Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the new 2005 Walther America Catalog at http://www.waltheramerica.com/manuals/Walther_catalog.pdf
Go to the fourth page and look at picture 4...is that a new trigger safety for the QA, or is it for the DAO? It seems to be in some pictures, but not in others...so is it optional? haha have i missed something?

and by the way, walther america is clearly trying to phase out the AS trigger, because there isn't a single picture of it anywhere in the new catalog.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yep, looks like a trigger safety to me too... Also has the longer mag release in the photo.

Unfortunately, we learned about waltheramerica's poor decision a few months ago, buy an AS while you still can!

If you want a consistent trigger pull, may I recommend the excellent Springfield XD. Just bought one for my wife and am EXTREMELY impressed with this pistol. Points just like the P99 in my opinion, has a grip safety, and feels much better than a glock ever did! I would feel much better about carrying it around with one in the chamber with the extra safeties....

-stunks

·
Registered
328 Posts
What a waste, while the P99 points a whole lot better than most guns. The advantages are lost on a crummy QA trigger.

I love my 2003 AS. Thinking next week I maight get another AS (I know where 2004 models are).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ohhh holly.............. That is awful.  I bought the gun because I didnt want a freaking glock.  Great just great.  Can we complain? Should we petition them since we are the people buying the damn things? Hell I own 3 two are in AS format

·
Registered
539 Posts
That reminds me of a big advantage the P99 has over most other guns: it can be disassembled without pulling the trigger. No big deal for people who practice safe gun handling but a good feature nonetheless. I think it was the review of the Taurus 24/7 on American Rifleman and an XD review that reminded me of that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love my QA and don't even notice the trigger safety. It's not like the glock in that the trigger is split and has a small lever in between. The entire trigger is part of the safety, very unnoticable.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Take a look at the latest catalog. The new QA does have a two piece trigger. Also, my post above is incorrect. The XD does not require a trigger pull to disassemble according to Combat Handguns.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here, just so we can avoid the "it doesn't" syndrome, here's the picture from the catalog:

So, clearly, Walther is building the P99 with a split trigger safety like a Glock. The question is: Has anyone seen one yet? Hopefully it's an option and not a change that we'll be seeing in all P99s in the future.

Of course, as an AS guy, it doesn't really matter to me!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, I see. My brand new P99 QA doesn't have that, just a trigger safety that is actually the trigger itself (hard to explain). Mine also doesn't have that super long magazine release.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the trigger on the XD series must be pulled for disassembly. there is no other way to 'decock' the weapon. if you get to that point in disassembly and still have a round in the chamber, perhaps you have no business owning a handgun

frye

·
Registered
83 Posts
no problem, nocturnal.

i have a XD9 sub-compact that i CCW and absolutely love the 'cocked and locked' performance of the single action trigger without the manual safety to actuate. i would never carry a classic SA 'cocked and locked' (no flames, this is personal opinion
), but i have no qualms carrying my XD with one in the pipe.

i like a 'point and click interface' for defensive/carry pistols and springfield (actually the croatians who make them) gives me that safely in a crisp, light trigger pull that is consistent everytime.

the combination trigger/backstrap passive safety system used by the XD would make P99's even more appealing.

my other carry pistols are DA/SA, which i don't mind, but the XD SA system is a step above. i'm not a fan of the glock style system or the P99 QA system. the trigger pull is not heavy enough (in my opinion) without some other form of safety (preferably passive). AD's because something got lodged in my holster or 'grabbed the trigger' is not my idea of a good time

frye

·
Registered
821 Posts
Fryeg7's right.  You do have the pull the trigger to disassemble an XD.

BUT, you actually cannot disassemble it without first locking back the slide with the slide stop lever.  This nearly forces you to check and clear the chamber before disassembly.  When the slide is locked back, a groove cut into the front side of the slide lines up with the takedown lever, allowing it to rotate upwards to disassemble the gun.  Reminds me of a Sig.  You pull back on the slide then, dropping the slide stop lever, and ease the slide forward.  When the slide catches on the firing pin, you then pull the trigger and the slide comes off real easy.  

Good design in my book, unless, of course you forget to drop the magazine before disassembly!!!

As far as the trigger on an XD, it is classified as SA by the BATF.  However, it has a feel somewhere in between the glock and QA in crispness.  The pull is like a short DAO trigger, even though it is really a single action weapon.  On my XD, the pull is about 6.5 pounds and has a very nice break to it, without much overtravel that can affect accuracy.

-stunks

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (New to Walther @ July 24 2005,12:19)]Oh, I see.  My brand new P99 QA doesn't have that, just a trigger safety that is actually the trigger itself (hard to explain).  Mine also doesn't have that super long magazine release.
Good call! I just looked at the catalog and the pictures that DTQ posted of his 2005 model. It looks like you get the split trigger safety when you get the extended mag release levers. None of the "standard" size release-equipped guns have the extra safety. Also, DTQ has the .40 S&W. Has anybody seen an extended magazine release lever on a 9mm model?

So....I wonder if the trigger safety is:
a) the "new" design for all future QA models
b) only for QA's chambered in .40 S&W

Where's Dr Lunde when you need him???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I should have been a bit clearer with my first post to this thread...

Yes, I see the photo and I see the trigger safety. However, my 2005 P99QA .40 does NOT have a split trigger. The extended mag release levers are there, though.

Prototype maybe? Or could it be an option for a certain market?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not a prototype...they are selling them here in the States. DTQ's P99 in .40 has both the extended mag release and the split trigger. But clearly, not all .40 models have it.

Curiouser and curiouser....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i may be wrong...but i think i read somewhere that the split trigger safety is mainly for the DAO trigger...as if the DAO trigger wasn't safe enough with a 12 lb trigger!... i think it's for added safety for police departments that require double action only...i don't think its for the QA at all...but again i might be wrong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts