Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the boards and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am not sure how many other females are on this board, but hopefully I am not the only one.

I ordered my P99 QA in .40 about 2 months ago and after headaches upon headaches, it has finally come in. I am actually heading to pick it up tonight. Getting Meprolight night sights put on right away and I can't wait to get out and start shooting! I have wanted this gun for about 5 years, and finally took the step and actually ordered one.

I am sure I will be asking a load a questions in the future. This looks like a great website, with a lot of knowledgable people. Anyone from MN by chance? - Skister

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not from MN, but I wanted to say "welcome." It's good to have you here. Feel free to ask all the questions you want to. Just be patient in waiting for responses. Some of the people here don't log in very often.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi

wellcome. I am not of the senior members but I do enjoy reading this forum. Is very nice to see new people, specially when they make many questions (and people replies with great knowledge), or also when they contribute with their comments, experiences and tips, on their P99s. I have also seen other forum of more "popular" guns, and realize this is a very polite forum. It might not be as crowded as the other ones, but it is also a very civilzed forum. In those other forum one is not done asking advice as whether one should get 9mm or 40 when a world war starts, hehe. saludos

Hector

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you're good looking, single, and ungodly wealthy I could arrange to be from MN.

Welcome to the boards and welcome to owning a damned fine gun!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the welcome's! This is my first Walther. I actually have quite a few shotguns and rifles (MN hunting), but this is my first real pistol (I have a Buckmark .22, but that is just for plunking around and red squirrels!
). I am also signing up for a carry class, so I can carry it. Sorry ASCI White, I'm married.
Nice try though. - Skister

·
Registered
263 Posts
skister,
Welcome to the board!

I was curious about what made you choose the P99 for shooting/carrying? I'll be doing my best to get my g/f to consider some sort of pistol when she turns 21 in a few. Selling points for the P99 would be very helpful

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were a few main reasons that I picked Walther when I decided to get a new handgun. I am a mechanical design engineer and am really drawn to the design of things. When I saw and felt the P99, I really liked it. It wasn't the ugly block like a Glock and just seemed to have really nice lines to me. Also, I tend to research things quite extensively (another engineering trait) and heard so many great things about this gun. I knew that it had been designed really well, and that is always a plus in my mind. I had narrowed it down to a H&K USP Compact .40 or the P99. I liked them both a lot, but the fit of the Walther just won out for me. I have pretty small hands and the Walther just seemed to fit them better. It was also just a better bang for the buck, so to speak.
- Skister

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome the the forum!  Not sure if you'll find many females on the P99 forum, though I think Jennifer Garner has been packing one on ALIAS lately  
 .  I'm a fellow engineer and P99 40 owner myself though.  I agree with your thoughts on the P99 vs. the Glock completely.  The P99 is a well desigend and reliable firearm.  You made a good choice.

I am curious what made you decide on the .40 though?  I think you made a good choice (that's what I have), but a lot of guys seem to shy away from the 40 in favor of the 9mm for recoil reasons.  I'd like to hear a female's analytical opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me a 9mm just doesn't have the take down power that I would like. I have shot 9's before and just wanted something more powerful I guess. I am not bothered at all by the recoil on the .40. I have actually shot a friend's Sig in .45 quite a bit and had no problems with that either. I think my next gun will be of that caliber. I just really like the .40 caliber as a whole. - Skister

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good call skister...I think I may just have to get my g/f to hold one. Hopefully it will win her over as it has done so many other people.

I've taken a few people to gunshows over the last few weeks who don't know much about firearms and wanted to be introduced to them. When I showed them a Glock and asked them what they thought of it (in a totally non-biased way), all of them said 1) they are ugly and blocky, and 2) they don't feel right in the hand.

I've always said Glocks are the Honda Civics of handguns...everybody's got one, and I'd bet lots of people got one because somebody else has one and they are 'in'.

I chose the 9mm over .40 S&W mostly because of the difference in ammo prices. I was planning to shoot a lot, and mostly target shooting, so cheaper ammunition was a big plus. And many people are saying that with the right loads, 9mm, .40, and .45 have generally similar one-shot-stop probabilities. And even if they are wrong, I think the easier shot control of the 9mm makes up for it. I would have to agree that the .40 in itself is not a hard round to control though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts