Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the First Show Sunday. I recall seeing the Movie also. I have been unable to find out what Year it is. all they say is it is over 6 Years since the Train started on it Journey. I did find out how Cold it is outside. They are using that lousy Celsius system. I got it converted on the Internet, and in the Proper Fahrenheit System we use, it is really -183.28 Degrees Fahrenheit. I am so tired of that Celsius, Metric system, and the Game Soccer. We are Americans we will never give up our Inches, Feet, Yards, and Miles. Remember the Whole World may use it, but the Whole World did not land on the Moon 6 Times, We did! Never be sorry, for being American!!! Paul

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on this but those rockets would not have gotten to the moon without the help of German scientists who used the metric system. Remember Wernher von Braun led NASA'S development of the Saturn V rocket that took Apollo 11 to the Moon.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Also....metrics put a finer edge on measurements while staying within the unit of measure. For example.....once below 1 inch imperial changes unit of measure to decimal or fraction while metric remains in mm.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True there was a Joint effort of many People and Companies to get us to the Moon. no one would not say so. I guess my original Point was no one show have Metrics forced on them. At least after my Email to Clyde Cussiler in his Dirk Pitt Books, He would use both Measurements in his Books. Why do you guys want to be Europeans so bad! Paul

·
Registered
188 Posts
Based on the movie, I'll skip the TV version. Wonder how you keep metal moving parts lubricated at -183 degrees?

I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft, or 3 meter, pole.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
Why do you guys want to be Europeans so bad! Paul
Why are you so USA-centric?
As this site is international why do you force your nation-centric measurements on the rest of us?
When I teach US dive students I use US measurement standards. When I have International students I easily convert to metric (including bars for pressure instead of psi).
It isn't difficult to do and the mental conversions help keep your mind agile. You should try it you may enjoy it. BTW take a look at your speedometer it has both mph and kph markings unless I miss my guess... :)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The TV version has some cool sets and of course Jennifer Connely. If only the premise wasn't so implausible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts