Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a PPS today and without cleaning or oiling put 100 rounds of PMC bronze and 15 golden saber's through it. I have a 7 and 8 round mag for the 9mm. I know from my research that the pps has had some ammo sensitivity. The only range ammo they had was the PMC. I had a dozen FTF with PMC and none with the +p Remington golden sabers. I went to walmart to purchased some white box as I heard that the pps has no issues with that fmj round. Has anyone had similar problems with FTF or PMC ammo with their guns? I came home and cleaned and oiled right away and it seems to be a little smoother with the slide action now. I had no other issues other than the feeding which I was contributing to either the tightness of a new gun or a magazine issue or the ammo it didn't like. It seemed to me that the last round would be pretty tight in their and not want to come out. After the first few rounds it oils feed the last 4 rounds just fine it was just on the first few rounds in the mag that it would not feed into chamber. This is going to be my edc so if the problems don't clear up I will have to trade in for a glock or something which I don't really want. I hope it works flawlessly after a good clean and oil. Please anyone with their opinion I would greatly appreciate on the subject. Thanks to all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went back to range after clean and oil same day and put 100 white box 12 sabers and 12 reloads NOT ONE HICCUP!! Yay this gun is awesome and is very accurate. My hands get chewed up a little bit however and am working on my grip. The extra space in the top of frame where slide meets rubs the top of the base of my thumb and if I lower my grip it pinches the web of my palm a bit where the top of the backstrap meets the frame. I may get a limbsaver but I don't want the extra bulk to carry. I plan on shooting the gun maybe once or twice every 3 months tops. It's my edc and I put 250 rounds threw it the first day to make sure it works flawless and I have some practice with it in differing scenarios. I hope the gun continues to impress me with no issues and is dependable enough to defend my life with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As bigfatdave stated it most likely is the break in period that is giving you issues. You can also try racking the slide 100 times or so to help loosen it up before trying hp ammo. I have put over 3,000 rounds through my PPS both fmj and hp including +p and 147gr ammo and have never had issues with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My hands get chewed up a little bit however and am working on my grip. The extra space in the top of frame where slide meets rubs the top of the base of my thumb and if I lower my grip it pinches the web of my palm a bit where the top backstrap meets the frame. I may get a limbsaver but I don't want the extra bulk to carry.
I have a limbsaver and it helps a lot and is worth it. It does not add much extra bulk to the gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a limbsaver and it helps a lot and is worth it. It does not add much extra bulk to the gun.
thank you for both your comments. the only problems i had were when i bought the gun and went straight to the range no clean oil or anything. also i didnt like the pmc very much. I went home after many FTF and racked slide many times and cleaned and oiled. I went back and had no problem with the white box and reloads and golden sabers the second time after i did what i should have done before i shot it the first time anyway. how do you carry the pps with the limb saver on? what holster?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't have any high end holsters, but I have an Uncle Mike's sidekick size 12 and a Gunmate holster that fits the PPS. Both of them work well for ccw. If you have a good holster the limbsaver will not cause the PPS to look anymore visable then it would anyway.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Glad to see that it finally worked out for you. And welcome to the forums!

I was going to ask what grain you were using? Not that it matters, because the manual doesn't specify other than with a note concerning +p and +p+, but I've noticed that with a few of my handguns, when first breaking them in they had cycle issues with lighter grains. Maybe since the springs were brand new in the PPS, the 115 grain(assuming 9mm) was not generating enough force to cycle it, thus some FTFs. Right now I run only 124 or 147 grain through all of my 9mms because of said issue. Just a thought.

And the limbsaver won't add bulk and shouldn't impact what holster you use. The great part about the limbsaver is that it adds most bulk to the back to cushion the recoil and even has a small tail that goes up into the little curve where you said the base of your thumb was getting some abuse. This tail eliminates that, I know because I have the same issue. At most it adds a couple millimeters to the overall width of the PPS in the grip, and doesn't interfere with CC or drawing, etc. I typically carry at 4 o clock with the holster.

As for the holster I use with it, the comp tac minotaur mtac for IWB and love it. There are a few threads that will touch on holster choices here, very diverse taste which will help identify some choices for you if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Went back to range after clean and oil same day and put 100 white box 12 sabers and 12 reloads NOT ONE HICCUP!!

My hands get chewed up a little bit however and am working on my grip. The extra space in the top of frame where slide meets rubs the top of the base of my thumb and if I lower my grip it pinches the web of my palm a bit where the top of the backstrap meets the frame.
Glad it ran for you after some TLC.

Try the other back strap. And experiment with placement before buying a grip sleeve.
I don't go for adding to the gun, myself. If I had a gun that I wanted to carry but beat up my hand (I don't ), I would do some defensive drills bare and then add a glove for extended blasting and/or casual shooting. A fingerless or mesh-back motorcycle glove will pad your palm and not interfere too much with training, I use the MC glove for extended shooting with a few ergonomically imperfect pistols (cz52, naa guardian, m57 yugo tokarev, etc)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts