Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a P99 from Gunbroker. I was a bit nervous, but I really wanted the older style (pre-2004) frame and couldn't find one locally. The transaction went perfectly, and the gun was in great condition.

I've since purchased 2 15rd mags from Earl's (after a failed experiment with 2 of the 8.99 mags from CDNN...).

I've put over 2000 rds through the gun at my local range. I'm using the cheapest WWB and Remington UMC ammo I can buy.

Not a single FTF or FTE. I'm really starting to get a feel for the gun, and (with a flier here and there) can get consistent 4" groups at ~25 feet. That's probably not great, but I'm happy. I love the feeling at the range after a couple hundred rounds and there are nothing but big holes in the targets :).

A couple of questions...

1) My P99 is DA/SA (not AS). When I first load a mag and release the slide, the trigger remains all the way forward. There is then a extremely light pull until it clicks into place for SA. I shot a SW99 many months ago when I was evaluating guns, and I don't recall it doing that. On the Sig's that I've rented the trigger will actually move to SA position when a mag is inserted and the slide released. Is this normal for the P99?

2) With the new 15rd mags from Earls (Walther mags), when I get to the 13th or 14th round loaded, something rattles in the mag. Is this normal?

3) The 15th round is a real pain in the buttocks to load in these mags. It's to the point that I'm gonna start thinking of them as 14rd mags :). Normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
question 1:   yes this is normal,,, think of it as a lil sfty I guess

question 3: normal also give it some time... load and unload them by hand a few times.....

I never noticed any rattleing in my mags.. and I have 5 from Earl...... though I also got some $25 15 rounders from Sportsman warehouse Walther fatory mags that are just as much of a pain to load to 15 round......

The other option is.... buy some 16 round S&W SW99 mags at CDNN .... and only fill it up to 15

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey there merlocka, I prefer the older style myself. I think it's kind of a nostalgic thing or something. I don't know...

1. Mine does the same thing. Had to check, because I flat don't notice it any more. When I shoot, I use to always make sure I had my DA/SA in SA mode for the first shot. Now I make my self use the DA for the first shot. There again, I don't even think about the DA being a trifle long to pull. It just doesn't bother me anymore... The trigger just gets better, or I'm just getting use to it...
2. Yes, my Sig high caps rattle too. I think it is fairly common with staggered magazines...
3. Yes that last round can be tough... I normally shoot my 10 rounders any more, that last round is rough with them too. Some ranges have limitations on how many rounds you can have in your mag at one time, so I put the wear on the low caps. I proof my high caps, then use them for carry or put them away... They all will get easier with use...

Don't cha just Love the P99?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe I should clarify better on the mag rattle. They don't always rattle. Sometimes when fully loaded they can rattle. At that time, I will rap the primer side of the mag on my palm once or twice and the bullets will seat. The same mag, can start to have a rattle after partially emptied, then I figure I just need to empty it all the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know everything is 5x5.

Yes, I really do like this gun.

I told myself, when I decided to become a gun owner, that I would spend a lot of time deciding on which one to get. And that would be it. Just one. The P99 fits the bill for me.

However... I'm already starting to think about #2 :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My P99 is DA/SA (not AS).
Nope, your P99 is AS, that is the whole point of the trigger staying forward when you chamber a round. AS=Anti Stress.
None of my 16 rnd mags rattle, but maybe the 15s are different.
It is a pain to load the mags fully. I usually use a HKS speedloader when loading mags, makes it much easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fenrir Wulff @ April 03 2006,6:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My P99 is DA/SA (not AS).
Nope, your P99 is AS, that is the whole point of the trigger staying forward when you chamber a round. AS=Anti Stress.
None of my 16 rnd mags rattle, but maybe the 15s are different.
It is a pain to load the mags fully. I usually use a HKS speedloader when loading mags, makes it much easier.
Interesting... and I should have know this based on the P99 FAQ listed here.

However, for some reason I thought the Anti-Stress would give a full DA pull for the first round, and not the light movement to SA position.

Well, that clarifies that. Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (merlocka @ April 03 2006,3:55)]
1) That is SOP for an AS trigger, I'm not familiar with the DA/SA trigger. What does mag in have to do with it?

2&3) Run nothing but factory mags and you'll never have problems. I've got 10,000 rounds through my P99QA to date with zero FTF/FTE issues, except with a cheap ProMag I picked up at a gun show. I run the 15 round Walther mags from Sportsmans Guide and they do not rattle while loading. Also A Baretta speed loader is usefull for loading P99 mags, especially the tight last one.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of P99 ownership and to the forum.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, for some reason I thought the Anti-Stress would give a full DA pull for the first round, and not the light movement to SA position.
It will, you have to use the decocker though

·
Registered
539 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ April 04 2006,6:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, for some reason I thought the Anti-Stress would give a full DA pull for the first round, and not the light movement to SA position.
It will, you have to use the decocker though
One of the best features of the AS IMO. I love that heavy first DA pull capability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts