Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I am a proud new Walther owner and new shooter. Although these might seem like very stupid questions, I need to ask. I am planning on taking a class in the near future, but would like to be a little more knowledgeable before I do.

1. When lining up 3-dot sights with the target, does the front sight dot go over the desired target or does the target sit on top of the front dot? Being a new shooter, I don't trust my accuracy to tell whether or not I am aiming the gun correctly.

2. I have searched quite a bit and have been unable to find a really helpful source that describes proper handgun grips. I know there are many accepted grips out there...can anyone recommend a good online resource that discusses this?

Thank you all for your help!

=D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well you have combat sight picture and bullseye sight picture. At most self-defense distances, front sight on target is normal. With bullseye shooting most would call for a 6:00 hold.

Here is some help....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-23-35/chap2.htm

If you pm me you email address I will send you a file compiled from one of our most experienced and knowledgeable forum members...has a lot of good stuff for new and advanced shooters....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im new to the walther as well. For some reason I was having better luck with just focusing on the front site and not worrying about lining all three dots up. Its this right or is it better to line up all three dots?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your sight picture will change slightly depending on what type of shooting you are doing as JakeStar has pointed out.

If your eyes are strong, you should be able to focus on the rear sight as well as the front sight [at the same time]. If your eyes are a bit weaker, the rear sight may blur, but the most important thing is to align the front sight post in between the rear sight notch. "Equal amounts of Light" must be showing on both sides of the front post sight. The white dot just allows you to pick up the front post a little quicker during combat drills. For most shooting you want the front sight sharp and clear in your eyes ......and the target will be slightly blurred. This concept is the hardest to grasp by a new shooter ......as he will automatically allow his eyes to "chase the target" . This is when the shooter allows his eyes to venture down range to focus on the target -- not good in most cases, but this method can change during point shooting or close combat drills. You have to learn to walk, before you run ........... so I teach new shooters the skills required for Target shooting first. Trying to focus on the target is the wrong method for target shooting .......... because that means the front sight will not be as clear as you need. Some very young eyes.............. are sometimes able to focus clearly on the front sight and also bring the target into realative focus. But this is rare.

The front sight post should be "even" across the top when placed inside the rear sight notch. This sight "alignmernt" is critical ........... and should be practiced until the shooter can address the target quickly with this perfect sight alignment.

Besides "Sight Alignment".............. GRIP is the next most important aspect of accurate shooting. I would urge that the grip you decide to use is one that can be used for a varity of handguns. Handgun specific grip ........ is not the best way to learn defensive combat drills. You should be skilled enough to grab any handgun and shoot as if you owned the gun all your life.

JF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, One more question. Does it matter what eye I am with Im right handed so I feel more comfortable with my gun in my right hand but it is much easier for me to focus with my left eye, I also have a hard time keeping my left eye shut and my right open if that makes sense. Whats the best thing to do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think it's physically possible to focus on both the front and rear sight simultaneously.

Yep. Two eyes, one focal point, and yours should be on your front sight. The target will blur. If you focus on the target, technically you are point shooting (still effective).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ideally you want to shoot with both eyes open, at least for defensive shooting. I can't comment on bullseye shooting, my eyes are crap.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Thanks for the info, One more question. Does it matter what eye I am with Im right handed so I feel more comfortable with my gun in my right hand but it is much easier for me to focus with my left eye, I also have a hard time keeping my left eye shut and my right open if that makes sense. Whats the best thing to do?
sounds like you are cross dominant......
I am not good in writing up things like this.... but I am cross dominant too and I focus on the front sight with my left eye and shoot right handed....
I get into a weaver stance and my head turns a bit more to the right than for the normal shooter so I can align my left eye with the sights and target.... hope that helps... and maybe sniper350 got some more useful tips on this or can explain it better than me

·
Registered
118 Posts
These discussions have always been interesting for me to read. I am a long ago experienced senior who recently renewed the "shooting" bug and aquired a few nice handguns.

Well, let me explain something to the "front sight focus" advocates: I have tri-focal eye glasses. When the front sight is in focus, my head is tilted upward and details of the world are not readily discernable. (And, if it were raining, I would probably drown by getting all that water in my mouth.) Yes, I could get special lenses for shooting, but wouldn't that be a hoot when I had to defend myself. "Woops !! Hold on-----I have to change glasses."

OK. What I feel I have to do is "point aim" while looking at the target and concentrating on the sight configuration (where are the dots). This is not easy, but it is becoming effective for me with concentration and practice. This is quite a challenge and I do enjoy the practice. However--------

-------The solution to my eye focus--real world situation, has been the use of lasers. Makes sense, doesn't it ? Focus on the target---there is the "dot".

Maybe I'm approaching this with a warped method, but it is working very well for me.

I am very open and eager to receive comments/suggestions/critiques/etc. with respect to my post. But do consider that playing with an old man's mind can be quite destructive to the old man.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Dave
I think whatever works for you..... two things come to mind here
"fight like you practice and practice like you fight"
"smooth is fast"

that said.... the only thing I can think of making it easier is "big dot" front sights for your carry rig... but since I never tried them it is just a idea :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
All sights are blurry to me whether I'm concentrating on the front sight or not. When I visit the opthomalogist in January I'm going to ask her to write a prescription for a pair of shooting glasses. I don't know how its going to work out but I think my view will be better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
First??.. let me address the tri-focal issue or shooting with glasses in general.

If you have ever watched Pro or Semi-Pro Matches for Bulls Eye shooting???you would not be surprised to see a bunch of weird devices being worn by the shooters to gain a better sight picture. Like has been pointed out here ????shooters needing to wear prescription Glasses have to work much harder getting into a proper position to get that critical focus on the front sight. Of course, in the world of competition shooting this presents no real problem but in the real world of self defense shooting - problems like these can be devastating or fatal. So what is the solution for these sight picture problems in self-defense situations. Being taught a GOOD close combat technique is paramount.
The method I teach allows the shooter to address his attacker from 10 to 13 feet away ? about half the distance of an average size room in an average sized House. At this distance, the shooter never brings the weapon above his waist band and shoots from a platform I call the shooter?s Triangle. The Pistol is held tight into the body, making it harder for an attacker to kick or grab. The response from this position [ from the shooter ] is what I call Over-Whelming force ? a burst of 6 rounds at a pace of under 2 seconds. All rounds must hit within an 11 ?? circle on a silhouette Target. To graduate - the student must perform this task 4 times during a General shooting Test {of 120 rds. total } and ALL rounds {24} must strike inside the circle, NO misses are allowed. It might surprise you to know that some students hold a tighter group during this skill set, than when they attempt to use Sights.
One student can hold a group you can cover with your hand using his Kimber 45 Acp, but when allowed to use his sights his group opens up from his pushing on the pistol.

Second , Cross eye dominance - I shoot this way and was never taught to try and switch shooting hands. Many Instructors will test for this defect and advise ?new? shooters to learn to use the weak hand that corresponds to their dominant Eye. I don?t really try to change the world if I can avoid it because as soon as you add Extreme stress to the mix the shooter may attempt to revert back to his strong hand and get confused, causing him to hesitate which may lead to his death. So what I teach are several methods of tilting the head & Pistol to bring the dominant Eye to bear over the Front Sight. This type of shooting is not that prevalent in self defense shooting anyways????.. because you are either firing from the waist band OR point shooting out to 30 feet [ using your front sight or tip of the barrel as a reference ] to hit your target.

These P-99?s are perfect Combat pistols ???.so please treat them that way?and not as if you are holding some kind of target pistol.

JF.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sniper,

Golly-Gee, I think you understand my situation. My world is experienced through a series of "head tilts"-----lens #1, lens #2, and lens #3. My neck is the most exercised part of my body. (No comments, please.)

What is your opinion of the laser helping me to focus and aim? My practice time at the range has better results with laser-equiped weapons (P239--P99AS). My "natural" focus is with the distance lens and that always includes the laser dot. I have concluded that my carry weapons will have lasers (except for the P7PSP). Please correct or adjust me if I an in error.

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
uncut,

Just maybe, we think alike. I am trying to compensate a bit for age and the decline in reflexes and muscle control (Damn!!! That sounds bad !!) while still having preserved some ability to enjoy the past skills of youth. Should that require an aid of some sort, I am willing to compromise and use one.

Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dave:

I have nothing against Lasers ????? as long as your train like you would fight. If they make ?you? a better shooter, then I can?t argue with success. But I would not train with the Laser to the exclusion of learning a good close combat technique where Pistol sights [ of any kind ] are not used. I can tell you from experience ??. The engagement that will save your life one day [ God forbid it ever happens ] will most likely occur without you even getting the chance to bring the pistol sights to bear. So even though they help us make a nice one ragged hole in a paper target at the Range --- they frequently are not any help when the chips are down. So I never allow my students to fall in love with them [ Sights ] and choose to awaken their natural pointing talents and skills.

So it looks like your eye weakness will play hell with your Bulls Eye shooting [ when not having a Laser to rely on ] but it should make very little difference in your Close Combat Skills !

Good luck with your practice ????.

JF.

·
Registered
118 Posts
sniper/uncut,

What the laser does for me is to allow a "point aim" to be refined without worry about focus on sights. Now then, the sights are always part of the "picture" but they are never in focus. This may sound strange, but the improvement in my reaction and accuracy is rewarding. Maybe this "muscle memory" thing is real after all.

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Dave,

About five years ago I was on the transition from bi-focal to tri-focal glasses to fill the gap between distance and reading (mainly the computer screen). I opted for progressive lenses instead. This gives me continuous coverage from close to distance by tilting my head at whatever angle is indicated. After some getting used to it I swear by it. Even though my sight picture is still difficult to obtain in any case I am generally pleased with my glasses and my shooting is improving.

Sniper,

I need to learn more about your training methods. Giving a determined assailant time to move in while I bring my sights to bear never did make any sense to me.

Russell

·
Registered
333 Posts
Russell - Rather than hijack this thread ............... I will try and post a thread describing some of my Close Combat techniques.

In past posts I have already covered the "shooter's Triangle" ........but I will be glad to go over it again.

I agree about not having much time, if your CCW is needed for self defense.

Sights will rarely come into play.

JF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts