Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. I've been a member here for years, but have never posted till now. I used to own a Walther PPK/S (.380 ACP) which I purchased new in the summer of 2013. Up to November 2018, I had put about 1000 rounds downrange with it. By that time, the little Walther was becoming more and more unreliable—namely its inability to fully cycle after firing. I had experienced this off and on throughout the life of the pistol, but by late 2018, the problem had become chronic.

So I contacted Walther Arms, and soon had the PPK/S and three magazines sent off in a generic pistol case to Walther Arms in Fort Smith, AR. I was later informed my pistol would require a new barrel to complete the repair. Over the phone, a Walther representative said it would need to be imported from Germany, and thus a long wait was ahead before my PPK/S would return.

Months later, I received a package from Walther Arms. Inside I was surprised to find a pistol with familiar slide wear, but on a frame with a different serial number. The action was tight, the internals looked new, and everything arrived in a Walther branded box with matching new serial number, complete with all the manuals, lock, and materials you'd expect from a new purchase. Walther also threw in an additional two magazines for a total of five.

Eager for a function test, I took the mostly new PPK/S to the range. 55 rounds later, I was pleased to find the little Walther fed, cycled, and fired every round with no drama. It's a great little shooter, to quote a certain YouTube famous Tennessean.

Because of the new frame, the pistol no longer had the safety/decocker recall indication mark on the beaver tail as it once had before repair.

-----

Anyway, that was the past. I sold it on GunBroker not long after. Since then, I scored a mint 1998-test-fired blued PPK in .380 ACP.

Photos from the seller's Gunbroker ad.

You'll notice it's one of the last Ranger made PPKs since it came in a blue box with the Walther sticker covering the Smith & Wesson logo. Compared with my old S&W PPK/S, the PPK is lighter, easier to conceal, prettier, and shoots straighter (for me)–possibly because of the white on black sights as opposed to red on black of my old PPK/S.

So far I've only put a hundred rounds or so through it, but it's been a mix of Aguila 95 Gr FMJ, MagTech 95 Gr FMJ, Precision One 90 Gr HP/XTP (in standard and so called +P variants), and Hornady Custom 90 Gr XTP. It fed and fired it all with no malfunctions of any kind.

I gotta say I'm really pleased with my purchase. Sorry for the off topic book at the outset.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, James!

I forgot to ask (and this question goes out to anyone), I noticed I can't find replacement factory plastic grips for this firearm. I was always able to find PPK/S grips easily, but the PPK wrap around ones are no where to be found.

If these were to ever crack, where are you all sourcing factory replacements?

·
Registered
629 Posts
They are better made than the S&W version and shouldn't crack easily as long as you don't over tighten the grip screw. I do not know yet if the new Walther production grips will fit because of the extended beaver tail.

Spares can be obtained online from time to time from ebay and gunbroker, though I have noticed a drop in the frequency of their appearances this year. Wood grips and second hand manufacturers are still prevalent.

Reactions: Hyde

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Better to have a pistol without matching numbers that functions properly over one with matching numbers that doesn't....unless it is a easy fix. 1917

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A beauty...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are better made than the S&W version and shouldn't crack easily as long as you don't over tighten the grip screw. I do not know yet if the new Walther production grips will fit because of the extended beaver tail.

Spares can be obtained online from time to time from ebay and gunbroker, though I have noticed a drop in the frequency of their appearances this year. Wood grips and second hand manufacturers are still prevalent.
Good to know.

Wow. Very good condition.
It looked and felt like it had never been fired. Mags had absolutely no wear.

Really nice to see Walther stood by their product and took care of you.
Yep! And even though they did, I still sold it. Hopefully it treats the new owner well.

Better to have a pistol without matching numbers that functions properly over one with matching numbers that doesn't....unless it is a easy fix. 1917
Well whether or not I had kept the old one, I'd have had matching numbers either way. I like the PPK better than the PPK/S though, so there's that.

A beauty...
Love that Ranger stuck with the original design.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went to the range the other day and shot a few more rounds through it (I was mostly shooting other guns), and got my first malfunction, albeit a minor one: stovepipe/failure to extract spent casing.

This was probably only my 20th round shot. I put a couple more mags through it after that and everything was fine.

At this point, I'm at roughly a 1% failure rate with this gun which is far and away better than the pistol it replaced. I'm curious, what do you all consider acceptable for type and frequency of malfunctions in these handguns?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ideally zero, but the Interarms models can sometimes be finicky. Although I have never had any issues with any of mine personally, some people state that they needed to find particular brands of ammunition that function well and that each Interarms made PPK is unique. I can say that grip is important to ensure that the pistol cycles as it was designed. If one were to limp wrist while shooting, miss feeds and extraction issues can occur.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
A firm grip and clean magazines will cure most such problems. ;)

Reactions: 93978
1 - 12 of 12 Posts