Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just got my PPS in .40 in January, and fired it for the first time (finally!) yesterday. Put about 100 rounds through it, and only one issue: one bullet failed to fire (but I blame the bullet, not the weapon). I was shooting Remington 180gr FMJ. I'd heard from some that the .40 was too "snappy," but it's my preferred cartridge (my other pistol being a Glock 22). To me, the PPS in .40 was an absolute dream, didn't feel too much recoil, was able to get back on target pretty quickly, and was shooting quite accurately (for me) out of the box.

Long story short, count me a happy and very proud new PPS owner.

I've read on here about the slide lock issue on PPS .40s. My date stamp is AK, and the test bullet was 9/11/09. In comparing the pictures online of the "old style" and "new style" slide lock with mine, mine appears to be the "old style." Is this something I can take care of preemptively, or do I need to wait until an issue arises before I can send it back to S&W for repair/replacement?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure Paxtian but I figure why fix it if it aint broke? I was wondering the same thing though I just bought a First Edition PPS 9mm and I put 50 PMC bronze through it with absolutely no issues other then I shot the bullseye out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday. Had to leave town today and didn't have any time to shoot it yet, but I am really taken back with the quality and finish. I was second guessing whether I should have gotten a Shield, but now I remember why I liked the PPS a little better. Of course they are both great.

I think what I am most happy about is the mag release. I have a Glock 19, which I love, and wondered if could adapt. Not only could adapt...it is so much easier. I can even do it one handed....easily. Just use my middle finger, and my pinky holds the magazine as well so it doesn't drop all the way out. All with one hand. Now I want a full size of compact with the same, but I guess they aren't offering in the new PPQ. I guess I need to shoot if first too:)

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Check out Earl's site...I *think* he may be offering the PPQ Classic (paddle mag release vs. the M1's button aka sell-out style) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only could adapt...it is so much easier. I can even do it one handed....easily. Just use my middle finger, and my pinky holds the magazine as well so it doesn't drop all the way out.
I've been using my middle finger for the mag release too! I find that quite natural and much more comfortable and accessible than the conventional mag release on the left side of the grip. I haven't tried using my pinky to catch the mag; I normally hold slightly tilted and let the mag drop into my left hand. Anyway, get out there and shoot the thing, you'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mine's an '08, and I have no issued. I also never use the slide stop to release the slide. Not a PPS habit, just a one size fits all tactic I like.

Want some fun? Try pushing the range you can shoot your PPS. I've been able to keep smaller than silhouette size groups at 50m. I started at 20m and just kept backing up. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just got my PPS in .40 in January, and fired it for the first time (finally!) yesterday. Put about 100 rounds through it, and only one issue: one bullet failed to fire (but I blame the bullet, not the weapon). I was shooting Remington 180gr FMJ. I'd heard from some that the .40 was too "snappy," but it's my preferred cartridge (my other pistol being a Glock 22). To me, the PPS in .40 was an absolute dream, didn't feel too much recoil, was able to get back on target pretty quickly, and was shooting quite accurately (for me) out of the box.

Long story short, count me a happy and very proud new PPS owner.

I've read on here about the slide lock issue on PPS .40s. My date stamp is AK, and the test bullet was 9/11/09. In comparing the pictures online of the "old style" and "new style" slide lock with mine, mine appears to be the "old style." Is this something I can take care of preemptively, or do I need to wait until an issue arises before I can send it back to S&W for repair/replacement?
Hey guys I just got my Walther PPS Check out my video on how to Field Strip your Walther PPS and more video to come.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts