Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new PPQ for Christmas (Yea!) I have been wanting one since I rented one at a range a few months back. Then after doing some research found out that everyone LOVES the smooth silk on glass trigger.
I think I may have a lemon.
When I pull the on mine trigger it stutter steps it's way through. No where near the smooth trigger on my cheap $300 LC9s Pro.
I have to say I'm very disappointed.
That being said, I'm hoping that some of you Walther gurus can shed some light on how best to correct my dilemma.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Put a drop of lube on the firing pin block and work it into the slide a few times with an oily Q-tip. Report back and let us know if this helps the issue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Afternoon TimmC;

No matter what you do to that PPQ you probably won't match the LC9s sweet trigger pull the as LC9 striker fired has a very nice factory trigger.

My PPQ came factory direct with a very gritty trigger pre-travel (broke clean & smooth but the pre-pull was horrendous).

I have worked on two other late production PPQ's (my brothers & my friends) with the very same nasty/gritty trigger pre-travel pull.

Your gun if fixable but not easily--assuming it is the same issue that my PPQ & the two others had then your problem is more than likely in the FPB (firing pin block) plunger area.

Some of it is the trigger bar shark fin to FPB plunger interference drag, some is in the plunger drag in it's bore, & probably a little in the plunger spring to inner plunger hole.

Putting oil or grease on mine & my brothers actually made the pre-pull feel worse (more jittery & jumpy)

My final fix on my PPQ & my brothers PPQ was a lighter & slightly smaller diameter plunger spring & on my friends it also took a new firing pin block plunger.

Unless you really know what your are doing I would suggest that you call Walther & have them issue a gun return shipping label & have them repair your gritty trigger as that FPB plunger & spring is a gun drop safety device.

You can try oiling it or shooting the gun a lot but those never helped the 3 PPQ's I'm familiar with.

Even sending it back to Walther is kind of hit & miss as one member of my shooting club had to send his back to Walther 3 times before it got properly repaired (but they did finally repair it to a have decent trigger pull)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Balance & Mildot,
Thank You for the reply. I did as Balance said and added a very small amount of TW25B to the firing block, and as Mildots case it seemed worse. Since this gun is brand new and never fired, I wont monkey with spring changes ( I'm sure I will later, since I can't leave anything alone) . I will call Walther and send it them and hope for the best

·
Registered
130 Posts
Noted a similar experience with my PPS. Took the stirker assembly out and there were pieces of plastic in the striker channel. Blem 'em out and all was fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just got my .45 and I have to say - it came with the worst trigger that I have seen in my life, and I have been through hundreds of guns!

Quite an achievement!

It IS the firing pin block, for sure, because when I take it out it becomes very smooth.

As it is, it has to go a peak in the middle of the pre-travel, and that peak is at least 3.5lb, and it ends sharply, so if you are not careful, you jump from it right through the firing line!

I polished the block, and the shark fin, and it helped a bit, but it had not made it nearly as good as my 9mm is.

As I press on the block, it moves freely, but I guess the lateral force from the shark fin creates the drag.

This is totally disappointing, considering that I tried an identical gun in the store, and it was silky smooth!

Looks like Walther's quality control has VERY long way to go.

Any other suggestions at this point?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I just got my .45 and I have to say - it came with the worst trigger that I have seen in my life, and I have been through hundreds of guns!
If it is that bad I'm sure the best answer is to send it back to Walther, considering that these pistols have a reputation for having one of the best striker fired triggers out.

We've been discussing gritty triggers on this forum since the PPQ was released almost five years ago. For the vast majority of owners who have had a gritty trigger on their PPQ, myself included, lube on the firing pin block, and rounds through the pistol, managed to smooth things out. Now, I don't need any lube on the FPB anymore, and my trigger is smooth as glass.

Others have tried other methods to get an immediate improvement as well:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/24647-ppq-butter.html

It is possible that the earlier PPQ pistols had gritty triggers for other reasons than the newer ones, but most of the threads that pinpointed the issue, pinpointed it at the firing pin block. I'd suggest trying lube inside the striker channel in the slide, first.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thank you for your advice, and I did both oil and lube, that made no difference.

