on the rear blade. Call them and let them know you are a loyal customer & they will give you a break to upgrade the rear to the 24/7.

JF.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sniper, thanks for the info...the new rear sight for my Big Dot has been ordered...

I took my P99 to the range today. One of my New Year's resolutions was to try to take a new shooter to the range once a month if possible. Well I took out my newbie friend and broke him in on a P22 then the P99. He had a blast. I had just put my new meps on the pistol and man o' man. I don't know if I was just having a really good day or whether the meps really make it easier to see even in a lighted indoor range. But as I was shooting I kept having to see whether or not I was hitting my target because all I could see was basically one hole. Turns out I simply shot the center out of my target. Do different sights make that much difference or was I just lucky today? Either way it felt really good. And my friend was a little impressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts