Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had my first malfunctions.... 2 stovepipes in 75 rounds. The ammo I used was Hornady 90 gr. XTP. When it did work, the empty's barely cleared the ejection port. I could actually see them out the corner of my eye--at times traveling only six inches or so from the ejection port and falling to the ground.

My pistol has roughly 200 rounds through it, and has been flawless so far on Golden Sabers and PMC ball (this is the only other ammo I've tried). I immediately loaded a mag with my Golden Sabers and it worked like a charm, flinging the empty casings 6 feet or more like it always does, that is, until I tried the Hornady.

While firing the Hornady, the pistol was clean and properly lubed and limp wristing was not a factor. Does this sound ammo related or do I need to tweak something on the gun? For what it's worth it's a brand new S&W PPK in blue, very nice stout springs.

To me this sounds like unpowered ammo is the culprit, but I wanted to get some other opinions first.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ammo problem is my guess. Some guns are picky about ammo. Looks like you got one of 'em. The problem may not be as apparent after the gun breaks in a little bit. Luckily it likes golden sabres, cause I hear those are pretty good.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have never shot Hornady's, but I have always felt (as in physically felt) that Golden Sabers and PMC (who also loads Gold Dots) are the hotter loads in .380.  Cor Bon is of course the hottest.  I think Cor Bon may still use the XTP bullet.  Your problem could be a combination of a stiff new recoil spring and something not quite right with the ejector.  So Stunks is probably right, shoot a few more 100 rds and the Hornadys may work better.  At least 200 rds and sometimes more is needed for breaking in a new pistol.  So keep blastin away

EDIT: I am in error, PMC does not load gold dots, Speer does. The Speer gold dots seem to be loaded on the hot side, I do not know about PMC.

·
Registered
821 Posts
yep, my PPK was noticably smoother after about 250 rounds. But, I haven't had an ammo related problem thus far anyways. Best of luck, safe shooting.

-stunks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...I went out today and tried an experiment. I loaded with Golden Saber and barely held onto the weapon...limp wristed it hardcore. It fired all Remington 102 gr. without a problem like this. Threw the empties so far I could not find them. Stout ammo is the answer. I swear by the Golden Saber .380 round....it's great. I will look no further for a carry round from here on out. No sense in wasting cash experimenting with any other round. I hear this one is pretty effective, plus reliability is the most important thing anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts