Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agonized for months leading up to my summer carry purchase. I was debating between the Shield, XDS, and the PPS and the latter finally won because a guy gave me a very fair price.

I have two issues that I didn't notice when I initially inspected the gun.

1) The striker status indicator is NOT red, it's black. In fact, it has a little hole in the end that maybe a red piece once occupied? If it's supposed to have something red inside, is it plastic or something? It looks like maybe something was there and it fell out. Here's a pic:

2) The backstrap has a good bit of flex. I didn't notice it when I handled the gun in front of the seller, but it definitely got my attention when I got home. When I hold this gun, it feels like a quality handgun; it's very authoritative. When I squeeze the grip and feel the backstrap flex, it feels cheap. Do they all flex like this and I just have to get used to it? If not, can I order another one? I remember hearing the theyankeemarshall remark that his FNX had the same problem so he sold it.

Other than that, I really am pleased.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can get new backstraps from Walther, not sure about the striker indicator. You can also get a rubber grip sleeve etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
The backstrap is not suppose to flex. Before calling Walther, swap it out with the second backstrap that came with the PPS and see if the flex goes away. That way you will know if the problem is with the backstrap or the pistol's polymer frame.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The backstrap is not suppose to flex. Before calling Walther, swap it out with the second backstrap that came with the PPS and see if the flex goes away. That way you will know if the problem is with the backstrap or the pistol's polymer frame.
The smaller plate flexes SLIGHTLY less. Are you sure you have no flex at all; as if it felt like it didn't have interchangeable backstraps? I bought this used and it's over a year old, so I have no warranty.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The smaller plate flexes SLIGHTLY less. Are you sure you have no flex at all; as if it felt like it didn't have interchangeable backstraps? I bought this used and it's over a year old, so I have no warranty.
That would explain why the striker indicator is no longer red. The paint was probably taken off with solvent.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I've had to touch mine up a few times as well, seems Hoppes runs it down like a Freightliner to a puppy on the interstate. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
sheep, I am seriously considering a pps, would you please post the approx. date of manufacture and what factory?

·
Registered
239 Posts
maybe the previous owner broke one of the tabs on the back strap check the other one, use a tooth pick and a small drop of paint on the striker indicator.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sheep, I am seriously considering a pps, would you please post the approx. date of manufacture and what factory?
Yeah, it was produced in 2012 and purchased by the original owner in 2013, so I'm assuming late 2012. It's made in Germany, obviously, and it was proofed at the Ulm proof house, but I don't know how to tell what factory it was made in. Do they manufacture and proof under the same roof?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts