Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I posted these questions in the new member proration of the forum. But I moved them here to see if I can get a better response.

I have a new to me Walther PP, SN 333290P in 7,65 Browning. It’s either hard chromed or nickel plated. From my research it looks like it was manufactured in 1943? The PP came with one period correct magazine. Also the pistol has no import markings.

I noticed it’s missing the loaded chamber indicator. I should have checked closer.

Will if function with out the indicator?

Is there any possibility of getting the parts needed to make it whole again?

Did Walther plate Commercial PP’s in 1943 or was mine done after the fact.

Thanks for any and all information you might be able to provide me

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can we see a clear photo of both sides of your PP?

Without looking at it my assumption is that the plating job was done post-war. A lot of GI's had this done to their bringbacks and unfortunately it kills a lot of their value.

It should still make a good shooter as long as the plating isn't too thick. Maybe that's why someone removed the loaded chamber indicator? Your PP should function fine without it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Agree with Redcate94 that it will function without it, but I never liked having an empty open channel pointed at my face. That said, one of the things I've always preferred about the PP series in .22lr is they don't have a loaded chamber indicator (signal pin) or the channel for it. Would love to find a .32 PP without the channel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I will try to post some photos later this evening or tomorrow. I’m not too worried about any collectors value. I buy guns to shoot and I paid less for the PP then my wife’s plastic fantastic S&W M&P EZ.
Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good catch on the serial number. I corrected it in my first post. But here it is again 333290P.

I gave the PP a long bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and it is spotless clean now. Boy was it filthy. I removed the grips before the ultrasonic dunk and cleaned them with worm water and mild soap.

Cleaning the grips revealed some minor cracks.

Im convinced that this pistol is hard chromed. The finish in not like the nickel plating on any gun that I have seen. It’s almost like stainless steel. Actually when I purchased it I thought I was buying a much later production stainless steel Walther.

I took some pictures and will post them soon.
I just have to figure out how to post.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what do you all think of the finish? My buddy is convinced it’s stainless steel. It’s funny we keep getting round and round about this. The finish is not overly heavy on any part of the gun. Also there is absolutely no chipping or lifting of the finish any where. If you look at the underside of the slide around the safety mechanism, there is a hue and it looks like the metal was heat treated in that spot. I will post a picture when I get home from work.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok some more photos of the PP field stripped with the grips off and the slide dissembled.
Looks like it has a one piece firing pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I contacted Earl’s repair service this morning and they are shipping me a chamber indicator and spring. He also confirmed the date of manufacture as 1944.

Thank you for all the support and information provided. I’m looking forward to taking this old girl to the range and seeing how she shoots.
I will also post some pictures of my time at the range.

Tom

1 - 20 of 55 Posts