Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my PPQ .22, one thing I really liked were the sights. The black rear and red fiber optic front worked very well for me. I liked them much better than my PPQ 9mm white dots sights, the dots are distracting to me and the width of the rear notch seems way too wide for precise aiming. Might be good for close-up, down and dirty quick acquisition but mine spend most of their time on the range or shooting service pistol matches.

Closest aftermarket sights seemed to be the Trijicon Fiber sights. Kind of steep for fixed sights but Amazon ran a sale on them so I ordered a set along with a Wiha 3/16 driver to install the front.

Getting the old sights off was not much problem after I tried a bunch of Allen keys to find one to fit the factory front. Even with the screw out, front refused to budge and I finally had to grip it with pliers to get it out. Being plastic, its unusable now. The rear was no problem, depress the plunger and it almost falls out of the dovetail.

The steel Trijicon rear is actually a tighter fit in the dovetail than the factory sight but it still slides in with finger pressure. I did have a near catastrophe installing the new rear. As I slid in the new sight, my other hand slipped and the plunger shot straight up in the air. Luckily, it landed on the table right in front of me. If it had arced over to the dark carpet, I would have beed screwed.

The front elicited constant profanity to get it in. No problem with the sight but the Wiha tool had a socket so deep the screw threads were swallowed up and many attempts were needed to get the threads engaged.

Overall, well worth the trouble and expense. Sight picture very clean now and the new rear notch is a much better fit to the new front width so I think much more precision will be possible. Won't get a range session with the new set up till next week but I do feel positive about anticipated improvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I got my PPQ .22, one thing I really liked were the sights. The black rear and red fiber optic front worked very well for me. I liked them much better than my PPQ 9mm white dots sights, the dots are distracting to me and the width of the rear notch seems way too wide for precise aiming. Might be good for close-up, down and dirty quick acquisition but mine spend most of their time on the range or shooting service pistol matches.

Closest aftermarket sights seemed to be the Trijicon Fiber sights. Kind of steep for fixed sights but Amazon ran a sale on them so I ordered a set along with a Wiha 3/16 driver to install the front.

Getting the old sights off was not much problem after I tried a bunch of Allen keys to find one to fit the factory front. Even with the screw out, front refused to budge and I finally had to grip it with pliers to get it out. Being plastic, its unusable now. The rear was no problem, depress the plunger and it almost falls out of the dovetail.

The steel Trijicon rear is actually a tighter fit in the dovetail than the factory sight but it still slides in with finger pressure. I did have a near catastrophe installing the new rear. As I slid in the new sight, my other hand slipped and the plunger shot straight up in the air. Luckily, it landed on the table right in front of me. If it had arced over to the dark carpet, I would have beed screwed.

The front elicited constant profanity to get it in. No problem with the sight but the Wiha tool had a socket so deep the screw threads were swallowed up and many attempts were needed to get the threads engaged.

Overall, well worth the trouble and expense. Sight picture very clean now and the new rear notch is a much better fit to the new front width so I think much more precision will be possible. Won't get a range session with the new set up till next week but I do feel positive about anticipated improvement.

Very nice. I want those exact same sights on my PPQ SC. I’ve heard the PPS sights fit the SC. I’ve never done sights. Do I need any other tools other than what you had?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the Trijicon website for models and fit, I know they suggest using PPX sights for some models.

Only tools needed are a 3/16 nut driver that will fit the opening in the slide. I originally got a Wiha, nice tool but almost impossible to get the new screw in. Bought a cheap one from Hi-Viz that works better. The socket on the Wiha is too deep so the screw falls below the threads or gets sideways. You need the small Allen key to remove the original front sight and you need a small flat screwdriver to hold the plunger down to remove and install the rear sight. No real difficulty to it if you have the right tools and be careful not to lose any parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the Trijicon website for models and fit, I know they suggest using PPX sights for some models.

Only tools needed are a 3/16 nut driver that will fit the opening in the slide. I originally got a Wiha, nice tool but almost impossible to get the new screw in. Bought a cheap one from Hi-Viz that works better. The socket on the Wiha is too deep so the screw falls below the threads or gets sideways. You need the small Allen key to remove the original front sight and you need a small flat screwdriver to hold the plunger down to remove and install the rear sight. No real difficulty to it if you have the right tools and be careful not to lose any parts.
Thanks so much. Have a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts