Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long time Walther owner and forum member here, but this is my first PPS. I got started on Walthers with my first purchase of a PPK back in 1995. I decided to get a PPS M2 because...well just because I wanted one, and to see how it will compare to my well used and very reliable Glock 43. I am a holster junkie, so I am having a hard time holding off on a holster for it yet. So, can I get some info on this gun from some of you who have been shooting and carrying it? Besides ammo, and getting to the range, what should I be looking at for this pistol? Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome to the family! I've found it a very easy, shootable gun, especially with the extended magazines. Here are some relatively cheap mods I've made that have made it a bit more to my liking:

- Rubber Talon grips -- I found the stock plastic a little slippery, and the rubberized grips help immensely. If it won't be directly against your skin, you can consider the "skateboard tape" gritty version of Talon Grips that make it almost impossible to slip.

- Magguts +1 spring/follow magazine kits. Under the Walther section of their website, you'll find these for 6, 7 and 8 round PPS M2 mags. I have one in my 6 rounder and am likely to pick up another for the 8 round (which I now carry more often than not). $25 gets you the kit, 5 minutes gets it installed, and you gain one more round. I've run at least 200 rounds since installing that spring and it's never hiccuped.

- Holster depends on how and where you carry. If you plan to stick to plain sights, I think Vedder Holsters makes as good an option as anyone. I had that for a year, and if you add their Wing Claw attachment, it rotates the grip inward and you can better conceal the longer magazines, especially at the appendix position (which is my preference). If you need deep concealment, especially under dress clothes and a tucked-in shirt, look hard at 3 Speed Holsters -- no belt required, it's like the next evolution of a belly band but custom fitted to your gun. It'll never be as fast on the draw as an ordinary holster, but it's quite good.

- Laser -- if you choose to go this route, the Crimson Trace Laserguard is great. I got one in green with a lucky find at Optics Planet, were it was 60% off one day. That necessitated another holster -- Blade Tech AMBI Klipt is the one I got and it works great. Conveniently you can put Vedder's wing claw on that holster too -- pure dumb luck -- and I can conceal the 8 round extended magazine under a light t-shirt NO PROBLEM.

- Ammo -- I've never had it choke on anything, of any weight. I've run several brands of hollow points and they all feed and extract fine. If you want to kill time and amuse yourself you can watch "9mm Ammo Quest" videos on YouTube for ballistics results on short barrel pistols. Short story: some of the best short-barrel ammo is Federal HST 124g, Winchester Defend 147g, Hornady Critical Defense 115g. Tons more, of course, but those are reliable and very easy to find. I'd recommend HST for the simple reason that you can buy police surplus online very easily, at very good prices, 50 round boxes for less than the cost of the pretty 20-round boxes you'll see on shelves. You can actually train with it!

My primary CCW/home defense is a CZ P-07, and the PPS rides backup when clothing is lighter or I have to dress up. I think you'll love your new gun.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I sure do like the gun and have decided it’s a keeper for sure . Ordered a Clinger Stingray IWB for it. Now I’ll get a good leather OWB pancake holster for it. More range time with it tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
+1 on the Talon rubber grips for sure. I put them on all my guns including my rifles. I buy the big rectangular sheets and wrap it around the forends and grips. I even wrapped the grip of my Surefire M900 with it. Best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I sent the Clinger back. It was well made and all, but it rides to high for me...going with a PJ Holsters IWB, as I should have to start with. Got to the range again today and the PPS just feels better and better. I really like the way this gun handles and shoots. 150 rounds through her today. I am pleased.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like posted above Talons grips help a lot, I carry the 147 HST or Win Defendd 147. I put truglo sights on mine. Holsters I use either my Stealthgear ventcore or just a Sticky holster. I end up using the sticky most of the time, it's just easier and better concealment, especially when it's hot as it's been lately, and it's easier to take off and on because I have to go to gov buildings, Post office, and my kids school a lot and ccw is a no go. My PPS is my favorite gun next to my Q5, you made a great choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts