Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So excited to have picked one of these up at my LGS the other day while out with my brother helping him with his first gun purchase. This and the PPQ M1 and the only pistols I still feel like I “need” to have. It was staring at me while sitting next to a used PPQ M2 that my brother ultimately ended up purchasing. I couldn’t resist! I have since already installed a set of Tru Glo TFX sights on it. I love the way this gun feels in my hand especially with the 8 round mag. It’s such a wonderful gun to shoot (for me anyway) I’m so glad I snagged it up. Any suggestions of posts I should read up on or sticky’s I should take a look at would be welcome while I learn more about my new Walther!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice. I just recently reacquired a PPS Classic after regrettably selling one a few years ago. It's nice to have it back as they are fantastic guns with exceptional accuracy for such a small platform. I'm not much of a fan of the M2 mostly just based on looks and controls. Enjoy your Classic.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Like Jan Whitaker the PPS won be back to Walther (Had a HORRIBLE jam-o-matic PPK/S years ago that soured me on Walther) and has led to my acquiring a P99AS and P99c to compliment it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like AMO I also sold my Classic and hated doing so, but now I’ve purchased another preowned Classic PPS as I missed the versatility, accuracy, feel and the carrying of this fine pistol. Now then I’m wanting to learn how to make both kydex and leather holsters as a hobby for all my pistols.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've loved mine for the last four years as my winter carry. Much prefer the M1 over the M2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I love the M1 too. The paddle mag design is what brought me to Walther products. It’s too bad to see that they are gradually phasing this feature out. I understand why they’re doing it but it’s funny to see how many people I hand my Walthers to that actually say they like it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also a fan of the PPS M1 classic. Have one on my hip now and it's frequently carried around the house or on short trips to the mailbox. Or as BUG.

The only complaint is easily fixed. Removal of the backstrap disables the gun. Obviously you don't want that to occur if it's dropped. I solve that by using a small piece of cut rubber from any old bicycle tube as a free sleeve that adds grip texture and holds the backstrap securely in place, without adding bulk or cost to the gun.

I have 3 of these, BTW, so a inexpensive solution was necessary, rather than spending the cost of a new magazine per gun per solution...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I like my PPS M1 classic. I ordered from Walther some parts on hand. Striker assembly, RSA, extractor and extra back straps.
No problem with the backstrap popping off. However I put some rubberized 3M grip tape on the backstrap, extending to the sides of the grip .
Purpose was for better grip. Also helps secure it to the frame.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ya know. I’ve got a M1 and have never taken off the back strap and never plan to. So I’m guessing if I never mess with it it’ll never come off. Thought about doing the inner tune grip thing but opted to not do that. I just don’t think with “normal” everyday use it shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My PPS choked hard on Aluminum cased ammo. I came to find out that the PPS has a stepped chamber which does not play well with Aluminum and steel cased ammo. Stick with brass.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hope you have a much fun with your PPS Classic as I've had the past several years.

The "Sticky" thread I keep rereading is Dmar's PPS Observations found in the FAQ: PSS section. Most of the threads in that section are worth reading; some, more than once.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’ve never used steel or aluminum cased ammo. I know it’ll make me mad and cause me to “second guess” the functioning of my weapon (any pistol). Stick with quality factory brass cased ammo and you’ll be just fine not only with your new M1 but any modern blaster for the most part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As far as the back strap is concerned I’m not too worried. I think it would take more than just a drop to pop it off, although I haven’t tested this theory in any way yet. In regards to steel case ammo, I’ve run a couple boxes of Tula through mine without and issues yet. I will say it was pretty clean when I shot it. Maybe that helps? Regardless I have a bunch of Silver Bear that I will put through over the next couple range trips and we’ll see if it eats that as welll. Mine doesn’t seem to be picky.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Steel case has a lacquer coating, to prevent rust, which will soften in a hot barrel and stick to the chamber. May cause ejection failure and is hard to clean.

On the other hand, aluminum case is bare. My PPS.9.M1 runs Al just fine but I buy brass if the price is not much more.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ya know. I’ve got a M1 and have never taken off the back strap and never plan to. So I’m guessing if I never mess with it it’ll never come off. Thought about doing the inner tune grip thing but opted to not do that. I just don’t think with “normal” everyday use it shouldn’t be a problem.
What if you drop it in a struggle for your life? Pick it up and it's disabled?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts