Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new Walther PPX 9mm SD jammed today. I fired the first 2 full magazines with no problems. On third magazine there was a double feed and slide was locked shut, but I managed to get it open. On the next mag, second round fired, but a new round was loaded on top of the old one, the slide was also locked closed.

Maybe a problem with extractor? The second failure the extractor either slipped off the casing or never hooked on in the first place? The spent round casing was stuck in the chamber.

Maybe it’s too tight and needs more break-in? I was Shooting WPA steel 9mm 115 grain, and did not have other ammunition with me.

Got home, cleaned thoroughly. I will try again in a day or two.

I do have to say the PPX was very accurate without touching the sights. 3” group at 20 yards. I love the trigger.

Any advice appreciated...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It's a good chance it's the ammo. There have been a few PPX owners that have reported issues shooting steel ammo with the PPX in this forum.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
It's possible that a round loaded ahead of the extractor. [Edit: This does not apply to the PPX - please see Posts #5 & 7].
Use 115 grain WWB or other quality ammo with enough power to fully cycle the slide and hold the grip firmly. Also, aways load from the mag...never load a round directly into the chamber through the ejection port.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ditto to the above. It's a pain to have problems early and that "lemon" starts to pop up in the back of your mind. Allow for a good break in with non-steel casings and keep that grip firm.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree with the ammo part. Both my PPX's have a a steady diet of decent ammo without a hiccup. Doesn't have to be high dollar ammo.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
That geometry makes no sense to me. A spent case was stuck in the chamber. The slide could not have closed sufficiently to fire it if the extractor were behind the rim.

M
Mike's right on the PPX. The hammer will drop with the slide out of battery but it hits the slide below the firing pin. It can't fire if the slide is held open by the extractor. Also the extractor simply snaps over the case rim rather than jamming the case mouth into the chamber. So it will either function normally or not fire if a round loads ahead of the extractor. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for the malfuntion, but if you used steel-cassed ammo, like Wolf or Tula, that's the cause of your problem. Steel-cases ammo has a long, sordid history the root cause of malcuncfion, but people infoe these caveats just to pich a few pennies.

Stop using steel-cased ammo. No, "If," "and", it "buts."

Stick to Known quality factory loads like Federal, Winchester, CCI, and Speer, that you can buy as cheaply as steel-cased or within 1-2 cents of it. Check WikiArms daily for spcial prices.

Cecck latest pricers on WikiArms and SlickGuns websites. .

Use a larger bullet than a 115gr. with a comparable amount of energy of kinetic energy - faster-smaller bullets ar comparable in kinetic energy to slower-larger bullets.

BUT, the best back for thr buck, IMHO, are still the Sellier & Bellot.

They are made in Czechslovakia how to the awesome CZ postors. It's only logical that the Czechs would make ammo as good as their guns.

I'm speakig specifically about 9mm - yout experiece with difdferent calibers may vary - but they ha propellants ttat are natually low in dust as well as having true toxic free rounds and ledless projectiles.

They have an American plant toproduce them here.

What's to like?

Cost: At 22 ceents/per round, there is little to no cost saving in steel-casing. territory.
Velocity: they fly ou of the barrel at 1250Ffps - this is standard pressure ammo, NO+ +p
Energy: Average kinentic mussle energy is 362 FPE for the 115gr bullet.

They come in an assortment of flavor fromn FMJ, JHP, FMDP, TMSP, etc.

They make very clean burning propellants, they are also led free , and even have totally lead free bullets. Thy offer an entire array of non-toxic ammo.

Palmoetto StateArmory oftens have their boxes of 50 for $10.99 per box (no limit).

Usually, When I break in a gun, I use a 124gr or 147 gr because the added weight and girth of the bullets helps to loosen up stiff mags.

Say, "Bye,Bye" to steel casings and to all the prolems they produce

·
Registered
42 Posts
i dont know why everyone is so against steel cased bullets... its all i use and never have i had an issue...

I will say tho that i use 147 gr bullets as a break in, and didnt start using steel cased bullets until i was round the 500 round mark....

but again, never had an issue with mine

I use:

Barnaul
9mm luger (9x19)
115 gr FMJ
non-corrosive lacquered steel case

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good News...Problem seems to be solved for now

A good cleaning must have done the trick ;)

That "good cleaning" included using a chamber brush; and all I can think of now is there may have been some kind of "factory grease" left over before first firing? Or it needed break in?

Today I used the same WPA ammo and 100 rounds later no issues.

Either way I'm very pleased now.

Thanks for all the suggestions...We'll see how the remaining supply of the Wolf ammo goes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Multiple Extractor Problems

I too just purchased the Walther PPX about 3 weeks ago - First time out was shooting combination of Steel and Brass casings - steel casing got stuck in chamber and would not extract - ended up with a screw driver behind shell to get it out - it was stuck rather tightly.

Went back second time and only used Brass this time - again same problem a shell casing got stuck. It's a bugger to get the slide back when the casing is stuck as the extractor pin is still firmly attached - after much effort slide came back locked it open and this time I was smart enough to bring a push bar to push the casing out from barrel end.

Third time went out - again shot Brass (now admittedly I had NOT Cleaned gun between second and third trip out) i must have had 8-12 jammed casings not releasing from barrel......

I've read this forum now given the gun a good clean and will update the group on if I have any further problems. At range I always use 115gr FMJ was shooting Remington White Box.

I would guess gun has about 1000 rounds through it now.

My S&W M&P9 has not had a single stuck casing since I bought it 3 years ago (no matter if steel or brass) - I love the Walther - accuracy and trigger pull is so much better but the fail to eject is worrying me.......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like you unfortunately purchased a bad one...machines are not infallible. Just like automobiles...I have over 1300 down range with my ppx 9 and never any problem...you should seriously contact walther

·
Registered
254 Posts
... people, stop using crap ammo. You can't use old salad oil in your car as well. A semi auto needs reasonably good and high factor ammo. There's a reason everything government is using hotly loaded quality ammo in sidearms.

My primary training partner's Gen3 G17 isn't even reliably ejecting S&B bulk 124grs (which my PPX does, btw) but demands the hotter (and slightly more expensive) Gecos.

I'm nearing 2,000 and never had any feeding or ejecting issue using brass only. S&B, Geco, Magtech.

·
Registered
254 Posts
These 9B?

MagTech :: View Product

Yea, Magtech is quality factory ammo. Shot only little apart from jacketed soft point flats of which I'm, currently using up a 1k brick, but none of their products ever gave me any trouble.

My subjective impression was that they're generally hotter than other brands (say Geco) but this chart says otherwise:

9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you unfortunately purchased a bad one...machines are not infallible. Just like automobiles...I have over 1300 down range with my ppx 9 and never any problem...you should seriously contact walther
Thanks for the feedback - I agree - I disregard the crap ammo comment by Skulls as it is problematic over all ammo used - I can see the potential with Steel but the Brass ammo used would not be considered crap.

Think I'll run it once more now it's all cleaned up - if continue to have problem I will contact Walther.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So the casing remains stuck in the chamber and isn't extracted at all?

Is there anything visibly wrong with the chamber or the extractor, is there visible damage?
Is the extractor clean?
Are the casings you have to pry out of there in any way expanded?
Are the three parts of the barrel assembled as they should be (google pic for comparison)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts