Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have 3 P99's and 2 P22's and I took the plunge and am now awaiting the arrival of a NIB P-5. So what do I do with this puppy? Any special break in tips? Should I send it off to Earl's and let him smooth it up some or is it good to go out of the box?

Will this pistol make me want to buy it's compact brother?

I know there are other threads on this but I figured this board could use some more action...

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I felt that the trigger was way much smoother than the P99's
I have been thinking of the P5c.... but I think I will pass and rather spend it on some other ones.... mostly due that I won't be using the P5 as CCW... that's what my P99c is for
Also a P5c you won't be getting that cheap
I cleaned mine and it still had blueing on the ramp.. so I knew that the guy who sold it was right when he said LNIB.... I would use some snapcaps and see how you like it.... then decide if you wanna send it off to Earl's
The German guy where Rockets bought some stuff has P5 mags for $44.... might be more in shipping but damn that beats the $79 Earl is charging... and $20 for shipping will go a long way even if it comes from Germany..... but that is just my 2 cents

Germanguns.... scroll all the way down to see all his mags

I will wait till he can export Weapon parts again (his license expiered) and order me a Barrel for the G22 and some mags then and maybe even a P99 barrel with threads.....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw some mags on line, some for $30.00 and even some ProMags for $19.99...I just want some for range use so I am wondering how these might do...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello Jake,

I think that, as with any gun, you should shoot a few hundred shots, then decide if you like it and want some improvements. Shooting is something very personnal and other's choices won't work for you.

For me, the only "improvement" I did (by myself) was to smooth the serated trigger...

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
From what dealers told me the "tripple K"' work

Not sure what those are, but I got some from this place for the PP.22lr I got coming my way

good luck

The turnaround was great..... 3 days total till they were here

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uncut,
Those are the ones I was talking about...I am waiting on my pistol and then I am going to order a few extra mags and some Nill grips. Do the grips take much fitting?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
No not really........
Try them first,,,, as Nill still thinks they should fit out of the bag.... they were very interested in the serial # and date code of my P5.....

Shoot me a PM with a good email for you to get some hi rez pics.... and I send them to you.... before and after with marks where I fitted mine.....
I am certain at this point it was Nill's quality department that missed some minor detail.... but it was overall a easy fix once you take a close look at the pannels

*edit.... if it wasn't for the grain of the wood you would not be able to tell those are 2 panels that are held together with a srew... where the grips are stippeled you can't tell that there is 2 panels.......

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Ok
so today I put my P5 to the test next to my P99 in 9mm
damn damn damn...... I haven't had much time to go to the range the last few weeks due to working on the G22 but I made time to compare the 2 today....
I want another P5 to carry.... the P5 is IMHO a much better shooter overall..... much less felt recoil, much better trigger

The only bad part is that the sight color is dull and not as bright as they came factory I guess and only holds 8 rounds...other than that I am curious as of why Walther quit P5 production... sweet shooter and accurate, lightweight too...

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
cooooool

My PP .22lr got here today too..... I will to be leaving in a few to pick it up......

Let's do a show and tell later today !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I may have to borrow a friends camera since I don't have one...I would rather spend the money on something I can really shoot.

I must say that I am more than a little impressed with this P5. First of all it is NIB with cleaning rod, test target, manuel and safety manuel from Interarms. I am amazed at just how good it feels in the hand and that this full size is really quite compact...I can only imagine what the real compact feels like...

I have  fitted the Nill grips and they look and feel fantastic. I just need to do a little more on the mag release. An exacto knife and some sandpaper did the trick. Reminded me of when I would fit grips on my .45 Colt SAA.

I was some proud when I picked it up today at the dealer. No one there had seen a P5 in person. They too were impressed since it was their first one, as well as, the condition. The range gunsmith took a look and made several positive comments that although it is a marginal model, the P5 is one fine pistol. I think I will just admire it for about a week and then take it out for a test fire....

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
congrats..... I am glad I pointed out a P5 that got picked up from a forum member........
you will be more impressed once you take it to the range...

I haven't touched my P99 since I shot the P5......

kinda sucks ... since I wanna keep the P5 in a good condition... but it's hard not to shoot once you get hooked

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your pics of what to do with the Nill grips really helped. When I emailed them with a question they sent me your pics as a reply of what I should do. My P5 is an '87.

It looks and feels so grand that I almost do not want to shoot it, but I know that won't happen.

I would like to get a spare mag or two and a nice leather holster...I would send pics but this one looks just like Dr. Lunde's.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
There is a P5 mag on gunbroker right now..... $70 shipping included ($64 "buy it now" + $6 shipping)...
cheaper than Earls...... not by mch but it is a factory original...and you do need at least 2 factory ones right hehehe
P5 mag

buy it before I decide to get a 6th mag for mine  

SO even on the older one the grips don't fit huh ?? I kinda had a feeling it was a quality issue there ..... not that I wouldn't buy Nills again....but it just didn't look right that the cutout where it goes in the frame wasn't in a right angle....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I may have to email the seller...the picture is for a P99 mag... I had it happen before. Bought one type and the seller advertised the wrong one...yeah I need at least two. But may have to wait a few days until my cash flow returns.

Most of the finish work was where the frame fit around the cut out and the cut outs where too large. I simply marked it with a pencil and then took the razor to it. The mag release really needed some filing however. But once I got the angle correct, the release slipped right over the edge of the grip the way it was supposed to and works fine.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Jake,,,,,
underneith the picture it says this
"""This picture is representative of a group of items.. It may not match the exact item that you are looking at"""

I checked the WAF # from my other 2 I had ordered and it matches.....

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
It's all good
I just took it (so nobody else would)...... let me know when you ready for it and I will pass it on to you....
and if you should find a better deal somewhere else I always can add it to my collection.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts