Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would go with what is on the website....
the catalog I think is 2006 ........ and the website just has been updated withint he last month.....
since it does give you a SKU # on the website I would just have your dealer call and make sure it is available.....
good luck, and yes it is either SS or blue... I don't care for the dual tone finish :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with what is on the website....
the catalog I think is 2006 ........ and the website just has been updated withint he last month.....
since it does give you a SKU # on the website I would just have your dealer call and make sure it is available.....
good luck, and yes it is either SS or blue... I don't care for the dual tone finish :eek:
Thanks, I'll give the dealer a call today.

·
Registered
435 Posts
About 6 months ago the PPK/S in blue was not available. I opted instead for the PPK in blue. The two tone on the PPK/S does nothing for me. Just doesn't look right. To me, anyway. I'd be interested to hear if they are in fact offering a blue model now.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
All-blue Interarms Walther American PPK and PPK/S .380 pistols can still readily be found in excellent or near-new condition, at prices significantly less than a new S&W. Unless you just HAVE to have that ridiculously tumescent rear tang, there is absolutely nothing to commend the S&W version over the Interarms; the latter are made better, and look better-- even used.

I still can't believe those cheap-s**t markings S&W uses. Yes, roll-marking is expensive, but it's also a sign that the manufacturer CARED what the gun looks like.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Whoa, easy there, MGMike! Take a deep breath. I'm getting the feeling you really really hate the S&W Walthers! Just an impression... :)

I had an Interarms stainless PPK. Ate everything including hollow points with no troubles. This is the only pistol whose slide ever bit me however. Ended up not shooting it much and trading it away.

Six months later I get that empty feeling inside that can only mean I miss my PPK! I purchased a new blued S&W PPK. There was a cosmetic issue with the frame that S&W fixed with no problem. After that I've put about 250 flawless rounds through her. This pistol is very accurate and eats up the hollow points just as easily as the Interarms one. And that extended tang stops the slide bite that plagued me with the Interarms version.

I really like the new PPK. I think the S&W version has an undeserved bad rap. While Interarms PPKs are considered the standard now, back when I got mine I expected it to have a fifty pound trigger pull and jam every other round because that's what PPKs do. That Interarms one turned out to be an accurate reliable gun.

The S&W PPK is too.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If you got the impression that I am not a fan of ragged machining and cheap-s**t laser-marking, and slides that won't dismount, you'd be right. I've never been bitten by a German or Interarms PP-series pistol, or even by a TPH, and have lost track of how many cases of ammo I've put through them, so I'm not much impressed by a grip tang that looks like it has an erection at half-mast. It doesn't even LOOK like a classic Walther any more. Moreover, it tends to defeat the purpose of a pocket pistol--which is to be small, not have some elephantine protuberance at the rear. If it's going to be that big, why settle for a .380? Buy a .40 and be done with it.

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
P.S.

"There was a cosmetic issue with the frame that S&W fixed with no problem."

They let it go out the door with a cosmetic flaw in the frame serious enough to send it back for? Where was the inspector? WAS THERE an inspector?

M

·
Registered
8 Posts
maybe it's just me, but somehow a SW PPK or any other SW walther does not seem like a REAL walther.
Yeah, I know my interarms walther is not really a german PPK either, but at least it's not some mother company like Smith and Wesson. Not that I don't like some of their products, but it's not a true Walther either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
tumescent????

Once upon a time I attempted to read a book by William F. Buckley. I had to
give it up due to the unnecessary use of overly long and obscure words. I got
tired of grabbing the dictionary every 3 word.

I figured he used such wordage in a vain attempt to impress people. It didn't
impress me at all. In fact, to this day I won't read anything by him. I already
know how he writes.

Now, I we have someone in this forum using the word "tumescent."

I looked up "tumescent." It refers enlarged parts of living organisms.

I am led to conclude Mike doesn't like Smith & Wesson. He certainly can't
stand the S&W PPK/S-1. That's OK by me. Personally, I really do like the little guns, "tumescent" beaver tail and all.

Whatever turns your crank!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to not exacerbate the whole Interarms vs. S&W argument, but....

I had a chance to inspect a S&W made PPK/S in Stainless Steel. The top of the slide has a rough finish to it, not the smooth surface I remember seeing in other makes of the PPK. Makes it look more like a wrench, if you ask me.

Do they smooth this out for the blued version?

·
Registered
766 Posts
ragged machining and cheap-s**t laser-marking, and slides that won't dismount
To repress emotions is not healthy, MGMike. So why don't you tell us exactly how you feel about the S&Ws?:rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh yeah, my PPK disassembled just fine too. Guess I got the lemon: the one that is accurate, reliable and disassembles like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Personally I am glad when the new S&W/Walthers work the way they should. The PP series are such great guns they deserve to be made well and if they are there is no reason for them not to function properly.

I am very fortunate that when I embarked on my Walther expierence ALL available Walthers of any discription were actually made in Germany by Walther! Beautiful things they were/are like old Smith & Wesson revolvers they were masterfully made.

Sooner or later owners of the new S&W PPK will get a chance to shoot and handle the German version, and they will immediately notice the difference. Its mostly a matter of cosmetics - but after reliability that's half the equation.

·
Registered
766 Posts
ALL available Walthers of any discription were actually made in Germany
How old are you? Post-war, they were made in France by Manurhin until what? 1984? 1987? Somebody remind me, please.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
This table is for the PPK/S only.... the PPK/S was in the same serial rnage as the PPK

.22lr - mad only at Manhurin
Steelframe 1969 -1987
Duralframe 1969 -1982

.32ACP
Manhurin 1969 - 1984
Walther 1984 - 1989

.380ACP
Manhurin 1968 - 1985
Walther 1985 - 1989

the Walther PP production (.32ACP) started in 1952 at Manhurin and also went till 1985 (1986 -1999 at Ulm)
PPK (.32ACP) started in 1954 till 1985 (1986 - 1999 Ulm)

I think you get he picture.... .380ACP started later '54/'55
all .22lr's (PPK, PP, PPK/s) were made at Manhurin ... PP and PPK production in .22lr started in '54........the PPK/S .22lr was made there till '87 were other production only lasted till '85

1 - 20 of 22 Posts