Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a new handgun and like how the p99s feel in my hand. (haven't fired one)
I have only shot 9mm handguns and need some help on what to buy. Should i get the 40 or 9?
I'm not trying to start a debate on what round is better. It seems like both are good.
Will there be much more recoil with the 40? I know recoil is felt differently for each person but try to give me some idea.
What is a fair price for a p99? There is a gunshop in my area that has one for $599. Is that a fair price or should I shop around. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have the 9mm P99 AS. i bought it because it's cheaper to shoot than the 40. but i plan on getting one in about a month. i have shot a friends P99 40s&w and liked it very much. the recoil is very controlable. sweet gun. i got my 9mm  2004 model NIB for $499.00 at a gun show in orlando. he had a few P99 40's there for the same price. if there's a gun show near you  soon, try there first. cdnninvestments.com has the Walther P99 AS on sale for $449.00 in 40s&w. they are the green frames. they just sent me a magazine in the mail. thats how i'm getting my information. they don't list them on their site so you'll have to call them, then get someone to do an FFL transfer for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ratliffe, I figure I should be able to find a better deal than the 599 I checked out the gunshow last weekend and they wanted the same for one. I'll look around at different shops and check out cdnn'
So are you saying that the recoil isn't much more than the 9?
thanks again

·
Registered
471 Posts
With the more modern bullets, the 9mm is a very good defensive weapon… I too, would recommend the 9mm, because of ammo cost, and the availability of hi-cap mags now (thank God!)…

The recoil with the P99 in 9mm, is surprisingly sharp. More than some heavier counterparts… However, I find it very manageable in part, I think from its ergonomic grip design, and the fact the slide is set low on the frame…
Unless you are prone to flinch, the P99 is very accurate, has great natural pointing characteristics (at least for me) and sight acquisition is exceptionally fast.

I would recommend the AS model for a trigger configuration, but you better not let any grass grow under your feet, as S&W is not going to be importing them much if any longer… They will bring a premium when that happens…

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shadow @ Mar. 02 2005,4:21)]$599. Is that a fair price?
no, an unfair rip-off. some @ssholes want about 800 for a 450 gun. recently someone posted about ak47man.com or similar site that had good prices. cdnn as mentioned. try a search on this site. also doc walther. somebody else chime in and help this guy find the best price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
599 is 99 more than I paid for my new in box P99 QA. You can do better.

I'd go with the 9mm, as they have considerably less troubleshooting issues. Practically none, if any. Of course, the 9mm version is bound to be a little better since the pistol was originally designed as a 9mm, and later scaled up to a 40. 9mm is cheap, and the P99 can handle +P ammo without trouble.

Plus, the 9mms are all made in Germany. Walther seems to have a bit better quality control than Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to shop around. The gun shop and the show wanted 599 I didn't ask for a lower price.

nocturnal, The m38 does have some kick to it! More than my 12 ga. I haven't tried it with a pad, but I can only handle 20 rounds or less. Or should I say.... less than 20 rounds.
Thanks for your help guys. If any of you know where I can get one at a good price let me know. I think I can get a ffl. to do the transfer for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you can get an FFL to do the transfer for $20.00, i'd go for it. at the show i bought mine, it was listed for $599.00. i asked the man if he could do any better than that, and he knocked $100.00 off. all you have to do is ask. all they can say is no, but most will deal. 9mm does have the advantage with all the mil. surplus around. but the 40s&w is a large caliber kickass round. i like it. had a G23 and it was a fine weapon. i still have all of my dillon reloading supplies for the 40s&w and will be getting another soon. which ever caliber you choose will be good enough.

·
Registered
539 Posts
With the coast guard and other fed agencies choosing 40 SW pistols (Sigs and HK I think) maybe in another 10 years we'll have 40 SW surplus as well

I'll just repeat what the manual says though. Only factory fresh ammunition in your P99. After seeing how the brass gets deformed after shooting I don't doubt the validity of that advise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Consider purchasing a used P99. Look at the for sale forum here first.

I rarely buy a new firearm when quality used are available. many people buy pistols and then don't like them as much as they thought they would or "fall in love" with another make/model. It is easy to cruise the boards here, on Glocktalk and The HighRoad and find one for hundreds off the retail price and offetn with extra mags, holsters and other accessories to boot.

Both of my P99 pistols are used and this is one tough piece--not many will ever wearr one out.

If you need any help with the process, let us know and we will be happy to help. Just look for someone with a lot of posts or with a proven track record. Foer example, I believe that TheQuietMan has one or two for sale on this forum. I purchased a Bar-Sto barrel from him and will vouch for him.

E-mail me if you want other help or info.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (alex @ Mar. 02 2005,8:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shadow @ Mar. 02 2005,4:21)]$599. Is that a fair price?
no, an unfair rip-off.   some @ssholes want about 800 for a 450 gun.  recently someone posted about ak47man.com or similar site that had good prices.  cdnn as mentioned.  try a search on this site. also doc walther.  somebody else chime in and help this guy find the best price.
I was probably the one that mentioned AK-47 Man and some other places with better prices. The problem is -- they can't get them! I called AK-47 and their supplier is out. Same with OnPoint. And those guns only came with the 10-rd mags. The 99AS is getting hard to find (already)... I ended up paying more than I wanted to but it was worth it to grab one that was in stock with 2 16-rd mags.

Shadow lives in my area and the going price for the 99AS is right at $600...I've checked every place in the area. SUpply and demand, I guess.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just bought a NIB P22 for my wife from AK-47man.com. My positive experience with my P99 led to this choice. Hopefully, the P22 will make a great practice gun for the both of us. Always helps to work on fundamentals and technique.

Great customer service from Gina, the nice phone answering lady, and I'm assuming 1/2 owner of the business. Gina has been very nice and accomodating in helping me purchase the P22. A great experience all around.

I would highly recommend AK-47man.com if anyone is looking to make a purchase. Too bad they can't get the endangered P99 AS.

Now, if I could only get my local dealer to send in another copy of his FFL. He sent one, and apparently it got lost in the mail! That just means more waiting till I get the P22.

-stunks

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ Mar. 03 2005,9:23)]Great customer service from Gina, the nice phone answering lady, and I'm assuming 1/2 owner of the business.  Gina has been very nice and accomodating in helping me purchase the P22.  A great experience all around.

I would highly recommend AK-47man.com if anyone is looking to make a purchase.  Too bad they can't get the endangered P99 AS.  
I agree - Gina went out of her way to try to find my the P99. I really wish I could have bought from them -- service was top notch.

I'll definitely check them for future purchases!  

1 - 17 of 17 Posts