Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
All well and good, beautiful handguns. However, I don't get the market.

I get the heavier gun to compete in the USPSA Production game against the CZ Shadow 2. And since it's lighter than the Shadow 2, I guess it can play in IDPA SSP and CO which the Shadow 2 can't. BUT for IDPA/USPSA Production/CO/Limited, If I'm going to do that, I might as well get the longer barrel/sight radius of the Q5-SF right? In competition, the Q4-SF offers no advantage over the Q5-SF.

I don't see a market for EDC, it's too dang heavy. Toting a 40+ oz gun all day is not attractive to me. The lighter the better. :p

Change my mind ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those are very nice and I would like to feel the special trigger. With respect to weight, there's always a trade off. You cannot have the best of both worlds; it's a matter of physics.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

I get the heavier gun to compete in the USPSA Production game against the CZ Shadow 2. And since it's lighter than the Shadow 2, I guess it can play in IDPA SSP and CO which the Shadow 2 can't. BUT for IDPA/USPSA Production/CO/Limited, If I'm going to do that, I might as well get the longer barrel/sight radius of the Q5-SF right? In competition, the Q4-SF offers no advantage over the Q5-SF.

I don't see a market for EDC, it's too dang heavy. Toting a 40+ oz gun all day is not attractive to me. The lighter the better. :p

Change my mind ;)
No different than toting a 4006, 1911, or SIG-Sauer P220. I'm used to the weight so that has no bearing on my buying or carrying decisions.

Some of us tire of Walther's polymer. I'm very excited that they may finally be returning to their roots with steel and/or alloy framed duty pistols.

I'll be in line for one of these as soon as I find out who has them in stock.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts

Change my mind ;)
I agree with you mostly. I guess the market is for folks who want something different.

The market is awash with polymer 9MMS. There are a lot of them and most of them are pretty good.

This represents something different. Something a little classier and something a little different in the marketplace.

I applaud Walther for taking this step. I hope it's a success for them.

I will buy one. I don't strictly need one but like many of us, I surpassed need a long time ago with this hobby.

It would be expensive but I hope Walther at some puts out a traditionally blued version with walnut grips. Old school. Not as practical but very pretty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ll be eyeballing on them... I’m hoping there will be a model with paddle. Looks sexy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I must say a Walther fan since 1971 When i got my first PPK while in the Marines.And this is another step they are taking to give some shooters and collectors what they might want.

Be it a P-38 from WW2 to the modern day PPK in all stainless.
I must say it looks business like and very efficient. To how it plays out in 2020 and beyond we will see.RON K.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Shot a Q4 SF yesterday

I went to a pre-Shot Show event yesterday at Pro-Gun Club in Boulder, NV. Headed right to the Walther booth, and there they were, the new Q4 in optic plate and iron sight configurations.

I have shot Walthers for a number of years, being attracted to their paddle magazine releases and their triggers. I was fine with poly until someone talked me into trying the Q5 steel frame. I have been shooting it for a few months now and am really spoiled.

When I picked up the Q4 SF, it had all the ergonomics and balance of the Q5 SF. They somehow have the weight distribution well thought out like the Q5 because it seemed as though I was shooting the 5". Maybe eliminating those lightening cuts did it. The recoil and muzzle flip seemed minimal, the dot staying in the Vortex Venom window and coming right back on target. Thank you TPC!

Same grip as the 5". The grip is really nice, but just a little to big for me. On my 5" I went with LOK thin grips and clearanced them for my thumb to hit the mag release without having to change my grip. I will do the same for the 4".

The 4" has what they call a "duty-optimized" beaver tail. It gives a higher purchase for better recoil control over a poly. And because it is shorter, I think it will carry better in a holster or for CCW than the 5". It is more rounded than a poly, so it fits the web of my hand better.

So, the Q4 SF in not available yet, but I'll be buying one as soon as they are available. I'm going with the skinny adaptor plate with the Shield RMSc instead of milling my own, like I usually do. I'm thinking of using the Q4 for competition and carry. Looks like it would be fine for both.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Walther and have never received anything of value from Walther. They just work for me. :D

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I went to a pre-Shot Show event yesterday at Pro-Gun Club in Boulder, NV. Headed right to the Walther booth, and there they were, the new Q4 in optic plate and iron sight configurations.

I have shot Walthers for a number of years, being attracted to their paddle magazine releases and their triggers. I was fine with poly until someone talked me into trying the Q5 steel frame. I have been shooting it for a few months now and am really spoiled.

When I picked up the Q4 SF, it had all the ergonomics and balance of the Q5 SF. They somehow have the weight distribution well thought out like the Q5 because it seemed as though I was shooting the 5". Maybe eliminating those lightening cuts did it. The recoil and muzzle flip seemed minimal, the dot staying in the Vortex Venom window and coming right back on target. Thank you TPC!

Same grip as the 5". The grip is really nice, but just a little to big for me. On my 5" I went with LOK thin grips and clearanced them for my thumb to hit the mag release without having to change my grip. I will do the same for the 4".

The 4" has what they call a "duty-optimized" beaver tail. It gives a higher purchase for better recoil control over a poly. And because it is shorter, I think it will carry better in a holster or for CCW than the 5". It is more rounded than a poly, so it fits the web of my hand better.

So, the Q4 SF in not available yet, but I'll be buying one as soon as they are available. I'm going with the skinny adaptor plate with the Shield RMSc instead of milling my own, like I usually do. I'm thinking of using the Q4 for competition and carry. Looks like it would be fine for both.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Walther and have never received anything of value from Walther. They just work for me. :D
Good report Bart. Thanks for that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts