Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my P99AS to the range for the first time today. My other 9mm is a Glock 34, which is a nice and pretty accurate firearm. I have to say the P99 compared very favorably. Took me a few rounds to get used to the trigger but I was shooting almost as accurately with the P99 as with the G34. And the G34 is more of a target pistol than the P99, so t hat's pretty damned good. I was very pleased with the short trigger reset on the P99. It made putting a bunch of rounds right in the chest (well, simulated chest) very easy.

I was not as psyched about the DA pull. I may have to fire a warning shot just to cock the gun ;) More practice will help.

As for reliability, I didnt really stretch it. I ran through maybe 200 rounds of CCI blazer with no problems at all. By the end of the session I was even used to the unusual magazine release.

Overall very psyched with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Brad.....

that mag release is one of the best things next to the backstraps on the P99 IMHO... no more changing grips to get to the mag release... just use your trigger finger and the mag drops right out.... fast and easy... I luv it

Oliver

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I was not as psyched about the DA pull. I may have to fire a warning shot just to cock the gun More practice will help.
No need for a warning shot :eek: :D Just pull back on the slide from 1/8 -1/4 inch and the striker will be cocked....yes the P99 can hold its own as a good shooter against any factory gun out there....trigger takes some getting use to but after that you will love it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't messed with the backstrap. I have 3, but the one that's on there is whichever one the last owner installed.

I am just used to the other type of magazine release. One range visit doesn't constitute my final verdict LOL. I was using my right thumb. I will try the trigger figure method.

My father (who at 67 is much more accurate and faster than I) has a 990L from S&W in DAO, and a P99C in DA/SA. Both are nice, but I like the P99AS much better than the DAO. Though the DAO pull seems smoother than the DA pull on the P99.

I think next perhaps a P99C in 9mm.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Brad.....
one more thing.... pop in a snapcap and just keep pulling the trigger...
after about 500 pulls you will notice the trigger smoothing out....

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have a Glock 34 and am selling it (I have a deal pending now). I am so used to the Walther's trigger, and I do not shoot the Glock 34 very often anymore.

I took it out this Sat and put a few more rounds thru it, and I find that I now hate that Glock trigger.

I think once U get used to the P99, it will be your fav :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do they make the 99C in AS (DA/SA)? All I see on Walther's website is QA.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well they did so you may have to shop around but if you find one get it. You will like it and you will always have a resale market that will eat it up....

·
Patron
212 Posts
P99c 9mm in AS configuration............ (with some friends) ..............

·
Registered
358 Posts
I always thought that DA/SA may fuck me up. Well lets just say I was in a bad area of the woods a while back, and a known aggressive animal of the tusked veriety came chargeing at me. All 5 rounds I shot were in the poor things head. The grouping was about the size of a orange, and I pulled right as the damn thing was at about 15 feet.

Honestly I can't remember the DA, and after some range induced stress practice I don't think its really a factor. Sucky for plinking yes! Self defense aplications though I think its negliable.

Likewise I think the standard trigger on the glock sucks a fat one, and after 150-200 rounds my finger feels like I was trying to choke a baby to death for hours. However out of the holster under range stress I can't tell you much of a differnce between that and the 3.5 trigger bar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was just looking at Guns at cost (gunsatcost.com) and see they have p99c AS listed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts