Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first handgun, after lots of research on the Walther Series I went that direction.

I fired a rental PPQ 9mm and loved it, but none are around my area for purchase (with the exception of the match series with dot sight and that is well out of my price range). The Gun Shop had a like new P99QA on consignment with full box, including a fired casing, paper target, 3 backstraps (total), and additional front sights.

Everything about the case and interior and condition of the weapon seems to show it saw almost no use, there was a little carbon around the lower rail but it cleaned off with just a little swipe of my fingernail.

I went ahead and got it. I have field stripped and cleaned it, which it really didn't need much attention.

I compared it to the PPQ I fired, and noticed the De-Cocker button, which I like the option as I am new to this and determined that it would not hurt to have one more level to go thru before it can be fired (if one chooses).

I am a little confused on this though due to the manual. The manual states that this is a De-Cocker but only on the AS model, it states on the QA it is an additional field strip component. I have depressed the button and the visible firing pin at the back of the slide does reset, and the trigger can be pulled with no effect.

I have not had a chance to get back to the range to run live rounds thru it, will hopefully be able to get out next weekend.
Anyone have any experience with this? I would love any input about this, plus any other tips/suggestions about this weapon. Plus any info about how old this gun actually is? the casing envelope is dated 19.11.09, which I am guessing is for November 19, 2009....

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
The button on the P99 AS and P99 QA do the exact same thing. If the striker is cocked, depressing the button will release the striker. The P99 AS has a DA trigger mode, meaning you can pull the trigger and it'll compress/cock the striker prior to releasing the striker and firing the pistol. The QA only has 'one' trigger mode.....there is no DA pull/mode on the QA. If the QA is de-cocked, you can't just pull the trigger and fire the gun, you'll have to rack the slide to cock the striker.

So, on the AS the button is a de-cocker which, when depressed will release the striker and put the trigger in DA mode.. On the QA the button simply de-cocks or releases the striker prior to field stripping the pistol, cuz you can't remove the slide if the striker is cocked. That's true with most striker fired pistols.

On the PPQ, if the striker is cocked and you want to remove the slide, you'll have to ensure there is no ammo in the chamber or magazine, then pull the trigger to release the striker prior to removing the slide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The button on the P99 AS and P99 QA do the exact same thing. If the striker is cocked, depressing the button will release the striker. The P99 AS has a DA trigger mode, meaning you can pull the trigger and it'll compress/cock the striker prior to releasing the striker and firing the pistol. The QA only has 'one' trigger mode.....there is no DA pull/mode on the QA. If the QA is de-cocked, you can't just pull the trigger and fire the gun, you'll have to rack the slide to cock the striker.

So, on the AS the button is a de-cocker which, when depressed will release the striker and put the trigger in DA mode.. On the QA the button simply de-cocks or releases the striker prior to field stripping the pistol, cuz you can't remove the slide if the striker is cocked. That's true with most striker fired pistols.

On the PPQ, if the striker is cocked and you want to remove the slide, you'll have to ensure there is no ammo in the chamber or magazine, then pull the trigger to release the striker.
Thank you for the Info!

Right now the weapon is uncocked with a full magazine inserted, no round in the chamber. This would mean to fire I need to just rack the slide back and then I can fire a round.

If I were to rack the slide and a round is chambered, but then pressed the De-cocker, what am I looking at ? I see 2 options, either a: I rack the slide (round stays in chamber) and can fire a round, or b: I rack the slide (which ejects the chambered round) and then can fire a round (but I have lost one of the 15 in the magazine).

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
If you've got a full mag and an empty chamber, then racking the slide will load a round into the chamber and cock the striker.

If you have a round in the chamber and do a 'full rack'....meaning pull the slide all the way back and then release it. You'll eject the round in the chamber, load another round into the chamber and cock the striker.

That button is only to be used to de-cock the striker prior to removing the slide.

One caveat....the striker can be cocked by moving the slide rearward about 3/8" and back forward. If you can do that, then should you ever wind up with a around in the chamber and the striker is 'for some reason' de-cocked, you'd be able to gently move the slide rearward 3/8" and back forward, which will not eject the round in the chamber but it will cock the striker. This is not really recommended, but it is possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts