Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was at my local range today and doing the Hellcat vs Sig 365 debate for a new EDC. I’m currently using my PPQ Tac and it is a bit big. The salesman said something about a new compact Walther to compete in this niche coming out. Anyone know anything about this? As a Walther fan I’d be lined up to try/buy. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I haven't heard anything about a new Walther subcompact but I would be surprised if they weren't working on one. Anyone truly in the know would be under an NDA. I'd rather see a PDP .45 myself.

·
Super Moderator
14,721 Posts
Just a minute now.....I'm thinkin' the salesman may know something we don't. Personally I think a 3.5 inch slim version of the PDP would be a good move, and of course, make it 'optics ready'. I'm not talkin' about a nutted PPQSC, but a scaled down PDP, much like the P99C, an exact duplicate of its parents, just a little shorter barrel, grip and a little skinner. I think something like that would fill a hole in their product line. Was the salesman right, or just full of poop???? Only time will tell.

I'm bettin' on the salesman.

I don't think a 45 is going to be in the cards though.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
A "stack and a half" PPS would be the real answer, if you wanted to sell a lot of them. A nice, thin, small overall footprint pistol in 9x19 with 10+ rounds in the mag.

Oh, and paddle mag release and an AS trigger please. (I know, that will never happen, but I can dream can't I ?)

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
95 Posts
Just a minute now.....I'm thinkin' the salesman may know something we don't. Personally I think a 3.5 inch slim version of the PDP would be a good move, and of course, make it 'optics ready'. I'm not talkin' about a nutted PPQSC, but a scaled down PDP, much like the P99C, an exact duplicate of its parents, just a little shorter barrel, grip and a little skinner. I think something like that would fill a hole in their product line. Was the salesman right, or just full of poop???? Only time will tell.

I'm bettin' on the salesman.
I think this is probably the likely outcome. There were rumors that Walther was going to release a new subcompact this year, then everyone was caught off guard with the PDP release. What gets me is that rumors often start from someone that knows something (look at all the apple rumors that leak out before they announce products, and they are very tight lipped as a company about future products). Plus with the rapidly growing subcompact market, Walther would be completely foolish not to come out with something to compete. I love my PPS, but it is a hair larger than other offerings in the segment and only has a single stack for mag options as well as not being optic ready (excepting the RMSc version). We still have a few months left in this year, so the PDP may not have been "misunderstood rumors" and there may very well still be another smaller pistol planned.

Add to that the fact that some PPS options are disappearing from the market (including the RMSc option I mentioned) along with options like the PPQ SC and it looks more and more like Walther may be gearing up for a new compact/subcompact release. My guess is that they are already manufacturing a new pistol so that they can get a ton of them to market immediately after a product announcement - much like they did with the PDP.

I've also seen comments that Walther plans to make compact/subcompact pistols in Arkansas once they get that factory running (and it may very well be running already) because of issues with importing smaller pistols from overseas.

If they do release a new compact/subcompact soon, then I'll buy one immediately. Of course all this could just be my wishful thinking...

Reactions: ewigeSchlangenkraft

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the opportunity (finally) look at the new PDP compact up close. It is a really nice pistol but "compact" it ain't.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
95 Posts
I had the opportunity (finally) look at the new PDP compact up close. It is a really nice pistol but "compact" it ain't.
It's "compact" like the G19/G23 is the compact version of the G17/G22.

Reactions: mpgus

·
Super Moderator
14,721 Posts
Walther increased the capacity of the PDP from 15 to 18. They simply lengthened the grip 3/8" or so to accept the 18 round magazine and christened the new pistol as 'PDP Full Size'. That left em' with a delima.....what to call the PDP's with the 15 round magazine and grip, which happens to be the exact size as a PPQ. Ahh Haaaa, we'll call it a 'PDP Compact'. There ya go.....that's it. The PDP Full Size and Compact are the same size, with the exception of the grip length.

The PDP Compact is not really a 'Compact'. We'll have to wait and see if Walther releases a PDP Sub Compact, and whether its really a sub compact or maybe just a compact.

Only RJF75's hair dresser knows for sure.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If the slide of a notional PDP "Sub Compact" has the same avoirdupois as the regular PDPs it will be a complete non starter. For it to work it would need the slide profile of the P99.
The PDP is just too porky on top.

Reactions: RetropM

·
Registered
55 Posts
A compact pistol is still a compact. Too many people think a P365 is a "compact" or "sub-compact" when in reality, it is neither. The Glock 19/23/32, Walther PPQ, HK P2000, etc. are compact pistols. The Glock 26/27/33, Walther P99sc/PPQsc, and HK SK series of pistols are sub-compacts. The P365 and hellcat are micro-compacts. I agree with people who say that a PDP sub-compact would be a poor choice given the slide thickness over the PPQ.

Word on the street is that HK is announcing a new micro compact by the end of the year and another major company is doing the same. Perhaps it is Walther?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
They are all guns. Just different sizes and capacities no matter what you call them. Hopefully Walther will have a new option soon that interests me.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
To be honest, I think Walther, being this late to the micro compact doublestack/staggered stack/stack and a half game, will need to do something to differentiate themselves.

I'm hoping for something cool.

With NRA show cancelled again this year, I would hazard a guess that we COULD start to see some media drops this weekend. Or maybe they'll punt and hope SHOT Show happens.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To be honest, I think Walther, being this late to the micro compact doublestack/staggered stack/stack and a half game, will need to do something to differentiate themselves.

I'm hoping for something cool.

With NRA show cancelled again this year, I would hazard a guess that we COULD start to see some media drops this weekend. Or maybe they'll punt and hope SHOT Show happens.
They could do a social media reveal or they could do what HK is planning and host their own event for the reveal.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A compact pistol is still a compact. Too many people think a P365 is a "compact" or "sub-compact" when in reality, it is neither. The Glock 19/23/32, Walther PPQ, HK P2000, etc. are compact pistols. The Glock 26/27/33, Walther P99sc/PPQsc, and HK SK series of pistols are sub-compacts. The P365 and hellcat are micro-compacts. I agree with people who say that a PDP sub-compact would be a poor choice given the slide thickness over the PPQ.

Word on the street is that HK is announcing a new micro compact by the end of the year and another major company is doing the same. Perhaps it is Walther?
As a note, there isn't a P99sc, it's a P99c..

Infer from that what you'd like, and while I agree that the P99c is the size of a subcompact, it's not labeled that way...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi all. I was at my local range today and doing the Hellcat vs Sig 365 debate for a new EDC. I’m currently using my PPQ Tac and it is a bit big. The salesman said something about a new compact Walther to compete in this niche coming out. Anyone know anything about this? As a Walther fan I’d be lined up to try/buy. Thanks for any info.
I have the Hellcat OSP and love it as my small carry gun. But my favorite is my PPQ M2 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
A "stack and a half" PPS would be the real answer, if you wanted to sell a lot of them. A nice, thin, small overall footprint pistol in 9x19 with 10+ rounds in the mag.

Oh, and paddle mag release and an AS trigger please. (I know, that will never happen, but I can dream can't I ?)
YEP! Load that new stack and a half PPS replacement with the Performance Duty Trigger, and call it the PDS Premium Defense Slim. The ultimate PDP line carry pistol. :) I'm gonna buy this thing as soon as its ready for pre-order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went to my LGS to try a 365 and left with a VP9sk. The Sig felt like a toy. My PPQ 45 is my favorite pistol though.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts