Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking prices on a Q5 SF on Gallery of Guns and happened to see some additional model numbers listed that aren't on Waltherarms.com. The new numbers were all listed as out of stock with "Product Image Coming Soon." in lieu of a photo.

The descriptions seem to match the existing products (PPQ M2 Q5 Match SF (Steel Frame) Pro or PPQ M2 Q5 Match SF (Steel Frame)). They don't seem to be 10rd. models or anything either.

The new model numbers I saw are:

2846942 (SF)
2846951 (SF)
2844524 (SF Pro)

The other models listed match Waltherarms.com:

2830001 (SF)
2830418 (SF Pro)

Any thoughts? Are there revised models coming soon? I was getting ready to make a purchase but now I think I should figure out if there's something different coming down the line first!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm... pretty odd that the descriptions are basically the same. Could it be different colors or finishes? Only other thing I can think of is in the History of Walther documentary I believe the man from Walther talked about the possibility of milling off the beaver tail for some models or not milling the picatinny rail into the frame to have more weight on the muzzle end of the gun.

Edit: Reading the descriptions on the website it seems the new models are still black with picatinny rails. Also 2 of the 3 match the UPC of the existing models if that means anything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be interesting. I have heard of a few folks who find the beavertail uncomfortable especially after a lot of shooting. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to try one either way beyond holding a couple of them. I know my poly Q5 is just fine, but they are obviously not the same.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even notice that one! Nice to have choices, I guess. I also remember hearing how more steel framed choices were on the way, not just with a competition focus. I sort of wondered if there might be a Q5 SF "M1" with a paddle magazine release on the way.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Interestingly the new SF versions are all being shown to have 5" barrels.

Perhaps that data is incorrect but that is what is being shown.

·
Registered
602 Posts
There was a video from Panteo with Peter Dallhammer, the Product Manager of Walther Arms, that teased some possible SF variants:
Interesting video which I hadn't seen before - thanks for posting.

I can't help being a bit amused by the interviewer's speculation on a “duty” version of this pistol (video: 2:30 - “kinda duty guns and what not.....”). He says something similar in another video which I have seen since.

I ask myself, how many police officers would be happy to carry a pistol weighing 1160g (41oz) when there are perfectly serviceable (and proven) pistols on the market at a fraction of that weight, (as a reference point: the current Glock 19 weighs 610g/ 21.5oz)?

Apart from the weight, which police authority would be prepared to pay that kind of money for pistols - again, in view of the cost of current alternatives?

The original PPQ was never intended as a police pistol, as it would have failed on at least two counts in Walther's own home market. A steel-framed PPQ would fail on at least three counts (maximum weight: 900g). To the best of my knowledge, the Taiwan police were the only police authority to order the PPQ, and we don't know what, if any, modifications they insisted on.

To rectify this, Walther introduced a police-conform version of the PPQ in 2015 (P3/M3), mainly to compete for the Bavarian police contract. Unfortunately, the contract went to Heckler & Koch (January 2018). Just recently, the German state of Sachsen-Anhalt also contracted for new police pistols - but this contract went to a new design from Glock (September 2019). Sachsen-Anhalt have been tight-lipped about the identity of the other two contenders, but it seems (to me) not unreasonable to speculate on H&K and Walther as being the most likely.

The PPQ, therefore, in both its original and police-conform versions, has not been a success as a police pistol, neither for rank-and-file police nor for the special units of police or military that it was designed for. Having said that, it would not surprise me if Walther were to introduce a version of the PPQ SF with the word “duty” in the model name, but this would be more likely to be a marketing ploy - aimed at civilians with a fascination for the term “duty”, rather than at police authorities. Of course, there would be nothing to stop individual police officers in some countries from purchasing the pistol for duty use, if their superiors approve.

Thus endeth the sermon, Brethren. May you go in peace, or, as my Italian friend would say: “You go an' peese!”.

Balor

·
Registered
602 Posts
Another possibility, came across the attached picture on the Carl Walther Germany Instagram page, it shows a trio of custom Q5 Match SFs with Expert triggers installed, but interestingly, it appears they do not have the optic plates and have (I assume) an adjustable target rear sight.

If they were to market SF versions in that form (i.e. without optic-ready slides) that would mean a significant drop in price. Those four adapter plates are quite expensive to purchase individually.

The models depicted are actually Custom Shop models.

Balor

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not new - just a full-size view of one of the above Custom Shop models.

The price they are asking for this would make your eyes water - and possibly necessitate a change of underwear.

Balor

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Not new - just a full-size view of one of the above Custom Shop models.

The price they are asking for this would make your eyes water - and possibly necessitate a change of underwear.

Balor
It does look nice though. I do hope they release some additional variations of the SF this coming year.

·
Registered
Walther PPQ M1
25 Posts
A 2-tone, custom shop Q SF "M1 (paddle mag release)" would be my "unicorn" gun. Walther, make it and take my money!:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts