Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, looking for some help on my new PPQ I picked up yesterday. Put about 100 hundred rounds through it today, ran flawless. Love it. very accurate. When I disassembled for cleaning, I noticed the silver paint flakes from the recoil spring which seems normal from what I read. The only issue I found is a very slight amount of wear on the plastic frame from the recoil spring. The area is right in front of the locking block where the spring sits. I'm assuming this is from the spring compressing and slightly touching the frame. Anyone else notice this in their PPQ 9mm?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Haven't noticed it on mine, but there was a post recently about a similar issue..

Any photos?

·
Registered
85 Posts
is it me or are there a few people having issues with the new guns? I hope walther didn't sacrifice quality in the latest run, as I bought 2 in the last few weeks. It would be very disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
is it me or are there a few people having issues with the new guns? I hope walther didn't sacrifice quality in the latest run, as I bought 2 in the last few weeks. It would be very disappointing to say the least.
I'm pretty sure it is you, and the many, many, many new members here who are new to pistols and are looking these things over with magnifying glasses.

I don't see anything in that picture to make me think, "problem".

Pistols are simple tools. Load them, pull the trigger, and if it functions, it functions. Stop looking for things to be wrong with the pistol. Start focusing on yourselves, and your own shooting skills, rather than the likeliness of a possible problem with the pistol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Metal on metal friction. You're going to have wear. Not saying the OP doesn't necessarily have a problem, but if the gun is functioning without a hitch, just enjoy it. Shoot the heck out of it! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a closer look it seems to wipe off, it looks like paint dust from the recoil spring. Just in case anyone is wondering.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is you, and the many, many, many new members here who are new to pistols and are looking these things over with magnifying glasses.

I don't see anything in that picture to make me think, "problem".

Pistols are simple tools. Load them, pull the trigger, and if it functions, it functions. Stop looking for things to be wrong with the pistol. Start focusing on yourselves, and your own shooting skills, rather than the likeliness of a possible problem with the pistol.
Can we sticky this post?:) I was there once and this is the advice I needed... Shoot on, the marks give it personality and also sooner or later you will stop counting them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my 2nd PPQ M2 (I purchased 2 of them). Even before firing it, when I took it apart to do a cleaning/lubing, I noticed that after removing the recoil spring, there was a 1 inch streak of silver paint on the barrel from the locking area. It caught my attention because my first PPQ M2 I purchased didn't have any markings on the barrel. (I had to return it due to missing backstraps in the case)

I tried to thoroughly scrub the outside with cloth and Slip 2000 and it mostly came off but definitely still a trace of it. I hoped everything was okay and I went ahead and reassembled it and took it out for 100 rounds.

When coming back home, and disassembling it, I again noticed this 1 inch of streak of silver paint. I also went online looking up the issue, and it is possible that as the slide moves per shot, the recoil rod possibly bends enough so that the spring rubs against the barrel. I do worry about metal on metal wearing, but haven't really done anything about it. I heard from some threads if I call Walther, they'll ask me to send my gun in, but I don't really want to go without for a few weeks.

Is this a real concern? I will try to shoot some rounds and take a picture when I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just to close this out here is the answer from Carl Walther in regards to my original question:

Yes this is a normal wear and will not influence the accuracy or function of this pistol.
Best regards
Carl Walther GmbH
Germany

1 - 17 of 17 Posts