I might try the smaller block spring next. Does anyone has the specs for the spring? I can kind of measure its force, but not precisely.

·
Registered
821 Posts
why is it I keep reading that people have tendencies to stage the trigger during the trigger stroke? It's the only way you'd notice the trigger feel outside of dry firing.

I'm of the belief if your trigger finger touches the trigger you pull straight through, deliberately and without stopping, until the shot is fired. I feel that I read comments and statements that people shoot by staging far too often, and I'm on a personal mission to explain the pitfalls of this particular bad habit. I'm also confused because Chipmunk doesn't sound like a novice shooter.

Chipmunk, say it isn't so? Are you only noticing this gritty wall during dry fire?

MilDot will need to share his spring specs, but I'd personally recommend against this course of action, as he mentioned. Monkeying around with the factory safety part could be problematic depending on the role and purpose of your PPQ. Send it back to Walther.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I might try the smaller block spring next. Does anyone has the specs for the spring? I can kind of measure its force, but not precisely.
Morning Chipmunk

I think I measured my reduced power FPB block spring & posted that in a past thread on "PPQ gritty trigger pull".

In any case what I been using & getting a VERY CLEAN non gritty trigger pull is an aftermarket sear spring from a S&W M&P .45 with a couple of coils cut off. (works a treat)

I will caution you that the more you polish the FPB plunger ear & the more that you polish the trigger bar shark fin the worse it might feel on the trigger pre pull (at least that is what I have found so far)--

Same with oil or grease-- mine & my brothers actually felt worse after oil or grease was tried.

The ONLY thing that I now polish is the INSIDE of the FPB plunger (spring hole) using a cut off Q tip (the plastic stalk seems just the right size to polish the inside hole)--I use some Mothers on the Q tip stalk & Q tip in cordless drill.

From the PPQ's that I have significantly improved the trigger pre-pull it seems to take a slightly smaller OD FPB spring & a spring with less overall tension, Then when installing the spring MAKE DARN SURE THE SPRING IS SEATED IN THE hole that is in the slide under the FPB.

If I get a chance today or tomorrow I will try to measure the spring wire OD, spring OD, & length & post it for you here (It won't be right away though so look back later)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thank you guys! And yes, only dry firing so far, but believe me, this trigger was atrocious! It is much better now, but still nowhere near what my other PPQ has.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It is much better now, but still nowhere near what my other PPQ has.
This could be good news for those of us who want to figure this out. You have one that has a gritty trigger, and one that is smooth, so you can compare both.

Take the FPB off of both pistols, mark them, and then swap them out on the two different pistols. See if that alone makes a difference. Then try the FPB springs. See if that makes a difference.

With the FPB and spring out of the pistol, check the inside of the FPB where the spring rides, to see if there is some type of burr there that could be causing it to bind to the spring when it is rising. Try lube on the inside of the firing pin block as well, and if this helps, this is more than likely where the grittiness is coming from.

If one is smooth, and one is gritty, then the answer as to why is in one of your two pistols.

·
Premium Member
13,799 Posts
Only as a test, remove the FPB and spring, reassemble the slide on the frame and pull the trigger. Is it still gritty?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Morning Chipmunk;

OK, I just measured my present FPB spring--

I had a thought-- what I posted in a past thread was where I was at (at) that time. I have since removed that spring & installed it in a friends PPQ (he also had a PPQ with a very gritty trigger).

Here is where I'm at now (my gun just went over 8,000 rounds) & still feels great in the trigger pre-pull (feels about as good as no FPB in the gun)

The spring is an- APEX (sear I think) spring from a S&W M&P .45 (left over from old S&W trigger jobs)

The spring is: APEX --.090" wire od-- .0110" spring od-- about .4010" long. (original spring length appx .5501")

I suggest that you start out long on the spring maybe only a couple of coils cut off, then try it, then if still not to your liking then cut off a little more until you get close to the .400" range.

I also STRONGLY suggest that you don't mess with your guns safety FPB system unless you know the risks & know what you are doing. I'm not saying in any way that you don't, I'm just posting a general warning about messing with gun internal safety's.

While I haven't measured the FPB force-to-stroke with my modified FPB spring-- to me it feels about like a Glock FPB with the Wolff reduced power FPB spring (I have a good feel for that Glock setup as I have done hundreds of those over the years)

Added: if you have polished on your existing FPB plunger & the lighter spring still doesn't give you the feel that you want you m-i-g-h-t have to replace your existing FPB plunger with a new (unmolested) plunger as I have found that issue in one gun that I worked on (the owner polished his FPB parts & made it even more gritty feeling)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Any time these threads pop up lately, we send these guys in all different directions, almost immediately. My suggestion would be to go in this order:

Try to fix it yourself without making any permanent changes, first, with lube.

If that doesn't work, try sending it back to Walther (post #13).

If that doesn't work, try them again.

If that doesn't work, then go with the permanent changes, so long as the end result is a safe pistol.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of where exactly this gritty trigger issue is coming from. It seems to always be coming from the firing pin block, but sometimes lube works, sometimes bending trigger bars works, sometimes altering springs and safety devices works, and then sometimes it doesn't, for some reason.

I liked it better when just lube would fix the issue. If you are going to alter the spring in the firing pin block, I'm not sure how you would test to see if it is still strong enough, and safe. How do we know if the spring isn't on the borderline of being just strong enough from the factory?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just my two cents but I believe the problem lies in the relationship between the FPB and how it makes contact with the so called shark fin. I had to send my PPQ back for repair of the trigger problem twice before it was fixed. They replaced the trigger assembly and I can see the difference where the shark fin contacts the FPB, I used to be able to see a small portion of the FPB top surface, now I don't see any of that top surface. I believe the stamped trigger bar (shark fin) is the culprit.

I may be wrong but the way I see it is that when the shark fin contacts the FPB either to far inboard or outboard the FPB doesn't ride in it's bore hole stright up and down but rather at an angle causing the FPB spring to flex into an unlinear shape thus causing the gritty/notchy feeling as the spring coils ride over the edge of the spring seating hole.

·
Premium Member
13,799 Posts
^^^^Yep, and that's exactly why I suggested he remove the FPB and try the trigger. That should pretty much tell you what your next move should be.

As a note, I just picked up another PPQ 9mm FAZ 8XXX. The trigger pre-travel and the break are just like my other Q's. I removed the magazine and took a look at the trigger bar and FPB engagement/alignment.....PERFECT...NO tweaking needed. I think this is the best alignment I've seen on any of my Q's, P99's, SW99's.

While I was sitting at the kitchen table in my underware fingerin' the trigger....I was holding the pistol in my hand, elbow resting on the table, pistol pointed at the ceiling, head tilted upward, eyes closed as I slowly pulled the trigger.....trying with all my might and extra sharp finely honed senses for ANY roughness/grittness, etc. It was then that my extra sharp hearning (had my hearing aids in and turned up all the way) that I heard this noise....kinda reminded me of one of the doggies getting a drink. With slobber slowly forming at the corner of my lips, I slowly opened one eye and there it was.....the 'little' dog had climbed up on the table and was drinking beer out of my glass. I hate it when he does that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I will try shooting 50-100 rounds through it, the service guy says it should smooth it out - I called them. And then I will try the FPB swap, I thought about it last night, but got too lazy. Yes, it is totally smooth with the FPB removed, so it must be the way the fin drags over it.

Also, the gun makes funny noises as you move the trigger through its pre-travel, it is like a haunted house sighing... sounds funny, but it is there, the other gun is deal quiet and serious. It is not scratching, it reminds me the sound of a bellow as it sucks in air. :)

In addition, on the 45 the slide moves as you move the trigger - extra looseness in the rails? The 9mm slide stays put.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts