Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forums, and pretty much guns in general. I just started shooting about a month and a half ago at my local range in Michigan. I've rented several different guns so far: Glock 17&19, S&W MP in 9mm and .40, Para ordnance in a .45 and a couple of .22's. So far I liked the para ordnance in the .45 and the Glock 19. I hated the S&W MP. Another problem I had was that the Glock just seems to wide for my hand. I probably have a total of about 600 rounds through various guns.

With all that said, I'm looking towards getting my CCW and trying to decide on purchasing a gun. Problem is that I can't decide on what kind of gun I want. I need a gun that I can carry, as well as a gun that'll be in my dresser next to my bed when I move to a....not so great part of town in the near future (which is basically the main reason for me getting a gun.) I also plan on going to the range at least once a month to once every week even just to shoot and become adept at using it. I'm not exactly sure how often I will be actually carrying it as my CCW or even if I'll get my CCW within the next year. I just don't want to purchase several guns, I would like to only have one (heheh....I know....I'm going to be in trouble...but so far that's all my budget is allowing me.)

So here starts the questions. Is a Walther p99c a good gun for the uses I have listed? I wanted to rent one but my local gun stores don't have any to rent. The Walther p99c is one of my top choices along with a H&K USPc; I've held the p99 and it felt very nice in my hand, just a tad nicer than the USPc. Any feelings on these two weapons (I know it's a Walther forum but I just wondered if anyone had anything good or bad to say about the H&K USPc...even anything bad to say about the Walther p99c.)

The one major thing I liked about the USPc was that it had a manual safety that also functioned as a decocker on the outside, so I could carry the gun in DA/SA mode (which I think the first pull of the trigger would be heavier than the rest...correct me if I'm wrong) or I could also carry it with the chamber loaded, with the hammer back and it on the manual safety. I'm just worried about hitting something on the trigger or snagging it and having the gun go off, that's really why I like the idea of a manual safety. The idea of carrying a glock with just the trigger safety scares me.

Another question, what are the differences between the quick action trigger and the anti-stress trigger? I have no clue what either one specifically is but I'd like to find out because the p99 just felt wonderful in my hand and I'm leaning towards getting a p99c for my concealed carry as well as my bedside gun.

The last question is whether or not you would recommend any other firearms (besides glocks) for me.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, and I thank you beforehand for any advice you can give. Thanks for reading this long winded post and even if you don't respond, I appreciate the time you have taken to read this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...USPc is a great pistol. No knocking it. But from the ones I've talked to, most like the ergonomics of the P99 alot more...The full size P99 is as small as the USPc so that may tell you something. I have both the full size and the compact P99 in 9mm and wouldn't trade them for anything and the compact is one really great pistol. I think many here like it as well if not more than they do the full size. It would be great as a CCW or bedsize gun. You can also get a mag extension and shoot full cap mag no problem. I can't tell you anymore about the QA than what you can find in the catalog or website since I only own the AS. AS is a DA/SA striker fired weapon. Different set up that a 1911 in that it has no hammer and hosts a in-slide mounted decocker. The AS is what has always made the P99 unique. You best bet is to find someone who has a Walther and see if you can shoot it or find someone with a SW99, next best thing. I am sure others will chime in here really soon.;)

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum...lots of great info here and folks too...Jake being one of the more informed. The other will chime in. Safe shooting!

photo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that the p99 full size was the size of the USPc. That almost makes me want to get a full size p99. Another question, I saw that the ppk can fire a .380 round, does that mean you can use a .38 special in the gun or no? Still trying to figure that out. Thanks for the information so far and anymore is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Funny thing Zacten,

I started much as you about a year and a half ago. At first I wanted relic pistols so I bought Lugers and a Broomhandle Mauser as well as a couple of poat-war Walthers (P38 and PP). ;)
Along the way I picked up a recent production M1911-A1 for home or office protection. However about 1 in 100 cases would fail to competely eject and would get caught in the closing breech at an odd angle.:mad:
let me point out that I never fired any of the models before buying one; there was never an opportunity. At the only range in amy area offering rental guns the Glocks, Berettas, and Rugers are the main autos available. I had mixed experiences with thes weapons and wanted to try a P99 which they wold not offer for rental or trial. Long story forshortened, I found a P99-AS 9mm out-of-state and bought it based on what I have been reading on this forum. So far in one month I have fired over 400 rounds FMJ and a bunch of JHP with no glitches whatsoever. If that changes I will let everyone know. As of now it is the most reliable firearm I own.:D

Russell

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I saw that the ppk can fire a .380 round, does that mean you can use a .38 special in the gun or no? Still trying to figure that out.
No. While the diameter of the bullet may be the same the cartridge itself is not. The .380 was specifically designed to be a pistol cartridge. Some call it a 9mm short, while the .38 special is designed for a revolver.

Take a look at this...

http://glocktalk.com/sitemap/topic/518226-1.html

PS. If you like the size of the USPc then I suggest you look for a full size P99. It should fit your hand like a glove. If you can't get your hands on a real one here is a suggestion. If you live here in the states, find a Wal-mart or other sporting goods store. Many sell spring powered Airsoft pellet pistols. There are many popular models available. For around $20.00 or so you can pick up a P99 or USP replica...see how it fits your hand. It will give you some idea of the pistol.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
USPc's are great and P99's are great. (full size or compact) I would also reccomend looking at the Sig Sauer line of pistols. The P-229 might be closest to what your looking for. Those three manufacturers are Europes finest. Also you said that you like the Para Ordinance. I am also a fan of theirs. Between those companies you no doubt will find a few that suit your needs perfectly. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
FYI

The .38 special cartridge is not really .38 caliber. The actual diameter
of the .38 special bullet is .357 inches, the same as the .357 magnum
cartridge.

The .380 acp cartridge is not really .38 caliber either. It is really a 9mm
bullet, with the diameter of .355 inches.

Other names for the .380 are: 9mm Kurtz (short) and 9X17mm.

Good luck in your choice of firearms.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 9mm P99 and love it. I don't have a CCW yet, but I find it comfortable to carry around the house so far. I will strongly consider getting a P99c in the future. I also have a Glock 30 which will primarily be a bedside gun. The Walther will be the primary carry.

If you are in the SW Michigan area send me a pm and we might be able to meet somewhere and I could let you shoot mine.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If you go the Walther route take the P99. I don't think that the P99c makes for a good night stand gun
also since we are talking HK.... why not look at the P2000 which is about the same size as the USPc and the P99
there are many options but in the end you need to feel right about how this gun feels in your hand.
You were talking about the decocker on the USPc.... great idea. The P99/AS has a decocker too to carry DA/SA .....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks for all the advice everyone! Is the P99 still an easily concealable gun with a good holster? I'm not that big of a guy, 5'9'' 150 pounds only so I don't have much room to hide a gun.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the Walther forum..

Here's my take after 1/2 century of firearms ownership on the need for an external safety on a firearm that has a heavy double action trigger/striker pull for the first shot..

Useless.

Just something to confuse you in a time of crisis.. Buy a quality traditional DA/SA (double action first shot/lighter single action all rounds thereafter).. For the Walther P99/AS I believe Walther advertises DA @ 8.8lbs trigger pull, SA @ 4.4lbs. Additonally, and this will confuse you, (sorry), but AS mode of long trigger pull @4.4lbs.

You WILL NOT have an accidental discharge with a double action firearm if you have any brains at all... If you DO then you are too dumb to be allowed a firearm in the first place.

Simply use common sense, and firearm safety, in always keep your cotton pickin' booger picker off the trigger UNTIL you actually intend to shoot something.. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER. (bears repeating).

Eight point eight pounds of pressure takes a lot of serious intentions to overcome.. That's why it's safe. :D (Or as safe as a person can be with a loaded firearm...)

It all boils down to whatever firearm you buy you need a first round with a heavier trigger pull.. Be that pistol or revolver. NEVER carry a firearm cocked, as that's where you get accidental, or negligent discharges..

The Walther P99/AS as with most pistols OFFERS you a light first round (4.4lb) trigger pull if you so chose, but you have to COCK the pistol, it won't cock itself, or transistion from DA to SA accidently.

I have both the P99c/AS and the full size P99/AS and I think if I were planning on any "home defense" doings I'd prefer the higher capacity (15+1/16+1) full size. Of course most of us wind up buying one or the other, then later, being so happy with the first Walther P99 we buy the other too.

I bought the compact first, but was so pleased with it's performance that I soon thereafter bought a full size too.

Here's a thought..

You sound like you might be a young gentleman, and if that is true then I would recommend you consider the Smith & Wesson SW99, and SW99c pistols. Most of us are dedicated Walther nuts and we look down on almost all other brands, but the truth is that the S&W SW99 & SW99c are basically the very same pistols as the Walthers which are all German manufacture.. I think on the Smith & Wessons the only difference is the slides and barrels are S&W, not Walther.. BUT, my buddy has an S&W99 and I've shot it, and he's shot my Walthers and they are very much the same..

The only MAJOR difference for me IF I were a young squirt is that the SW99 and SW99c has a lifetime warranty from Smith & Wesson, while the all German Walthers only have a one year warranty..

Smith and Wesson has an excellent Customer Service/Warranty reputation too. (In fact they do warranty work on the Walthers).

I'm long in the tooth (the one I have left) and I don't worry much about lifetime warranties anymore. But if I had decades of firearms ownership in front of me a good lifetime warranty would be a real plus.

Either the Walthers or the SW99's will serve you well. (Not the later S&W990's) Some dealers will try and foster off the later 990's when you are trying to buy a 99.. Sneaky little buggers sometime, (especially when they have 100 990's in stock and only 1 or 2 of the earlier, and IMO better, SW99's)/;)

Just my old fart opinion..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S. Excuse the flowers in the picture... I have a gay son and a wife who loves flowers.. They're all over the plantation.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
406 Posts
As much as I hate to do it, I think I'd endorse the above plan to get the S&W P99C. If you buy the C version you can conceal it very handily, then get some of those grip extensions to take advantage of the 15 round full size magazine.

I purchased a couple recently and was very pleased with the grip both my Walther and S&W pistol acquired. It isn't the greatest looking arrangement in the world, but it does have some serious practicality if you want to use your pistol for the bedside or other static purpose.

So, the most versitile thing and the cheapest is to get that S&W, the two flavors of compact magazines, a couple of full size magazines, and the grip extensions. By playing mix and match you have the most options possible.

Now comes the hard part. [speaking through clenched teeth] I shot my compact S&W the other day for the first time and was very pleased with its performance, damnit. It seems to be every bit as accurate as the Walther version, although I much perfer the shape and style of the Walther. There. I said it. The S&W looks clunky in comparison to the Walther, but this is one of those things that the proof was in the pudding, and it passed its range test with flying colors.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If you buy the C version you can conceal it very handily, then get some of those grip extensions to take advantage of the 15 round full size magazine.
Ahhhhh nice one there..... that sure sounds like a keeper :D

I keep forgetting about these grip extensions....here is a pic if you wonder what we are talking about

http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/III/10.html

the above site is a good start to know all you need to know about the P99....so you might want to bookmark it or just read it all :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
FWIW,
A Sig 239 in 9mm might be nice since you are a smaller framed guy. But if I had one gun to choose I would go with a P99c and get a grip extension or two. Now here comes my bias...I would go with the Walther. Why? Simply because it is the real deal, not a clone. I have nothing against S&Ws if they were the primary manufacturer. But, except for price, (and you can find deals on Walthers) why go with a clone. Lifetime warranty, perhaps, but personally I would go with the Walther. Even though you are a young shooter, one day you will become grizzled old shooter. You will find that Walther firearms are like Colts, they will only go up in value. And if you do buy Walther, never sell it. Hold on to that puppy otherwise you will be sorry. I have owned many different brands of firearms over the years but I always come back to some of the classics. I own Colt SAAs, Autos and Walther pistols. The rest have come and gone. Currently you may not think along these lines?but give it time. FWIW. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help everyone, I do really appreciate it.

Yes I am a younger shooter, being only 21....too many years left of college to go (about 7...3 years of pharmacy school then 4 of med school.) Right now money isn't really a big deal to me that's why I was looking at the more high quality firearms (I would rather spend the extra money on one that I can hold onto my whole life than buying more than one.) I liked that idea of the grip extensions for the p99c, but I was wondering (because I've heard on other forums) that shorter barrels make it so the bullets don't expand. Is the barrel of the p99c long enough to make a 9mm bullet expand?

Also is a 9mm bullet a good choice? I don't really know much between the .40 and the .45 but I don't think a p99 comes in a .45 and was wondering if the .40 was a lot different than the 9mm.

Once again thanks for the advice, and I am looking forward to buying my new firearm soon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am by far not an expert in firearms, but I've read a lot on the internet:) . I'm in my early 50's and just took up shooting earlier this year. I haven't shot a lot of pistols but I'm glad I bought my Walther P99. I like the full-size I have in .9mm. I would suggest getting the full-size and learning to shoot with it for awhile. Borrow and rent some other guns over the next year or so and then you can add to your collection.

I also have a Glock 30. I plan to pick up a couple of revolvers and a P22 next.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well I haven't chronographed the difference from a 3.5 and 4 '' bbl but I dare say it is not going to make that much difference. As per caliber that is a matter of personal choice and being a young college student maybe you have been spared some of the "caliber" war threads. If you choose a 9mm you will be fine. Shot placement and follow up shots are more important than the "magic" bullet. If you are not going to shoot much and just want the gun for defense, a 40 or 45 would be the ticket. If you plan on shooting you gun much with cost of ammo going crazy then don't underestimate the value of a good 9mm. Easy and cheaper to shoot. If I were you I would look into a full size P99 or Sig 229 in either 9mm or 40. As for me I could have anyone that I want but I settled on 2 full size and a compact P99 AS in 9mm. I am happy and I shoot often.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome thanks for all the advice everyone! Is the P99 still an easily concealable gun with a good holster? I'm not that big of a guy, 5'9'' 150 pounds only so I don't have much room to hide a gun.
Im 5'10" 135. I can completely hide a P99 AS full size. I need no compact. It might be nice for a backup;) Also listen to Jake. He's not blowing smoke. If youre just learning to shoot Id start with a 9mm and work up to larger calibers as they can be more difficult to handle. I start out all my new shooters with a .22lr however if you need something for home defense Id say 9mm. If you want something more substantial Id consider a shotgun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts