Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of shooting with my all-day glasses just putting the safety goggles over it (especially in training it was not very useful sometimes), I decided it's time for some shooting glasses with a correction clip on it. So I decided for tactical glasses from Swiss Eye including the clip, went to my optician with it and told her, okay, I have -7 and -6 diopters, now let's find a good solution.

She checked how I'm holding the gun, how I hold my head while aiming with one eye closed and with both eyes opened (other customers were quite taken by it...:D) and how it works with the sights. Must say, I really felt that she knew what she was talking about.
I should get it tomorrow with some luck, or early next week and I'm looking forward to get rid of the additional googles soon (never liked it).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I needed new glasses and sunglasses so I had my optician also set me up with a shooting glasses. Found a frame on sale and impact resistant lenses
so thats what I use at the range.

I can still remember the optician my family used when I was a teenager. They were big time trap and skeet shooters.

Dave Apker

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Been there and did this about 20 years ago, and went through several "Marks" before I got it more or less right.

The hardest part is to locate the perfect position for the bifocal portion of the master eye lens so that it's easy to "find" with your head held properly for shooting, and small enough so it doesn't blur too much of your vision ahead. I determined its ideal location by sticking a paper hole-punch reinforcement "donut" to an uncorrected lens and actually shooting while sighting through it. I kept moving the donut around until I found precisely the right spot, then took the glasses to my optometrist to have a 10mm diameter bifocal disc (the same diameter as my contact lens) spot-faced on a replacement glass lens exactly in the same place.

The practical difficulty is that you must always hold your head precisely the same, with the gun at the about same distance -- which is easier prescribed than accomplished. It works okay on a sedate range, but in outdoor, more vigorous movement I often have to roll my head around trying to "find" the bifocal disc.

And, I discovered, those "ideal" glasses are good only for a handgun. The disc will not be in the right place for a rifle or shotgun. If you try to go with a larger disc (my Mark I version had a 20mm applique on a polymer lens) it's too distracting--like wearing ordinary bifocals upside down.

M

·
Registered
479 Posts
I always buy fairly expensive super durable, forget the name of the material, everyday glasses that are progressive. I shoot with them as well - without goggles. Mine seem at least as good as "shooting glaSSES" i NORMALLY SEE IN STORES. Caps off, sorry!!

Is this wrong?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you mean you shoot with shooting glasses that are not corrected, but usually you have glasses? or how to understand?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have everyday glasses with a progressive lenses. You can see up close, medium and far away. They are, I think, poly-carbonite? but they seem to be the same as shooting glasses you would buy in stores. Does anyone else shoot with their everyday glasses (again out of this toughest material)?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, I understand.
yes, I do use progressive lenses for everyday use as well. I used to shoot with them, but I did not like it at all. my new shooting glasses are just made for shooting (as well as other sports like running...).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's outstanding how well it works with my new shooting glasses. It was a good thing to do, I wouldn't have imagined how much better I'll be able to shoot using them. Should have invested in those earlier.

SwissEye Stingray comes with 3 glasses (clear, orange brown) , plus correction clip.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts