Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Im sure these topics may be covered in other posts but i just want to have some info in 1 place so I can reference it quickly. I am buying a PPS M2 from a coworkers son some point this week. Im very excited as it is my first gun. I know about guns and have shot many guns but never owned my own. What is some helpful information about owning this gun? I see lots of postives about it on YouTube videos but would like some owners insight. Also what kind of ammo would be best for range time?
TIA Rick

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is a very good universal/compromise handgun. Mine has not malfunctioned in around 1000 rounds. I've shot 115, 124 and 147 grain FMJ and HP. My preference is 124 grain. It's small enough to conceal well and large enough to be range fun. If it was a few ounces lighter it wouldn't break my heart. It could use a little more aftermarket options, but it has enough holster, spring and sight options to work...if that's your thing. All I've done to mine was add traction grips and made rear sight blacked out. In my case, I tend to ride the slide release with my thumb so it doesn't always lock open. That's me and not the pistol. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the videos i saw online the guy had a problem with his thumb preventing it from locking it open\empty. Dont think that will be a huge problem for me. Thank you for the input. My son and I are really looking forward to hitting the range with it very soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use quality factory brass ammo. Get a good quality IWB holster! I highly suggest Lenwood Spector with full sweat shield. Keep clean and properly lubricated. I use Slip 2000 as a lubricant and highly recommend it. I put a set of Trijicon HD night sights on as well. Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
It's a very fine gun. I've had mine right at four years and have had no problems after firing hundreds of rounds. I've shot mostly factory 115 gr ammo and 147 gr hollow points. HSTs are my preferred carry rounds. My PPS M2 has mostly been a warm weather summer gun but that may be changing. It's locked up right now but I may break it out sooner than normal for carry.

Enjoy yours!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I have owned and shot many handguns in the past 5 decades. Having carried a M1911 on 2 tours in Nam my first civilian purchase was a Colt 45 ACP e 9mm Government Model. In 1985 when the military went to the 9mm Beretta I did too. It was after that I devised to get a CCW permit, and then I adopted a smaller 9mm. I have owned compact 9mms of the following brands: S&W, M&P, Beretta, Ruger, Remington, Taurus, and subcompacts from Taurus, Ruger, and now Walther. For my purpose of self defense I found the PPS M2 to be the best pistol I have ever owned. I have no desire to own or even try any other gun.

I have had the PPS M2 for a year now, and I have put about 1,000 rounds through it at the range. I only use good ammo, and I avoid the “while box” stuff. I have never experiences a failure to feed, fire, eject with the gun. I do clean it after I shoot it (Marine Corps training in action.) My life could depend on the gun so I treat it kindly.

I broke the gun in with Winchester 147 grain Train and Defend ammo. It is FMJ and JHP that have the same ballistic characteristics. I no longer use it because I have the feel of the gun now and only go to the range to keep skills sharp. I now carry Underwood Extreme Defender, monolithic brass flutes ammo that relies on fluid transfer to create wound channel. For me it is the best SD ammo in 9mm.

I have added a Crimson Trace green laser to the gun. It is an ideal sighting solution for old eyes especially in dim light. I have found the PPS M2 to be very accurate if handled properly. Shooting technique id everything in self defense. Once calibrated the laser dot is where the bullet hits if you do not jerk the trigger, and I do not.

I carry the PPS M2 in either a Blade Tech IWB holster or a PJ Holster OWB holster. Both accommodate the last and very concealable. I use only 7 round magazines, as I find they offer me the best grip for my hands, and proper grip is a real factor in shooting skill.

Having fought with a M1911 (7 rounds) I am not concerned by the 7 round PPS M2 capacity. In the CorpsI did learn to swap out magazines fast. It is worth developing that skill of you are going to carry for self defense. It is easy to learn because you do not have to go the range to practice.

In true Walther tradition the PPS M2 was designed to be personal defense gun and nothing more. It is not a target shooting gun, but it is quite accurate if handled properly and practiced with.

I can summarize how I feel about the PPS M2 this way. It is the last gun I will own. I could goon to explain why, but that would be thread drift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My advice is figure out which size mag suits you best and pick up a couple of extras along with plenty of ammo to practice with. I buy mostly 124 grain ball. I Can usually find blazer brass or s&b pretty cheap. I carry with a Vedder Light Tuck. Congrats on your first gun. You picked a great one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone for the advice. I am very much looking forward to learning as much as I can about this gun and how to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Purchased one within the last month and love the gun. Not many rounds through it so take my view as limited. I experienced no firing issues, found the gun to be accurate, using the 7 round magazine with the pinky extension makes this the best fitting and easiest purchase for drawing carry gun I own. I also ride the slide with my thumb but had only a couple fail to locks. I have installed TFX Pro Orange Day/Night sights which I use on all of my pistols. I think I have finally found MY perfect carry gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a M2 LE three months ago. So far I have just about 400rds fmj, 100rds hp through it without any issues. My son loves shooting it but tends to hit the mag release under recoil. That’s the only complaint I can think of. It carries well in a Comptac MTAC. It’s been a while since I found a gun small enough for me to carry comfortably and heavy enough to enjoy shooting. I’ve carried a lot of different guns over the years and I actually enjoy carrying and shooting the PPS more than anything in a long time. I carry the 6rd mag with a maggguts plus 1 and the 7rd mag as a reload.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I like my Sig P365 and my SW340PD just fine for concealed carry, but my PPS M2 is still a great gun too. I sometimes like to carry it as I just shoot it so much more naturally than the others. I use the 7 round mag for carry and either the 6 or 8 as a spare, depending mostly on my manner of dress. So I give up a few rounds compared to the P365; but I feel that if I need more than 7+1, I’m probably in the wrong place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey RBH! Truthfully I was in the same boat as you a little more than 2 mo the ago. Purchased a new pps m2 thinking it would be awesome... and it is decent... but look into the barrel owning issue first. It can spur your trigger bar and mess up barrel. I have 600 rounds through mine and clean/maintain regularly... just noticed some damage on the lower feed ramp which is concerning. All that said... I’ve never had a malfunction but if I could do it over I’d get something different.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have carried my PPS M2 for several years now. The only thing I changed was I upgraded to night sights. I use a Comp Tac IWB holster and I love it. I have never had an issue with it, just make sure it has had the factory recall work done.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have carried my PPS M2 for several years now. The only thing I changed was I upgraded to night sights. I use a Comp Tac IWB holster and I love it. I have never had an issue with it, just make sure it has had the factory recall work done.
Yes, I realize this thread is 2 months old. And there may be delays in getting the factory service bulletin work done. But do pursue it.

There's a thread talking about it, and Walther did pay for everything and was prompt back when I had mine done a year ago.

Also, check on barrel slide ramp peening and see if you have it. There is also a thread on it. It's rare but apparently does occur.

It's a good single stack offering for relatively little money. I'd have felt cheated at the original MSRP or retail prices which were quite steep, but for the current sub $300 today, it's a solid choice.

If you like the PPS gen 2, the SW Shield is a very similar pistol and worth a look.

I actually prefer the PPS gen 1 myself, but to each their own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts