Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wish I had a great story about this one, like it was "$190 new in the box" but I don't. I simply picked up a used PP in .32 last week. Always wanted one to complement my PPK. Anyway, it appears to be an old Bavarian police one with the "ByP" (crossed out) mark on the trigger guard? And to have been parkerized or otherwise dull-refinished at some point? Anyone else on here that is more PP-knowledgeable than me have any information or points of interest on it? It is a 65' Ulm model. Cheers!

Premium Member
Looks like you got yourself a great shooter ! Any import Mark's?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Marks.....^^^^

Looks like you got yourself a great shooter ! Any import Mark's?

None that I can find. It does have the "Eagle over an N" on the slide, but I think that is a proof from Germany? Barrel rifling appears to be almost mint, so yes, going to be a shooter. I am probably going to touch up the blueing a little, but nothing dramatic.

J

Premium Member
The original finish was gloss blue. Somebody glass-beaded, then blued or parkerized it to avoid polishing it. Not a bad option on some guns with delicate markings.

M

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Is it odd that it has the German police marking on it (ByP), but no import marks? Wouldn't a police trade-in gun have to have them to be brought here?

J

Registered
Is it odd that it has the German police marking on it (ByP), but no import marks? Wouldn't a police trade-in gun have to have them to be brought here?

J
It is uncommon. The Bavarian PPs weren't sold out of service until the 1980s, and usually have CAI marks on the frame above the trigger or HK marks on the front strap. A few smaller importers brought some in too.

But import marks have always only been required on commercial imports (since they've been required). So if the gun came in as private property, by a service member who acquired it in Germany maybe at a rod-and-gun club, or by an immigrant, no stamp was necessary.

But the marking could also have been disappeared during the refinish, which did not happen during its time in service. If this current finish was seen as preferable to the original, the gun must have been in pretty lousy shape, which Bavarian PPs usually are not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
But the marking could also have been disappeared during the refinish, which did not happen during its time in service. If this current finish was seen as preferable to the original, the gun must have been in pretty lousy shape, which Bavarian PPs usually are not.

Yes, I find the refinish odd. In the places it has worn off, the metal appears to be fine, and there are no scratches, pitting, etc. And the internals are in great shape, including super-sharp rifling in the barrel. I am contemplating refinishing it to more of a blue.

J

Super Moderator
Really good bluing is a professional job, but isn't going to hurt the value, considering the current bead-blast.
Since it's a shooter anyhow, why not consider a good hardchrome job, which is wonderfully durable and looks great?
Likely cheaper than bluing too.

Moon

Registered
new toy

I would add that I have a Manurhin PP in 7.65 (.32acp) with a Bavarian police mark xed out. It has no noticeable import marks until you remove the grips. It is on the frame under the left grip. I took the grips off to give it a good cleaning, and that was when I discovered the import stamp. Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Really good bluing is a professional job, but isn't going to hurt the value, considering the current bead-blast.
Since it's a shooter anyhow, why not consider a good hardchrome job, which is wonderfully durable and looks great?
Likely cheaper than bluing too.

Good thought. I should have said I was thinking about "refinishing it". LOL. Hard chrome seems like something to consider. I am contemplating refinishing it blue or some other attractive finish, put some faux ivory grips on it, and using it as a BBQ or church gun.

J

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Shot it yesterday, and a little disappointed. Every magazine had at least one FTF, but I am going to chalk that up to the old, original magazine that it came with. Going to get a fresh magazine, give it a good scrubbing and cleaning, and try again.

J

Super Moderator
Clean that original magazine; make sure it's assembled correctly, and do a search here for info on the .32 rounds...mine have always run flawlessly.
Moon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts