Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out and about today and found a Zella Mehlis PPK for 299.00 at cabellas . Bluing is about 75-80 percent . Had some very light rust on the left side and was filled with 70 years of dirt and lint. Magazine it came with was newer and the loaded chamber indicator pin spring is broken. Bore is perfect . 51E00CE2-1323-4726-A90F-F92FE279BC40.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The safety felt weird when I rotate it and sometimes wouldn’t rotate . Took some time this morning and stripped the gun and found out that someone improvised with the firing pin spring ( it’s almost 1/2” short ) and I pulled out the loaded chamber indicator and spring.

I can’t find the old style spring for the indicator pin in stock , will a new style work if I replace the pin with a new style ?

·
Registered
929 Posts
You done good!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well , upon closer inspection I found that the firing pin in the gun , doesn’t belong in the gun.... no idea what it came out of but it was made to “fit” my walther but looks nothing like a ppk firing pin . Just ordered the one I need from Numrich.

AC690AFE-51C9-4A52-81AF-CD51CB5F6ECB.jpg here’s someone’s “fine” firing pin they installed in the gun

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
home', you simply stole that, even if it does take some futzing to make it entirely functional.
Good luck and enjoy.
Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It was a good buy but I don't detect any "theft". A PPK with "light rust", not fully functional -- especially one with an obviously broken grip and that upon examination needs expensive replacement parts-- simply does not command the premium price that one expects to pay for a collector's piece. Not even close, and no amount of money spent thereafter will transform it into one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun. But let's be realistic: What is it worth as a shooter?

M

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the firing pin in and all seems to be working , it has a small burr on the safety drum in the narrow slot that the safety drum’s detect rides in and i need to clean that up a bit. for a total of 61 dollars I was able to get all the parts togeather to get it working . Now all I need is another set of grips to shoot with

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
I dunno, Mike.

If the OP has that gun, functioning properly, for less than $400...
Were it me, I'd feel like I at least got away with something, if not outright theft. ;)
Moon

Reactions: Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't worry about the safety pin or it's associated spring whatsoever. Leave 'em out - those part have no bearing on the functionality of the PPK and add unnecessary complication. I would consider myself quite blessed indeed were I to find a ZM PPK for anything resembling what you paid, even if it needed a little help. Hoping for the best, and a range report sure would be nice!

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hey Pilot Steve, please educate me on this "safety pin & spring" on the older models. I know the firing pins were the two piece design and the hammer block springs were the wire (not coil) type and the drum was 90 degrees. Forgive me if I'm not up to speed because my experiences are with the post war parts. Unless you are referring to the cartridge indicator parts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Hey Pilot Steve, please educate me on this "safety pin & spring"... referring to the cartridge indicator parts.
Viper, from what I understand, the loaded chamber indicator pin and associated (and complex) spring may be removed from the PPK slide without affecting it's functionality. Quite the opposite actually; the fewer parts, the better.

-Pilotsteve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts