Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new PPQ Q5 Matched SF and this thing almost failed to extract every round yesterday at the range. The ammo I was using was steel casing but my CZ shadow 2 Orange and Sig X5 Legion ate them up without a issue. I took a look at the extractor and it seems to be ok and can hold a round in it. Anyone else run into this issue with Winchester Forged ammo?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Winchester USA Forged ammo is probably the worst reliability ammo I've ever had the misfortune to buy.

It's the only ammo that has ever jammed up my Walther P99.

I would almost certainly blame the ammo. I suspect if you put some brass in there your Q5SF will run great.

The stepped chamber featured in the Walter improves accuracy but also largely responsible for the problems with steel case ammo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Winchester USA Forged ammo is probably the worst reliability ammo I've ever had the misfortune to buy.

It's the only ammo that has ever jammed up my Walther P99.

I would almost certainly blame the ammo. I suspect if you put some brass in there your Q5SF will run great.

The stepped chamber featured in the Walter improves accuracy but also largely responsible for the problems with steel case ammo.
This is great to hear and I hope I have a better experience today with Brass. You are so right about the Winchester USA Forged ammo, missing primer out of 2 bullets from 2 box out of a whole case.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You have THREE very high quality handguns that DESERVE brass cased ammo. I know and understand that ammo isn't as readily available as we'd all like but steel case ammo is asking for trouble. My poly frame Q5 Match hasn't given me the first problem of any kind but all I've used are my reloads in brass cases. I don't run steel in any of my guns.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would make sure you clean your Q5 before taking it to the range. Often times steel rounds have a coating on them that causes brass ammo to jam if fired immediately afterward without cleaning. Better safe than sorry with a pricey gun like the Q5 SF.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Steel cartridges should not be shot in barrels with stepped chambers like the Q5 SF. Save your steel for Glock, Sig, and Beretta.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Steel cartridges should not be shot in barrels with stepped chambers like the Q5 SF. Save your steel for Glock, Sig, and Beretta.
Interesting concept.🤔
Yesterday I was accused of spreading falsehoods online when I suggested steel case ammo is not ideally suited to stepped chamber firearms.

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Yesterday I was accused of spreading falsehoods online when I suggested steel case ammo is not ideally suited to stepped chamber firearms.
I think it's because the average gun owner doesn't understand the concept of obturation and it's affect on brass and steel. I also don't believe the average Walther owner even knows that the stepped chamber exists or what it's for. All we can do is try to educate folks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I avoid steel ammo on my Q5 SF for obvious reasons (not going to spend $1600+ on a pistol and the run the cheapest ammo I can find through it) but I was not aware of the stepped chamber. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I avoid steel ammo on my Q5 SF for obvious reasons (not going to spend $1600+ on a pistol and the run the cheapest ammo I can find through it) but I was not aware of the stepped chamber. Thanks for the heads up.
The stepped chamber was invented by Georg Luger and first used in the 1902 "Fat Barrel" Luger, an old model with a flat recoil spring and the very first 9X19mm chambered pistol. The idea was that the deduced chamber diameter near the case mouth would help seal the chamber better. Millions of Lugers were subsequently made with stepped chambers until Mauser discontinued the practice near the end of Luger production. The stepped chamber leaves a distinct ring around the mouth of a fired case.

Currently I know of two manufacturers who use a stepped 9mm chamber: Walther and Grand Power (Czech Republic) in their Stribog. Others may but I'm not aware of them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's a recent thread going into more detail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts