Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just picked up this PPK and it doesn't match up with anything I can find online. It has no markings other than the serial number on the slide, but it doesn't carry the 'ac' code which is the only other reference to an unmarked PPK that I can find. The serial number dates to 1943 and it has a Dural frame. The slide serial number matches the frame and appears fairly crisp. I'm not sure if it's a reblued slide or not, since I'm not sure how crisp the serial numbers were on these to start with.

At first I thought it was just a heavily polished reblue, but now that I have it in my hands I'm not sure. All of the newer PPKs that I've seen have been rollmarked fairly deeply. I don't see any evidence of any markings where they should be on the slide, and the sides of the slide are true with no dips or waviness. All of the other slide details (serrations, wavy texture of the sight line, ect) appear sharp and intact. It makes me question whether the markings could have been removed so cleanly.

Also, the grips appear to have been painted or coated black over brown. I removed the grip and they're the same inside as outside. Was that ever done at the factory or were these painted later? If it's 100% certain that they should be brown, any tips at removing it without hurting the grips?

The only markings that I can find on the pistol are the serial number on the frame and slide, "WALTHER" banner on the grips, Eagle N on the chamber, and a very loghtly scratched name on the front grip strap, which appears to be "Tom House".

Magazine and rear sight were missing when I got it.

I'd appreciate any opinions. I don't expect much collector value, but it seems odd enough that I don't want to start trying to clean it up if I'm undoing something that I shouldn't.

I tried to take the pictures outside to get the best lighting, but if there's another view that you need to see let me know and I'll take more.

Thanks.

-Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Almost no finish remaining on the alloy frame. Near 100% blue on steel parts plus red dot under safety is missing. All slide markings other than serial number missing. Refinished.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Refinished ( probably decades ago Bubba) wartime pistol. If the bore is good an excellent shooter. I’ll bet the trigger is exceptionally smooth and light. It’s a 32 I imagine. Painted grips may be tricky. Try a teeny tiny dab of mineral spirits on the inside reverse where paint has invariably splashed to see if it loosens paint without taking off finish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another product you can use is called ELO by Testors. You can find it in hobby shops. It is a paint stripper that can be used on plastic model cars to remove old enamel or lacquer paint safely. I have used it to remove paint out of roll marks on my C&R pistols which previous owners had painted in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.