Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 weeks ago I bought a used Springfield XD-9 from my gunshop/ffl.  Reads lost about them, it felt good and the price was great for near-NIB with tactical light and all of the usual accessories.

Took it to the range and HATED the trigger.  It was accuratem but the SA trigger was much too light for me to carry.  After 2 mags, I put is in the bag and that was it.

Went to the gunshop to do a transfer of a CZ75 that I bought and mentioned my problem with the XD-9.  He showed me a pair of P-99s that he had, one an Interarms import .40, one mag (orange followers), box, 3 extra sights, one extra grip insert with a serial of 401XXX and a KI datestamp.  The other was a .40 Walther USA LLC import with a serial of 46XXXX, no date stamp.  A Military with 2 extra grip inserts, 3 extra sights, 2 mags (orange followers), 2 mags, mag tool, box, lock, papers--a whole kit.

One of the things I like about this gunshop is that they do not clean and prep the pistols when they come in--that lets you see how they have been cared for.  Both needed a cleaning (it amazes me that someone would sell a firearm they have not prepped), but bores were shiny, no wear.

He offered me  a full trade  and add 60 bucks for either one.

I picked the Military.  Took it home, cleaned it and took it for a test fire.  Wonderful trigger, accurate, and comfortable.

Now I'm a CZ guy and love my two CZ100 DAO pistols (one 9 and one .40)--they are my carry pistols most of the time, but the P-99 is the most comfortable polymer DA pistols I have ever used. So my carry pistol will likely change.

I called the gunshop up and made a deal for the other one--will pick it up sometime this week.

I read the P-99 FAQ page and everything else I could find, but thought if I posted this possibly someone could offer some additional wisdom.

Over the weekend I bought two 12 round factory mags on Gunbroker--now all I need is a 9mm conversion barrel...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome, cigarman. BTW, lovely avatar!

It finally worked, Robert. Thanks for the suggestions. The last one did it.

For those that don't know him, cigarman is a gun enthusiast. Moderator at the CZ forum and a regular in others. And he seems to have finally acquired a taste for our beloved Walthers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you my Friend. Wonderful to be here.

For anyone reading this post, I registered a few days ago and could log in, but no posting. It turned out that I was logging into Waltherforum.com amd the cookies are for waltherforums.com--my IE was not directing me properly. All is fine now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Cigarman, glad to hear the suggestion helped.

For those who might be experiencing the same problem of logins not persisting, I have added a pointer to the "Registering at Waltherforums" thread. It has to do with the multiple domains that are listed, and how they are pointed to the parent domain on my ISP's server.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have never used a barrel conversion on a P99... But i hear that they cause excessive wear on the slide. I am not an expert (or anywhere near) but maybe you should talk to someone who Knows about this problem. Before you convert.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I had not heard that with any pistol with a well-fitted barrel (specs in outside dimensions).

Anyone have knowledge of this???

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Maybe from a conversion to .357SIG, but I wouldn't think there would be any additional wear to the less powerful 9mm. BTW, I haven't seen a conversion from .40 to 9mm. The slide may have too much mass.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Also the breech face is too wide and may cause extraction problems, though I have read 40 to 9 works on Sig 229's, so it might work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have two 9mm Keltec P-11s and conversion barrels/slides for .40 and .357 SIG. They work fine. That is the reason that I was looking for c conversion barrel for my P-99s.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have never heard of anyone making a conversion, but I have an idea. If you can find or borrow a p99 in 9mm, swap out the barrel and magazine and hand cycle it. If that works load some rounds in the mag and hand cycle it to see if they feed and eject properly. If they do, then load one round and fire it. I have no idea if a .40 slide will house a 9mm barrel, but it is very possible the dimensions were made the same for ease of manufacturing. As someone mentioned earlier, the heavier slide of the .40 may cause cycling problems. If all that works, then all you will need to do is buy the barrel and magazine.

Did you check with Bar Sto Barrels? They would really be the experts on this.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I believe Bar Sto makes a .357 SIG barrel conversion for the P99.

If you have a 9mm and a .40, the slide, barrel and spring will transfer from frame to frame. (At least they do on my QA models) The 9mm barrel will fit into the .40 frame, however the 9mm barrel is shorter and is barely supported by the frame opening on the .40's slide. The .40 barrel does not fit into the 9mm slide. Also, the .40's slide is not only longer, but heavier. So, the 9mm might have a hard time pushing it back. You may end up with FTF, FTE's and who knows what else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cigarman,
I just went to the Armorer's school at S&W on 12/16. MLB is right. The 9 and 40 slides are different (the 40 is not relieved at the muzzle end so as to provide more mass to slow the slide down in recoil) though the recoil spring is the same for both guns, the extractors are different. Better off to just buy a 9 and keep the 40 original.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts