Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just bought my second walther (first was a p-38) and had a question about the safety. First the particulars: its a crown over n model in the 845XXX range, it has a 90deg safety and its serial number is also at the front of the slide under the muzzle.

My question is i've read that the safety is supposed to drop the hammer when rotated to the safe position, mine doesn't. I detail stripped it, replace the springs and did not see anything obviously wrong. Is it possible that mine predates this feature.

FYI it came with two mags one with a finger extension, no serial and one number to the gun as well as some papers that indicates it was turned in to the americans in berlin and taken home by a GI.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It should fall when the safety is engaged. With out looking at it, I wouldn't be able to tell you what is wrong.

With the safety on, pull back the slide. Does the hammer stay cocked or does it fall?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
p88, thanks for your reply.

with the safety on if i pull the slide back and release the hammer does not drop. With the safety on, i can drop the hammer with the trigger, but of course the safety prevents it from contacting the FP. I took it to the range and it shoots very nice. I just can't figure this safety thing out. My understanding is that there is a cam on the safety lever that is supposed to drop the hammer but i don't see what it is suppossed to actuate, is it the trigger bar on the right side of the gun?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (curt @ Feb. 23 2004,7:45)]with the safety on if i pull the slide back and release the hammer does not drop.  With the safety on, i can drop the hammer with the trigger, but of course the safety prevents it from contacting the FP.
Curt,

Did you mean off in one of these statements?

Devin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. With the safety on (engaged) i can drop the hammer by pulling the trigger but the hammer is not allowed to contact the firing pin so no bang. And with the safety on (engaged) i can pull back the slide and release and the hammer does not drop.

by your reaction i'm guessing that the hammer should not drop with the safety engaged when i pull the trigger? I had just assumed it was something like my sig 228 where you drop the hammer with the decocker and not like a regular safety where you cannot drop the hammer with the safety engaged...so i guess i was wrong?

I'm thinking i got a broke safety.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Curt,

The hammer should drop as the safety is put on. You shouldn't have to pull the trigger after putting the safety on.

You might have a broken safety, although in some instances it sounds like an improvement. On yours you can carry with the hammer cocked with safety on, thus eliminating the double action trigger pull. However, I wouldn't always trust the safety on and pulling the trigger to decock. If you do this with a round in the chamber, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

If you lived near by, I'd offer to look at it for you to see if I could fix it.

Devin

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is a very interesting situation, which most likely can only be answered by inspection of the weapon by a qualified smith.

The safety on the Walther PPK should act as a decocker (like your Sig 228).

There is a possiblity that the weapon has been "converted" to a kind of single-action only system. The fact that the weapon in question has a serial number on the slide indicates that the Walther factory has seen this weapon returned (for repair or modification), prior to being "captured" by friendly forces. I wonder if this could have been some kind of factory modification  

Edited to add: The PPK decocker/safety should operate in exactly the same manner as the system on the P-38.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. Okay just like P38-check, don't trust safety when pulling the trigger-check.

I don't use this for carry so there's no rush. I think i'll try and figure out what the problem is myself. Thanks for the kind offer P88, i live in Northern VA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts