Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here and just got my new PPQ 9mm in today. It was the one listed on GunsAmerica.com by Jay's Guns, so I apologize if I beat any of you to the punch on that one.

Anyway, I picked it up and noticed that there were a lot of scratches on the extractor. I emailed the gun shop with a picture and this is their reply:

"The guns are test fired at the factory. The scratches from how I can see them look like transferance. ( not scratches but from another metal touching) A good gun oil and nylon brush or 0000 steel wool with a light touch and it should take them right out. Just make sure if you use the 0000 steel wool that you do not apply significant pressure or it will remove the finish. Lots of oil to make sure you dont rub it dry. I would reccomend Breakfree CLP. I hope this helps and I apolygize for the inconvieniance. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with."

Here's the picture:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxurozdntcjXZ3RHXzRtV3ZNVTg

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off having to buy it sight unseen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wouldn't sweat it. Clean her up as best you can, then go fire the Hell out of it. Repeat... :)
Personally, I think it adds character

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with it adding character, I just wish I added the character myself, not someone or something else.

BTW I can't wait until Saturday when I'm taking it shooting for the first time. I ordered 250 rounds from Freedom Munitions, and I'm going to shoot it all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It looks like marks from the brass on the shell casings. I see them on mine after running serveral hundred rounds through it. They should clean right up with a little solvent and a nylon brush.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It's not marks from brass, this part of the Q has a different finish then the rest of the outer slide etc, My gun shows some of the same characteristics. I would not even think twice about it, shoot it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
To fix:

Take the PPQ, and slide it up and down your driveway a few times.

And/or

Take a class and learn how to really run the gun.

You'll give up caring about surface scratches pretty quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like marks from the brass on the shell casings. I see them on mine after running serveral hundred rounds through it. They should clean right up with a little solvent and a nylon brush.
Is there any solvent you would recommend?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Take the PPQ, and slide it up and down your driveway a few times.
About how fast should I drag it, and how much pressure would you say is appropriate, Noodles? What if the pavement is wet? :p

Damage noticeable? Sure. Significant? Superficial. Not sure nylon brush and CLP will conceal it, maybe temporarily.

I understand the frustration in purchasing a new gun that doesn't appear to be completely new, but it is what it is. The PPQ is a hot item, and if it works- I'm sure a great number of people would gladly take it off your hands.

It is still desirable despite a few nicks :D You wouldn't get upset with a slightly scratched hammer, cause you know that it is a tool that has a purpose, that purpose isn't to sit in a box looking pristine. Otherwise, whydchabuyit?

Suppose you could pick up a new extractor if it truly concerns you.. Welcome to the forums, good luck :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't even bother. The marks will be back as soon as the pistol is shot anyway.

Truth is, more than a few new firearms are taken out & shot by the folks working at gunshops. The more interesting the firearm, the more likely it will be taken out for a test drive. Somebody may have kissed her first, but you're the one she went home with

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Haha lots of great info on this thread... I personally would fix it by taking it for a walk around my deck and use it to drive nails that have come out, then I could take it to the range and drive tacts with it.
I too was like you and cared about marks on my Q, it was my first gun. Then I was made fun of on here.... ( lesson learned) and now I can't count how many scratches and dings are on it. Now I enjoy my first scratches on new guns. That makes them mine.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Now days guitar companies charge a lot extra for guitars that look like they have been played hard for 40 years in night clubs every night then used as a boat oar. Just a matter of time before firearms manufactures catch on to this and off that "vintage gunfighter" finish.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Guitar analogies on a gun forum, YES!

What's cool about guitars, is that spruce matures with time as the vibrations from the strings relax the body of the guitar-- giving it a beautiful range as years pass. Cedar, usually the second most common material for a guitar top, is a bit quicker in terms of the "break-in" period, but produces a much warmer, mid-tone to begin with, and throughout the life.

Most guitar enthusiasts appreciate mature tone because they know it takes time and how valuable it is. Some gun owners seem to peek at something with a blemish, knick, scratch, and assume it must have been mistreated and it won't shoot properly. Obviously not the case!

My point is-- it takes an understanding and acceptance of an instruments real purpose to not be concerned with unimportant aspects... guitars, guns, tools, jeans, baseball glove, WHATEVER!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here is another one. I'm big into photography. I've photographed beautiful women to homeless people. People look at my beautiful women photos and say,..she's pretty. They look at the image for a few seconds and then loose interest.
People look at my photos of very old or homeless people with all their wrinkles, scars, wornout clothing, and the exclaim,..OH WOW !!!
They seem to not be able stop stop looking at or talking about them. Infa t a modern dance troop used my homeless project portfolio to project the images on a huge screen behind them as they dance a performance about being homeless. I'm not talking about professional bums Im referring to folks with real problems.
It's the "character" that things pick up over time that add to their mystic and interest. If you lost a new pocket knife you'd say,..well bummer. If you lost an old worn pocket knife you had carried for thirty years you would feel like an dear old friend had died.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts