Walther Forums banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Massad A has an article on mag capacity in the current issue of Combat Handguns magazine.
Anyone who "claims" 10 is plenty needs to read it. Mas gives numerous examples where 10, 20, even 30 was NOT ENOUGH.
If I end up dead with an empty gun in my hand, it should be by MY choice, and MINE ONLY. NOT because of some arbitrary number pulled out the asses of some beurocrats or anti-gunner groups.

This issue........

"Combat Handguns Magazine Subscription" Combat Handguns Magazine Subscription

·
Registered
981 Posts
Massad A has an article on mag capacity in the current issue of Combat Handgun magazine.
Anyone who "claims" 10 is plenty needs to read it. Mas gives numerous examples where 10, 20, even 30 was NOT ENOUGH.

This issue........

"Combat Handguns Magazine Subscription" Combat Handguns Magazine Subscription
I think it all boils down to situations. I got caught on the expressway when there were riots in Austin, and they us stopped. (Wasn't close, they were trying to re-direct us away from downtown) while parked and waiting to be turned around, I was watching some of it happen on my phone, definitely considered how many rounds was enough. Also another situation earlier this year down in Mission for work had me thinking about it. What I decided for myself is that there are just some situations I'm not going to be able to be prepared for, no matter what I do. It's just not practical. What I did was try to come up was the "credible" situation for myself, and go from there.

If everything else is equal, or close, I can see round count being a reason to make a choice. Then again, if someone decides that a gun fits better, or conceals better, or whatever their criteria is, and it has less rounds...more power to 'em. While I poked fun at Mopar for his criticism of people who choose round count, I think he absolutely nailed it in his second paragraph. Carry what you are comfortable with, for your own reasons. I'm certainly not judging, (even though he was....) When you are talking "life decisions", gotta be something you are 100% comfortable with, that suits your own criteria.

Mas is definitely right though...before people make a decision, or critique someone else's, they oughta have that info, so they make the best personal decision that they can.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've never heard anyone complain about having too much ammo.
Completely correct, I didn't say anywhere as well.
But some complain, or at least find it annoying, to have less than 8 or 10 rounds.
Well, a quote from a famous Prussian king fits perfectly: "Jeder soll nach seinem Facon glückselig werden - Everyone should be happy according to his or her own way." 😄

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
94 Posts
. I'm certainly not judging, (even though he was....)
I figured someone would misread what I wrote and take offense to it. That just proves my point about insecurity and keyboard warriors.

However, if you go back and read my post, my first paragraph was responding to the question of why “some people” put a high priority on round count. It was not a generalization about everyone. There are valid reasons for high round count and I also noted in my second paragraph that I fully support people making that decision for themselves.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
94 Posts
I had to laugh....

The quote in the signature, about walking a mile in someone's shoes before criticizing them....and then guessing it's insecurity? That's funny...pot meet kettle.
Ha ha ha ha ha. You missed the second half of my signature then.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I found that my round count parallels the rise in violence . I have 16+1 in the PPQ 45, 24+1 in the Glock 21 and 18+1 in the Sig 229. Prior to that I was comfortable with 8-10 rounds of any caliber.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Average number of attackers in a violent encounter in the US last year was around 3. Multiply that by two hits gets you six required if you never miss a shot.

Multiply that by at least two assuming on a good day you get 50% hits under stress. That gets you to 12 for a basically worst case scenario with three attackers that don't retreat.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
NYPD/LAPD/FBI have concluded that under stress an average of 20% shots fired hit the intended subject. 🤔 These are the results of "professionals" who train to "handle" stressful situations. 🤔

10 Rd max? 🤪

"Are Ten Rounds of Ammo Enough for Concealed Carry? - Option Gray" Are Ten Rounds of Ammo Enough for Concealed Carry? - Option Gray

More..........

"Massad Ayoob: Carrying Spare Ammunition for Self-Defense – Personal Defense World" Massad Ayoob: Carrying Spare Ammunition for Self-Defense

·
Registered
94 Posts
Average number of attackers in a violent encounter in the US last year was around 3
Not arguing your logic, but I'd love to read the studies that concluded this. Do you have links?

·
Registered
336 Posts
As already said, everyone should be blissful with the magazine capacity of the micro-compact pistol chosen for himself according to his own facon.
For me personally, the best, safest and most forgiving handling safety and reliability under all circumstances and situations and with all carrying options is much more important than any magazine capacity, even absolutely decisive, with such a small pistol.
That's why any striker-fired micro-compact pistol is never an option for me.
Maybe I would still think about a striker-fired micro-compact with DAO or DA / SA with a release lever, but it would only be a second choice.

·
Super Moderator
2,381 Posts
As already said, everyone should be blissful with the magazine capacity of the micro-compact pistol chosen for himself according to his own facon.
For me personally, the best, safest and most forgiving handling safety and reliabity under all circumstances and situations and with all carrying options is much more important than any magazine capacity, even absolutely decisive, with such a small pistol.
That's why any striker-fired micro-compact pistol is never an option for me.
Maybe I would still think about a striker-fired micro-compact with DAO or DA / SA with a release lever, but it would only be a second choice.
GeMor, as you have said many times now, you carry a handgun to finish off a wounded animal while hunting.

This is a very different use case than someone carrying a gun for self-defense primarily against humans.

·
Registered
336 Posts
GeMor, as you have said many times now, you carry a handgun to finish off a wounded animal while hunting.

This is a very different use case than someone carrying a gun for self-defense primarily against humans.
What I wrote in my last post also applies in principle to a self-defense situation against human attacks, e.g. in my hunting ground, in my house or on my property.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Well, I'm a US citizen, and I EDC in the US.
I put more weight behind the words of Mas A. then anyone else.
This guy is recognized as an expert witness by US courts handling firearm case litigation nationwide.
I would be VERY suspect of ANY US citizen who questions his position on almost any firearm related topic.

Mas A has an impeccable track record of ONLY using unbiased source materials and statistics. FBI / major LE agency studies and stats for example.

As for defining his critics and doubters.🤔
Figures don't lie, but liars can figure. His results as an expert in court cases prove this as an indisputable fact.
Those who dispute his positions are either unable to understand the stats/science, dillusional, have an alternative motive, or are just liars.
It's really as simple as that.

Anyone who thinks X# of rounds is enough is welcome to carry that amount.
It's called freedom of choice.👍

·
Super Moderator
2,381 Posts
Once again, the use case of carrying a handgun to finished off a wounded game animal and carrying a handgun for self-defense against humans is very different.

The calculus going into how many rounds are desired or needed for those two use cases is going to be different.

In the case of self-defense, most people will choose more rounds rather than fewer, all else being equal.

This is because the parameters of the engagement cannot always be known ahead of time nor can the ability to stop an attacker or attackers with a certain round count be guaranteed.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Once again, the use case of carrying a handgun to finished off a wounded game animal and carrying a handgun for self-defense against humans is very different.

The calculus going into how many rounds are desired or needed for those two use cases is going to be different.

In the case of self-defense, most people will choose more rounds rather than fewer, all else being equal.

This is because the parameters of the engagement cannot always be known ahead of time nor can the ability to stop an attacker or attackers with a certain round count be guaranteed.
This applies to the perceptions of defensive shootings occuring at distances beyond 7 yds too.
Am I trapped/pinned down, or with family and/or friends in a situation where the shooter is 10, 20, 30 yards away?
You bet your ass I'm taking the shot.
Judged by 12 or carried by 6? No brainer.

This scenario shows the advantage of a striker fire handgun too.
When ranging every two weeks, I can draw my PPQ 45 (iron sights) and put the first round on an 8.5 x 11 paper @25 yds in around 2 seconds.

The good guy with a gun at the Texas church is a textbook example of a >7yd good shoot. Some anti-gunners will claim these don't exist.🙄

I always shoot my carry PPQ 45 at the end of each range session. It's yet to be anything but laser accurate regardless of what was shot earlier that day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gentlemen, I don't know whether to jump into his one or not :oops: ! Y'all seem to be getting pretty fired up. LOL!
Attached is, what I find to be, interesting reading. IMO, the article indirectly addresses what is being "discussed" here today, I.e. "How many do you need". I agree in carrying what you're comfortable with. I also agree with @Mig1 and @DeutschlandUberAlles regarding accuracy under stress in that accuracy is incontrovertibly negatively affected by stress. Given that, as MIg1 stated, if you never miss a shot then right on. You may not need as many rounds available as someone who on a calm, quiet day with no ripples in his pond hits 1 out of two at 7 yards... if they're lucky. Not slurring that fellow, just some folks are a better shot than others for whatever the reason. That's just the way it is. Better to know that before you get in a gunfight with limited ammunition at your disposal. Clint Eastwood summed that one up in Magnum Force when he said "a man's got to know his limitations." The article uses what I think can be qualified as empirical data with the point being per attacker, you statistically will need more than one shot to effectively neutralize the threat regardless of caliber. If Mig1's stats are accurate, and I have no reason to think otherwise or dispute them, then his math would also be correct. IMO, it's certainly better to be prepared by capacity or an extra magazine than to be left...wanting.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 99 Posts