Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't fired my new p99 yet, and was wondering about the single action.
Mine is double action for the first shot, and can be cocked by pulling the slide back a bit for single action with the trigger in the forward position. The manual says that after the first shot is fired, the trigger will go to single action with the trigger in the rearward postition for less takeup. However, mine doesn't seem to that. When I rack my slide all the way back to duplicate the shooting action, the trigger still goes to SA forward, so I have a lot of take-up before the trigger releases.

Does the trigger only go to SA rearward when a round is chambered or when the pistol is otherwise loaded?
I know that this is a goofy question, and that I could find out by shooting it, but I don't have the time or money right now and would just like to familiarize myself with my sexy new gun! And even though I bought it used from a sporting goods store, that doesn't neccessarily mean it is in perfect working condition. Already, I noticed that the front sight blade is missing the screw, and that the slide has a lot of side to side rattle (about 1/16 inch), though since the barrel is tight with the slide, I doubt this will affect accuracy.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The P99 is a combat pistol, so the side to side play is almost normal. Many have reported the side to side play and it will be less once you insert a fully loaded mag also.
And yes the regualr short single action trigger takeup will only come in play when shooting the pistol....even when you put snapcaps in it and cock the gun, the trigger will stay in forward position.... that is till you make your first live shot .. the 2nd shot will be SA with short reset
they now call the P99 DA/SA the P99/AS (anti stress) which is just a fancy name for this pistols action.....
I am sure you can get a sight screw from S&W (Waltheramerica)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Uncut is right, of course. Without actually firing the pistol and taking advantage of the blowback, it won't go into single action w/ trigger rearward.

If you want to see what the reset is like, unload the gun, dry fire it, do not release the trigger, rack the slide, then release the trigger. It will be reset single action/trigger rearward. Without the slide cycle, the gun will go back into double action.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I haven't fired my new p99 yet, and was wondering about the single action.
Mine is double action for the first shot, and can be cocked by pulling the slide back a bit for single action with the trigger in the forward position. The manual says that after the first shot is fired, the trigger will go to single action with the trigger in the rearward postition for less takeup. However, mine doesn't seem to that. When I rack my slide all the way back to duplicate the shooting action, the trigger still goes to SA forward, so I have a lot of take-up before the trigger releases.

Does the trigger only go to SA rearward when a round is chambered or when the pistol is otherwise loaded?
I know that this is a goofy question, and that I could find out by shooting it, but I don't have the time or money right now and would just like to familiarize myself with my sexy new gun! And even though I bought it used from a sporting goods store, that doesn't neccessarily mean it is in perfect working condition. Already, I noticed that the front sight blade is missing the screw, and that the slide has a lot of side to side rattle (about 1/16 inch), though since the barrel is tight with the slide, I doubt this will affect accuracy.
I thought that the first shot was single action because racking the slide cocks the striker, unless you decock the striker whereby it will then go to double action. By then racking the slide back a bit, you can recock the striker and you are then back to first shot single action. At least that is the way I believe my new P99c works.

Do I have this screwed up?

Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron, you are correct. However, I refer to the first shot as the first shot from safe carry mode.

So basically what makes the trigger stay in rearward when firing is the fact that your finger keeps the trigger back while the gun is recocking?

Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ron, you are correct. However, I refer to the first shot as the first shot from safe carry mode.

So basically what makes the trigger stay in rearward when firing is the fact that your finger keeps the trigger back while the gun is recocking?

Thanks you guys.
No, your finger has nothing to do with it. Trigger reset on an AS is only 7mm or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was my thinking based on what I tried:
I picked up my gun like BlakeTyner said and pulled the trigger, then racked the slide with the trigger still held, it recocked to single rearward. I assumed that this is exactly how it would work during firing, only much faster. Because your trigger finger would never move forward fast enough before the slide recocked, the trigger would cock in the rearward position

If this isn't what is going on, what is?
Also, I don't know what "Trigger reset on an AS is only 7mm or so." is supposed to explain.
Please elaborate. Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yep, after the first shot I do not relaese my finger back to full length. Just enough to where it resets enough for the next shot so that there is no creep to go thru again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts